testtest

Which Type of Shotgun Load is Beat for Home Defense

Good article. I say it depends on your specific circumstances. Personally I load HD shotguns with 00B, although a couple of them that afford me the ability to choose loads without reloading are loaded with 00B and 1 oz slugs traveling 1600fps. :)

I have self defense, Low recoil 00 Buck shot loads (8 pellets vs 9), in my Mossgerg 590M Shockwave and Remington Tac14DM. I've read that #4 Buck is a good home defense shotgun load, but I'm far from an expert in these matters.

I have self defense, Low recoil 00 Buck shot loads (8 pellets vs 9), in my Mossgerg 590M Shockwave and Remington Tac14DM. I've read that #4 Buck is a good home defense shotgun load, but I'm far from an expert in these matters.

Lots of people espouse it's virtues. Probably a good choice if you live in an apartment or have concerns about people in the next room.

I have some of the low recoil, flitecontrol or whatever it's called. They're the first 5 rounds in my Mossberg 500 which is currently closest to my bed. You gotta watch putting it in automatics I suppose.

I'm with Talyn; for strictly interior defense (and assuming 12ga), I think #4 buck strikes the right balance between optimal terminal effect in threats and reducing the chance of excessive overpenetration in structure. My second choice is #1 buck, which would be a better choice if the fight is expected to move outdoors, and longer range (out to 50yds or so). Federal's Tactical FliteControl #1 is known for putting almost all pellets on target at that range.

My home-defense shotgun is actually a 20 gauge, so I use a different load than most. Both Remington and Federal offer #3 Buck 20 pellet loads. I have nothing agaist the 12 gauge, but my wife controls a 20 gauge better and feels more confident with it.

The three shotguns we keep in the master bedroom are all loaded with #4 buckshot.

Most LEOs today that operate in urban environments load their shotguns with #4 because of the potential for over penetration and excessive travel. Most state police or troopers carry 00B and/or slugs if they still carry shotguns at all.

I'm not sure I can imagine following a fight outside given the laws in our state, but if I went outside I would be switching to a carbine and a handgun before exiting the house.

Last edited:
I'm about to paint with a pretty broad brush here, but after thinking about it you may find you agree with me ..............

Why would anyone limit and/or disadvantage themselves in the world of home defense by using anything but a shotgun? A short shotgun, a big bore shotgun (12ga preferred) and something other than a slug for maximum shot placement at short distances. A slug requires much more proficiency than buckshot, 00B - #4B. Unless you are a very proficient shooter, why wouldn't you choose either of these?

At almost any distance withing the confines of most homes you will not see a distance where shot of any size will expand to a point of wasting pellets. I don't know of anyone who has an interior room longer than 30 yards, do you? The slug (most of them) also will usually be more apt to penetrate interior walls where other members of the family might be, or maybe even into a neighbors house or apartment not to mention that if you do know someone with a room 30 yrds long, you're pretty likely to miss with a slug at that distance anyway.

I think if we're honest, we will accept that by far the majority of home owners, even those who are ready, willing and able, and even semi-practiced to protect their home and family are not expert shooters. If we can accept that idea, it should be readily apparent why the slug is not the best choice for home defense ammo for most folks. It must also be accepted that in any event of a home defense situation, the moment will be tense, nerves will be at high level, and with that one big pellet, some amount of aiming (or at least a concentrated pointing) will be required increasing the chance over that of buckshot of a miss.

In the final analysis I just don't see how any shotgun/slug combination would be a better choice than most any shotgun/00B combo.

What do you think?

On edit: Someone else mentioned that he's not likely to follow a bad guy back outside in any event. I've got to say I agree with that 100%. If I've been successful in defending my home and family, why on earth would I expose myself to the outside and any unknown attackers?

It would have to be a very narrow set of circumstances to draw me outside during/after a home invasion/intruder situation. That’s not to say I haven’t prepared for that situation. And I’m not limiting myself to a specific type of weapon for that situation. The particular circumstances of a situation will no doubt influence the scope of any tactical response. How many armed people outside my home? How many people with me inside my home and how many of them are capable of fighting, securing entry points, etc.

In all reality such a scenario is less likely than winning millions in the powerball. And I don’t play lottery games.

Well if a flock of birds or clay pigeons invade your house Adam, you'll be all set if you pick some of those loads up. 🤣
I have enough now. I stocked up when Gander Mountain sold out to Camping World. I don't get to do any small game hunting anymore , because of my jobs.

Back