testtest

Who lets their wife and the mother of their kids be an Uber driver ?

Aside from safety, it amazes me that people will use their vehicle to transport people or food. Gas is about $1 per gallon more than a year ago and used car prices are off the charts. Do these people actually make enough money to cover depreciation, maintenance, repairs, insurance, and time besides a bit of money for their efforts? Have you noticed anyone driving pizzas with a vehicle you can't afford yourself? I have and wonder, who's the smart one, them or me.

Last edited:
Especially near one of the major, engineered, urban utopias created by those who shall remain nameless so this thread isn't zapped?

It’s only a technicality Bob, but she wasn’t married - article quotes her fiance… However, I see what u mean about deep concerns over a loved one doing this kind of gig. It’s fraught with risk, dash cam or not.

Especially near one of the major, engineered, urban utopias created by those who shall remain nameless so this thread isn't zapped?

taxi cab drivers are just as at risk. i cannot recall when, but decades ago, thick plexiglass? was installed in cabs to prevent harm to the drivers.

for one, using one's personal vehicle for "cab service" has to be an "iffy" thing to do, in case of accident.

i did not read the article when i first saw it days ago, it sickened me just reading the headlines.

i saw a pic of the thug.........

only i cannot repeat, what or who i thought he was

The main issue is not that someone would let "their wife and the mother of their kids be an Uber driver" the main issue is that anyone should be free to do any job that they are interested in pursuing "SAFELY". Unfortunately that will never be a reality as their are just too many crazies that are allowed to roam amongst us. FWIW my son did the Uber thing until Covid put a stop to it. In our area there are very few Uber drivers so it was quite lucrative but when you had ask him about the the riders it was "well most of them are real nice appreciative riders, some are real assholes, and some are just WOW". He had one guy that he picked up that was a musician in town playing a gig and lived about 1 hour away. After arriving at the hotel the guy asked if my son would do an Uber to his house to pick something up for him from his live-in girlfriend. Big money, so he told him as long as its not illegal and the guy explained its a very valuable Les Paul guitar. So he agreed and the guy tells him to call him on his cell as soon as he has the guitar and is a couple miles away from the house. He told him that as soon as his guitar is safe he is going to call his girlfriend and break up with her and that she is a real psycho and he wants to make sure that she can't destroy his Les Paul when he does. Got a good laugh out of that one. Oh yeah should add, the Les Paul is safe and sound in Eastern Nebraska lol.

The main issue is not that someone would let "their wife and the mother of their kids be an Uber driver" the main issue is that anyone should be free to do any job that they are interested in pursuing "SAFELY". Unfortunately that will never be a reality as their are just too many crazies that are allowed to roam amongst us. FWIW my son did the Uber thing until Covid put a stop to it. In our area there are very few Uber drivers so it was quite lucrative but when you had ask him about the the riders it was "well most of them are real nice appreciative riders, some are real assholes, and some are just WOW". He had one guy that he picked up that was a musician in town playing a gig and lived about 1 hour away. After arriving at the hotel the guy asked if my son would do an Uber to his house to pick something up for him from his live-in girlfriend. Big money, so he told him as long as its not illegal and the guy explained its a very valuable Les Paul guitar. So he agreed and the guy tells him to call him on his cell as soon as he has the guitar and is a couple miles away from the house. He told him that as soon as his guitar is safe he is going to call his girlfriend and break up with her and that she is a real psycho and he wants to make sure that she can't destroy his Les Paul when he does. Got a good laugh out of that one. Oh yeah should add, the Les Paul is safe and sound in Eastern Nebraska lol.

Yeah, but that can't really be the main issue because just like the fact that a woman should be able to dress provocatively and go by herself into a bar full of drunk men without being molested, as you said, that just isn't reality and will almost certainly never be reality.

