testtest

Which Ready Position is Right? - Master Class Ep. 20

Respect Hackathorn but he's abit old school.

While the John Wick movies are fantasy they involve professional training by KR through Taran Tactical which is not fly-by-night operation. Plus, the movie theme is alot different than a typical LEO/personal defense.

Carry positions should be flexible depending upon circumstances.

My .02

I have always utilized a low ready (pistol) and prefer to get small behind the AR while holding the mag-well. I am not a proponent of all this over articulated robotics that you see now a days. Its almost like some sort of dance cult which is geared toward seeing who can develop the koolest 27 point maneuver. I believe in a simple , unencumbered and economical method to just about anything related to "the fight". When I say "the fight" I am of course referring to lawful self defense. Low ready is very simple and it works for me.

Talyn is 100% correct. It depends on the situation. If possible threats are above you, in front of you, etc.. Someone a few weeks ago posted a link to what is basically a US government manual for the M4. It covers everything to do with the weapon and it's use for a soldier. And it covered the different carry positions quite succinctly.

Talyn is 100% correct. It depends on the situation. If possible threats are above you, in front of you, etc.. Someone a few weeks ago posted a link to what is basically a US government manual for the M4. It covers everything to do with the weapon and it's use for a soldier. And it covered the different carry positions quite succinctly.
Agreed Bob, and even Mr Hackathorn showed 4 holds he approves of out of the five he showed in the video depending on the situation. Whether it's clearing the streets in Brazil, ready hold in a church situation or being at ready with hand on firearm in holster, it all depended on the situation.
The gun play in the John Wick movies, always has him in extreme firefights, and the way Keanu Reeves trains to shoot those scenes, is pretty realistic to me. Taran Butler has trained several Hollywood types including directors, and actors. He trained Michael Mann, who has done some real realistic fire fights, with the movie "Heat" being on of my favorites.

Agreed Bob, and even Mr Hackathorn showed 4 holds he approves of out of the five he showed in the video depending on the situation. Whether it's clearing the streets in Brazil, ready hold in a church situation or being at ready with hand on firearm in holster, it all depended on the situation.
The gun play in the John Wick movies, always has him in extreme firefights, and the way Keanu Reeves trains to shoot those scenes, is pretty realistic to me. Taran Butler has trained several Hollywood types including directors, and actors. He trained Michael Mann, who has done some real realistic fire fights, with the movie "Heat" being on of my favorites.

Keanu is definitely impressive. As a 3 gun guy, an action hero and a human being.

Of course it depends on the situation, that should probably go without saying. Anyone can conjure up a scenario where firing backwards between your legs might be what is called for. If a person is going to ask me what "ready position" is right in regards to my personal opinion, I am going to answer narrowly and in the spirit of what I consider generally, commonly or most of the time, to be the "right" position. Just about anyone who knows their way around a defensive handgun is going to likely have already formed a mental construct as it relates to what [is] or isnt their ready position. If you ask me, I know what it is.. its a low ready. Does that mean it would be a low ready if facing a charging T-rex or defending against a gaggle of bandits leaping over a 10ft wall? .. of course not. Does that mean that I would clear a structure or maneuver in tight spaces while utilizing a low ready?.. of course not. Never the less, I am not a fence sitter and would say if I were to be a proponent of one position or another, it would be the low ready. Others might do something different and that is fine. Its what make the world go round.

Last edited:
That was me.
Yes, it was the Army manual for employment of a rifle, but not a pistol.
Situation dictates everything.

Respect Hackathorn but he's abit old school.

While the John Wick movies are fantasy they involve professional training by KR through Taran Tactical which is not fly-by-night operation. Plus, the movie theme is alot different than a typical LEO/personal defense.

Carry positions should be flexible depending upon circumstances.

My .02
Well said.
Not all scenarios call for same actions, being flexible is what picked up from video and is a good point.
A good 360 view of what's up, down and all around is best for whatever maneuver called for.
But, not always time for ideal situations either. Even then, things can change in a heartbeat.

Of course it depends on the situation, that should probably go without saying. Anyone can conjure up a scenario where firing backwards between your legs might be what is called for. If a person is going to ask me what "ready position" is right in regards to my personal opinion, I am going to answer narrowly and in the spirit of what I consider generally, commonly or most of the time, to be the "right" position. Just about anyone who knows their way around a defensive handgun is going to likely have already formed a mental construct as it relates to what [is] or isnt their ready position. If you ask me, I know what it is.. its a low ready. Does that mean it would be a low ready if facing a charging T-rex or defending against a gaggle of bandits leaping over a 10ft wall? .. of course not. Does that mean that I would clear a structure or maneuver in tight spaces while utilizing a low ready?.. of course not. Never the less, I am not a fence sitter and would say if I were to be a proponent of one position or another, it would be the low ready. Others might do something different and that is fine. Its what make the world go round.

I'm 100% certain the different ready positions weren't invented with t-rex's in mind or firing backwards between your legs. They were invented for efficient staging when clearing a structure, breaching a structure, mobilizing in valleys, bottom floors of structures with balconies, probable threats in close proximity straight ahead, at a distance straight ahead, etc...

If we were strictly talking handguns and strictly talking percentages I think almost everyone is looking at low ready. Particularly as civilians in public spaces.

