testtest

Where do you sit?

I go out to dinner as a family of six. We don’t eat out often but I try and be as close to the bathroom as a six top can get. Robbery, bar fight, or whatever may come - I like my odds best getting all my little ones into the bathroom and having a decent position to defend. Also, we usually have a lot of “potty” breaks, so it’s nice to be close.

As I use to tell students when I taught damage control (fire, flooding, etc) in the Navy, you can "what if" stuff/scenarios all day, and every situation will be different, but until it actually happens, no one knows exactly how things will play out, and you hope for the best. :)

Sit where I can watch the door, locate exits on entrance and if given the chance I will suggest to the person seating us my table of preference. I do my best to not sit in a booth. My wife is getting pretty good at picking tables. Funny, but I was doing this long before I started to carry.

Sit where I can watch the door, locate exits on entrance and if given the chance I will suggest to the person seating us my table of preference. I do my best to not sit in a booth. My wife is getting pretty good at picking tables. Funny, but I was doing this long before I started to carry.
"Funny, but I was doing this long before I started to carry."

Ditto. 👍

I've always sat on the outside of a booth - I'm 6'4", so I don't "fit", at least not for very long without getting stiff and sore. I also have always disliked sitting with my back to a room so I always sit with my back to a wall or a partition when possible.

As a "sound guy" who does a lot of live concerts, I can hear...everything. And my brain is wired to discern between sources, and locations. So, while I don't "worry" about things per se...my brain can pick out anomalies with sound or motion pretty quickly, even passively, which will immediately bring my attention to that area. Kinda like when I'm running a concert and a microphone starts to feed back, or an instrument doesn't sound right - even when I'm not focused on THAT source, I have to find and adjust it instantly, to keep the problem from snowballing.

Now that I EDC, I do place myself based on access to my IWB holster. Wider booths, I sit with it towards the inside as long as I have room to access it. Narrow booths, I sit with it outside so I'm not shoved up against whoever I'm sitting next to.

Sorry TSiWRX I don't have the blue prints of the building. Most certainly danger can come from any direction. For all I know someone could drop in through the air vents. I'm covering entrance and exits inside the main seating area. That's pretty much the extent I am concerned with. I'm not R2D2 and can't spin my head in circles, however if a crazy cook would come from the kitchen I'm sure I could respond appropriately. There is no way at all times to keep your eyes on all entrances, exit's, emergency exits in the back that you don't have access to. And can't make any guarantees, but would bet I'm not the only on packing heat. 👍
Where I live I know I'm not the only one.

We all enjoy lovely family dinners at a nice restaurant but how much thought goes into seating placement? Let’s say you and your family go out to Olive Garden. Do you tell them I want a seat facing the door close to an exit? Any time I go into a restaurant I try to make sure I am always in full view of the door and I don’t have my back to a window. As I am walking to my seat I am constantly looking for the exit points and formulating an exit plan for my family. I keep an eye out for the watchers. Gibbs rule always watch the watchers. I always make sure that in the event of someone coming into a restaurant with malicious intent that I’m in a spot where I can appropriately react. Let’s also say this event does happen do you just save your family or do you get as many people out as you can? For me I try to get as many out as possible. So tell me where do you sit? What do you look for? What’s your plans? Who do you save?
I am in total agreement with your idea. I will protect my family, my church, and those caught in between. The paramedic side of me makes certain to save everyone possible!

I put way more thought into this than is probably healthy. My wife thinks I'm an idiot. Secondary and tertiary exits, back to the wall. Bathroom exits in view. At least a few tables between me and anything else, always sit on the aisle, etc.. My dad is an old bar fighter. He flat refuses to sit with his back to the door. Even when I point out another door behind him. :)

Interesting post. I believe Bill Hickok is often referenced as an example of what can happen if you sit with your back to the door. For some reason, this thought always runs through my mind when we're following the hostess to our table in a restaurant. I make sure to seat myself in the seat with the best overall visibility, all doors/exits included. My wife, on the other hand, is always watching to make sure we don't get seated near the restroom. :)

Regarding what I would do if something bad did go down, I would obviously make sure to save those I care about first. After that, I honestly don't know. I'm pretty sure my wife would tackle me if I had a thought of going back in.

Interesting post. I believe Bill Hickok is often referenced as an example of what can happen if you sit with your back to the door. For some reason, this thought always runs through my mind when we're following the hostess to our table in a restaurant. I make sure to seat myself in the seat with the best overall visibility, all doors/exits included. My wife, on the other hand, is always watching to make sure we don't get seated near the restroom. :)

Regarding what I would do if something bad did go down, I would obviously make sure to save those I care about first. After that, I honestly don't know. I'm pretty sure my wife would tackle me if I had a thought of going back in.

I took a trip out west over the summer and spent a few days in Deadwood ( I F'ing love The Black Hills). I drank in the bar that is where the bar Hickok was killed was. It is built on the foundation. Deadwood is a gulch. It was originally called Deadwood Gulch. The flooding forced them to raise the street by about 10' so the spot ol' Bill was killed is actually in the basement. I paid $10 to go down there and drink my beer. Once you get past the tourist crap Deadwood is a cool little town.

Back