Aside from safety, it amazes me that people will use their vehicle to transport people or food. Gas is about $1 per gallon more than a year ago and used car prices are off the charts. Do these people actually make enough money to cover depreciation, maintenance, repairs, insurance, and time besides a bit of money for their efforts? Have you noticed anyone driving pizzas with a vehicle you can't afford yourself? I have and wonder, who's the smart one, them or me.
IMO, I have witnessed many past "petroleum dispense agents" quit a good paying job to drive for Uber only to realize that it's nowhere near the job they thought it would be. In addition to youngolddude's comments above most drivers carry the minimum insurance required by Uber ( private commercial ins.) This driver had a very serious accident injuring the passengers. Their attorney says near impossible they will receive anything.

Those members here who have spent a career in law enforcement will tell you that these folks probably walk past many of us on a daily basis when we're out and about.
For sure. And in some cases ( like mine) you can spend a great deal of your day surrounded by them. No one is perfectly safe and it was never my intention to suggest that. I spent the last decade working all over on the streets of north St. Louis. I have had to dive for cover more times than I can count and I have been literally shot at 3 or 4 times in the last couple of years. I work in the city, but I live in a rural county about 40 miles south. Is my wife, who spends the vast majority of her time in the area I live in, perfectly safe? Hell no, there are morons, meth heads and killers out here too. She is however about 1000 times less likely to encounter that crap on a daily basis than I am.

My mom likes to say that when it's her time god will take her. While that's a nice way to avoid worrying, it is however complete crap. YOU are responsible for your own safety and that of your family. You don't play in traffic, swim while drunk or Play Russian roulette. Why ? Because it is very risky. So is picking up people you don't know in a car that is not equipped at all to protect you, unarmed in a city that has a really high violent crime rate. It's just like playing Russian roulette only with very slightly better odds.

For sure. And in some cases ( like mine) you can spend a great deal of your day surrounded by them. No one is perfectly safe and it was never my intention to suggest that. I spent the last decade working all over on the streets of north St. Louis. I have had to dive for cover more times than I can count and I have been literally shot at 3 or 4 times in the last couple of years. I work in the city, but I live in a rural county about 40 miles south. Is my wife, who spends the vast majority of her time in the area I live in, perfectly safe? Hell no, there are morons, meth heads and killers out here too. She is however about 1000 times less likely to encounter that crap on a daily basis than I am.

My mom likes to say that when it's her time god will take her. While that's a nice way to avoid worrying, it is however complete crap. YOU are responsible for your own safety and that of your family. You don't play in traffic, swim while drunk or Play Russian roulette. Why ? Because it is very risky. So is picking up people you don't know in a car that is not equipped at all to protect you, unarmed in a city that has a really high violent crime rate. It's just like playing Russian roulette only with very slightly better odds.
YEAH....WELL PUT, YOUR MORE ELEAQUINT THAN I
WHAT BASSBOB SAID !!!

I'm only commenting on the ride-sharing business and not this particular incident.

I had a male family member who was an Uber driver for a few months. We were all worried for their safety right up until they stopped. We discussed the pros and cons of this type of work, but it was intimately their decision. They were armed at all times and selected upscale pickup and drop-off locations as well as "5-Star" clients. Note. Drivers can choose who they want to service and the area where they would like to operate.

Drivers and customers are each rated on their service/behavior after each ride, so each party has the ability to select a level of comfort before the transaction.

Just what did the stupid puttz think trying to transfer money from her account to his girlfriends? That it would be untraceable, damn if it wasn't for oxygen thieves like that cops may have to put effort into solving the case. Dude just put a bow-tie on it for law enforcement.

* Just to be clear most of my family is LEO and I'm not slighting any of them at all.

** I'm sure there are those in society who think this guy needs a cashless bail🤬
I'm not one of them, but I do have a good rope...
This is why we have a death penalty.

Those members here who have spent a career in law enforcement will tell you that these folks probably walk past many of us on a daily basis when we're out and about.
I met three of them a few weeks back and although I was always careful I have become so much more since that day.
And yes careful to the point my stomach hurts every time I go out, no bullets flew that day but I do feel I’ve been gut punched.

Back