As a civilian, be prepared to go to court and defend yourself legally if you pull that gun out of the holster. Very good chance of being arrested by the cops for that because they will cuff you and sort it out later. You do not want the ride to the station in the back seat...better limber up your checkbook for thousands in legal fees no matter how righteous your incident was.
Cheers Gofer

I often pocket carry and would use the "nonchalant hand in the pocket" for the ready position in that scenario. The trick is to get the hand in there before you need it, which brings situational awareness into play as usual. If it'a a "give me your wallet" scenario, I'd hold up my support hand, say "OK! Here. Don't hurt me"! My pocket holsters all have a rectangular outer flap that prints like a wallet and disguise the pistol very well to enable draw, move, and fire. Another is to pull out my wallet and drop it for distraction while backing away, giving me time when the attacker bends to pick it up.. Other carry methods require different tactics depending on the situation. Practice and train with all carry methods used for best results.

Last edited:
I'm 100% certain the different ready positions weren't invented with t-rex's in mind or firing backwards between your legs. They were invented for efficient staging when clearing a structure, breaching a structure, mobilizing in valleys, bottom floors of structures with balconies, probable threats in close proximity straight ahead, at a distance straight ahead, etc...

If we were strictly talking handguns and strictly talking percentages I think almost everyone is looking at low ready. Particularly as civilians in public spaces.
You seemingly have missed the point as I was not trying to be literal. Shooting between your legs is not a ready position, nobody on the planet has ever seen a live T-rex and I didnt suggest otherwise. I was simply highlighting the fact that "it depends", is a rather cheesy answer in regards to a rather general question.

I appreciate your explanation of a ready position but I think everyone here understands the premise. Ready positions are not rocket science. Its simply a neutral position from which important body movements can launch from without being unduly encumbered.

Of course there are positions that are more conductive to this tactic or that tactic, this task or that task. Sure, people will commonly use what method is most practicable under the circumstances. Sure, methods will vary depending on what is happening and what has happened. These thing are often born out of necessity and at some point are repeated and ultimately adopted as professional methodology.... we all know this. As far as the question or "consideration" at hand, I think that in the absence of specificity ie..( what is best for traversing a stairwell or what is best in a close stack, dispersed stack), you simply consider the question generally and offer a general answer. Although "it depends" might be the intellectually honest answer in some circumstance, it still comes across as cheesy. At least to me it does.

Which ready position is right?.. Generally speaking, I would say- low ready.

Last edited:
You seemingly have missed the point as I was not trying to be literal. Shooting between your legs is not a ready position, nobody on the planet has ever seen a live T-rex and I didnt suggest otherwise. I was simply highlighting the fact that "it depends", is a rather cheesy answer in regards to a rather general question.

I appreciate your explanation of a ready position but I think everyone here understands the premise. Ready positions are not rocket science. Its simply a neutral position from which important body movements can launch from without being unduly encumbered.

Of course there are positions that are more conductive to this tactic or that tactic, this task or that task. Sure, people will commonly use what method is most practicable under the circumstances. Sure, methods will vary depending on what is happening and what has happened. These thing are often born out of necessity and at some point are repeated and ultimately adopted as professional methodology.... we all know this. As far as the question or "consideration" at hand, I think that in the absence of specificity ie..( what is best for traversing a stairwell or what is best in a close stack, dispersed stack), you simply consider the question generally and offer a general answer. Although "it depends" might be the intellectually honest answer in some circumstance, it still comes across as cheesy. At least to me it does.

Which ready position is right?.. Generally speaking, I would say- low ready.
Likewise you seem to have missed my point. Which is that your response indicating you believe " It depends" is a cheesy, packaged answer was, shall we say less than corroborated, by your T Rex reference. In fact it seemed to imply that you thought it was a joke. And believe me I know that most people here understand the premise. It wasn't my intention to explain it in detail until I saw you reference ridiculous scenarios about T rex's and shooting between your legs.

You may not know that most people here continually train. So a thread here titled " Which ready position is right" is always going to illicit responses you would expect from people that take it seriously.

Likewise you seem to have missed my point. Which is that your response indicating you believe " It depends" is a cheesy, packaged answer was, shall we say less than corroborated, by your T Rex reference. In fact it seemed to imply that you thought it was a joke. And believe me I know that most people here understand the premise. It wasn't my intention to explain it in detail until I saw you reference ridiculous scenarios about T rex's and shooting between your legs.

You may not know that most people here continually train. So a thread here titled " Which ready position is right" is always going to illicit responses you would expect from people that take it seriously.

Historically speaking, it is not uncommon that members of a gun board would train often ( or at least more often than most people). I assumed as much in regards to the members here at [thearmorlylife]. Thank you for elevating my loosely accepted belief to more of a qualified probability.

As far as cheesy goes, eh,. that just how I feel about it. Others may feel differently and that is perfectly fine. I have offered my thoughts, stand by them and hope that someone may benefit. Although that is my hope, it does not mean that some wont consider my opinion lacking. No matter, I enjoy the company and conversation.

Likewise you seem to have missed my point.
Heck, I dont doubt it.. I miss the point quite regularly. I am probably missing the point right now.

I am not a "last word" kind of person so I will gladly yield the closing.

I have enjoyed the discussion

Historically speaking, it is not uncommon that members of a gun board would train often ( or at least more often than most people). I assumed as much in regards to the members here at [thearmorlylife]. Thank you for elevating my loosely accepted belief to more of a qualified probability.

As far as cheesy goes, eh,. that just how I feel about it. Others may feel differently and that is perfectly fine. I have offered my thoughts, stand by them and hope that someone may benefit. Although that is my hope, it does not mean that some wont consider my opinion lacking. No matter, I enjoy the company and conversation.

Heck, I dont doubt it.. I miss the point quite regularly. I am probably missing the point right now.

I am not a "last word" kind of person so I will gladly yield the closing.

I have enjoyed the discussion

I wasn't trying to suggest your opinion wasn't valid Kashira. Just having a light hearted difference of opinion. We're all sympatico around here. ;-)

Back