testtest

Who all have sent their PRODIGY in to SA ? Results ?

Rick53

Operator
I'm asking because I ran in to someone last week . Who told me he had no issues with his Prodigy . But sent it back anyway . He said they treated him to new parts , polished ramp , Trigger adjustment etc . He said he told them he just wanted it inspected . Nothing was wrong . But now it runs like a Swiss watch. It did shoot smooth .

So should I send mine in ? I haven't said anything in the forum . I've tried to be positive, and defend the platform . I believe I've put just over 2000 rounds thru it . Keep a light lube on it . I haven't had 1 FTF .

My Safety isn't loose . It's tight. So tight I sometimes have to use my left hand to engage it . My Trigger is like Butter . Very mushy for a 1911 . I've just gotten used to it .

If I am firing slow for distance hits . I could swear my slide feels like it hits a speed bump like in a parking lot . If I am firing fast I don't notice anything .

It's extremely accurate . I bought a plate for the 507 K because it was all I could originally find . Seems to work ok but seems high . Are the RMR plates any better ?

Last thing : Anyone have the guide rod come loose ? I carry the wrench in my pocket . I snug the thing up . But every few mags it works it's way loose . It's never caused an issue . Maybe that's because the first few times I checked and it was loose . Has made me concerned enough I check it often .

SOOOOOOOOO: Are these really issues worth me spending $100 to send back to SA ?

Or should I just upgrade the parts ??

I'm asking because I ran in to someone last week . Who told me he had no issues with his Prodigy . But sent it back anyway . He said they treated him to new parts , polished ramp , Trigger adjustment etc . He said he told them he just wanted it inspected . Nothing was wrong . But now it runs like a Swiss watch. It did shoot smooth .

So should I send mine in ? I haven't said anything in the forum . I've tried to be positive, and defend the platform . I believe I've put just over 2000 rounds thru it . Keep a light lube on it . I haven't had 1 FTF .

My Safety isn't loose . It's tight. So tight I sometimes have to use my left hand to engage it . My Trigger is like Butter . Very mushy for a 1911 . I've just gotten used to it .

If I am firing slow for distance hits . I could swear my slide feels like it hits a speed bump like in a parking lot . If I am firing fast I don't notice anything .

It's extremely accurate . I bought a plate for the 507 K because it was all I could originally find . Seems to work ok but seems high . Are the RMR plates any better ?

Last thing : Anyone have the guide rod come loose ? I carry the wrench in my pocket . I snug the thing up . But every few mags it works it's way loose . It's never caused an issue . Maybe that's because the first few times I checked and it was loose . Has made me concerned enough I check it often .

My opinion, if it ain’t broke…..don’t fix it, if you are satisfied with the way it performs, nah…. I wouldn’t waste money on it, if something does occur, it is warranted and Springfield will take care of it.

I've had no reason to send mine in. I know how to polish a feed ramp and adjust a trigger, not that I've felt it necessary to do either of those things on mine.

Do you have the 5" model?

My Trigger is like Butter . Very mushy for a 1911 . I've just gotten used to it .

Can you be a little more specific? Does it have a lot of creep before the break? Is the break not crisp?

Again, can you be a little more specific? Does it feel like it "hits a speed bump like in a parking lot" at the end of the slide cycle, or part way through? Have you tried a heavier recoil spring?

Don’t fix what ain’t broke.
Mine was bad out of the box… 2 weeks later came back perfect and I’m at/around 1400ish or so rounds since, zero issues.
Have not had the guide rod come loose even after 300 round range sessions.

I do want the 10-8 performance take down lever…and possibly the Atlas tool less guide rod, eventually…but I’m just enjoying shooting mine for now. Any of my friends/family that pick mine up are able to shoot it very well..it’s just easy like Sunday mornin.

I've had no reason to send mine in. I know how to polish a feed ramp and adjust a trigger, not that I've felt it necessary to do either of those things on mine.

Can you be a little more specific? Does it have a lot of creep before the break? Is the break not crisp?

Again, can you be a little more specific? Does it feel like it "hits a speed bump like in a parking lot" at the end of the slide cycle, or part way through? Have you tried a heavier recoil spring?
Just shooting bone stock . I would say the bump is about 1/2 way . Sorta hard to tell because I'm not watching the slide / I have held it out in front down where I can watch the slide . You can't pinpoint exactly where . I would say it's right after the opening . Plus it's minor . i can feel it , but it's not like a Holy crap.

Just shooting bone stock . I would say the bump is about 1/2 way . Sorta hard to tell because I'm not watching the slide / I have held it out in front down where I can watch the slide . You can't pinpoint exactly where . I would say it's right after the opening . Plus it's minor . i can feel it , but it's not like a Holy crap.
Ok, is it the slide moving over the disconnector, my RO Operator did this for awhile till it broke in, just a thought..the spring for the disconnector is real stiff

The break is long IMO for a 1911 trigger . It's not terrible . There's just more take up then my Bul Armory which can surprise you . The Prodigy feels like what I said Spongy . Like you pull thru the break rather then to it . If That makes sense . Again I have gotten used to it . My wife won't shoot the Bul armory because the Trigger is to touchy for her tastes . The Prodigy she says she can feel coming .

Ok, is it the slide moving over the disconnector, my RO Operator did this for awhile till it broke in, just a thought..the spring for the disconnector is real stiff
Yeah I've thought of that . I can likely mess with and fix all of this myself . I'f I were to send it back . It would primarily be because the safety is tight . I really have to push with effort to get the safety on . More often then not it's easier to flip it up with my left hand . This bugs me

Yeah I've thought of that . I can likely mess with and fix all of this myself . I'f I were to send it back . It would primarily be because the safety is tight . I really have to push with effort to get the safety on . More often then not it's easier to flip it up with my left hand . This bugs me
Two things…one regarding the trigger. I watched an Atlas video and after about 1/2 hour of bend, test, bend, test, I have a nice clean 3lb pull, good but not over active wall and clean break. It’s a little touchy…but, that comes down to proper technique, if you’re lazy, you may squeeze off a second round.. :)

Second, while I had mine apart the safeties came off. Where the safety hits the plunger I took a light file to that to smooth the factory finish and round it a bit more. My safety on/off is a nice clean “snick” now, from left or right side, MUCH better than fighting with it prior to cleaning it up.

You can clean up the safety and take care of the trigger in an hour or two if you’re careful, deliberate and don’t mind trying new things. Good luck!!

Two things…one regarding the trigger. I watched an Atlas video and after about 1/2 hour of bend, test, bend, test, I have a nice clean 3lb pull, good but not over active wall and clean break. It’s a little touchy…but, that comes down to proper technique, if you’re lazy, you may squeeze off a second round.. :)

Second, while I had mine apart the safeties came off. Where the safety hits the plunger I took a light file to that to smooth the factory finish and round it a bit more. My safety on/off is a nice clean “snick” now, from left or right side, MUCH better than fighting with it prior to cleaning it up.

You can clean up the safety and take care of the trigger in an hour or two if you’re careful, deliberate and don’t mind trying new things. Good luck!!
Interesting Thanks . Wish there was a trick to keep the RDS cleaner . But I think that's more 1911;s don't have enough room

Interesting Thanks . Wish there was a trick to keep the RDS cleaner . But I think that's more 1911;s don't have enough room
You can thank the loaded chamber indicator for that one… If you think the Prodigy is bad, you should shoot my new Smith and Wesson Competitor…it’s horrid. To the point I’m thinking of switching from a Holosun 407C to a Trijicon SRO due to the hood/shroud….

The break is long IMO for a 1911 trigger . It's not terrible . There's just more take up then my Bul Armory which can surprise you . The Prodigy feels like what I said Spongy . Like you pull thru the break rather then to it . If That makes sense . Again I have gotten used to it . My wife won't shoot the Bul armory because the Trigger is to touchy for her tastes . The Prodigy she says she can feel coming .
Interesting. Yeah, it sounds like it could be tightened up. Mine has broken in nicely, and is not spongy at all. It's not on par with my Dan Wessons, but still pretty darn good.

I'f I were to send it back . It would primarily be because the safety is tight . I really have to push with effort to get the safety on . More often then not it's easier to flip it up with my left hand . This bugs me
That's odd. Mine is not like that.

Seems like a 'spa treatment' at Springfield is in order. They should be able to adjust the safety and clean up the trigger easily for you.

Here is my opinion.
Usually when a manufacturer releases a product that they have never done before, there are kinks to work out. Same way with the SigP365, those of you that owned the first addition know what I am talking about. As time proceeds and Springfield moves forward with this double stack 1911, improvements will come. And if you are not having any issues, keep it. You got exactly what you paid for.

If every single Prodigy owner sent them back in, Springfield would most likely stop tunning them up and only fix what is wrong. Or perhaps in your case simply send the gun back to you after they inspect it. Plus imagine the backlog it would create, the turnaround time would increase immensely.

It's kind of like someone getting extra French fries with their order, then everyone else in line expecting the same.

I would do the right thing and buy my own parts. my .02 cents.

Now on my Colt Classic 1911, the thumb safety was a bitch to put on, but after some time it also loosened up, don’t ask me how hard it is to put the slide lock lever back in after reassembly…..lol

Last edited:
I just sent mine back it was an early ser #1400. I figured there is no reason for me to become an instant gunsmith. SA customer service is awesome. Can’t wait to get it back. Mine was one of those jamming machines. So I suggest unless you know the exact fault and can perform the duties required I would send it to the manufacturer.
I’m not knocking anyone it’s just we paid a lot of money for a product that has a problem. I’d buy a 4.5” to carry if the ftf and ftr are fixed.
Just trying to help. I’ll post after mine comes back and a few hundred rounds!!

Attachments

• 25C3C188-C2C0-4E68-B6A2-CFCC664E3B89.jpeg
    25C3C188-C2C0-4E68-B6A2-CFCC664E3B89.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 53

They’ll send you a RMA and you package it up and bring it to a FedX. I just did that.

Back