testtest

Who reloads either pistol or rifle

FMJ or not so much

• Total voters
When reloading what is your purpose/goal? I made a list of all rifle fmj bullets by caliber, because I love these things! The 1st and only deer I shot I used a fmj. It's the largest animal I've shot besides a pig that weighed more with FMJs. The 27cal is the only cal I can't find a fmj for. At 1 time there were the 115gr from the 6.8spc was offered under Remington/Speer, but have yet too obtain them. Norma offers a 130gr, but not in the US.

22cal, 55, 62 (lap also) and 75gr
24cal, 90gr
26cal, 100, 120, 123, 139 and 144gr
27cal, none
30cal, 110, 123, 125, 150, 170 and
33cal, 250 and 300gr
44cal, 250gr

When reloading what is your purpose/goal?

I want the best performance possible out of the weapon and projectile.

It sounds like you have great confidence in fmj projectiles, but there are far superior bullets for hunting. Don't limit yourself by using fmj bullets.

I reload 9mm and .38 mostly for more economical practice. I have dies for other calibers, but rarely use them. I use whatever bullets I can get relatively cheap. My dad casts bullets, and sometimes supplies me. I used to play with his homemade lead ingots as a kid! Somehow, I didn't get lead poisoning.

I just obtained a Dillon 550, so I am a newbie to this. Starting to gather up what I need, building a bench, etc. I am very excited to get started. This message is to inform you people that have the knowledge that I will probably be calling on you for guidance. I appreciate your willingness to help. I will be starting off with 9mm and if things go according to plan, 10 mm at a later date. Can’t wait!

I just obtained a Dillon 550, so I am a newbie to this. Starting to gather up what I need, building a bench, etc. I am very excited to get started. This message is to inform you people that have the knowledge that I will probably be calling on you for guidance. I appreciate your willingness to help. I will be starting off with 9mm and if things go according to plan, 10 mm at a later date. Can’t wait!
Be glad too help!

40 and 10 are easier than 9 to reload.
I don't know why but that was my experience. 45 is too. 9 is not as cost effective for fmj. Again, my experience. Most of my reloads are HP.

You don't find much if any fmj rifle ammo other than what the military uses. Apparently I use a lot! At today's prices even pistol range ammo can be costly. Just didn't know if anyone here reloads for rifle with fmj? I'm on the crazt train with it I guess!

As Snake45 said earlier, FMJ are often illegal for hunting in many areas/states. In some of those where they are illegal, it is applicable to game animals only ..... but are legal for some/most non-native/invasive species.

Know your area as applies to types of ammo allowed and number of rounds in the gun for various types of hunting.

And just as an aside, I've not seen many, if any, FMJ's being advertised as 'Hunting' ammunition. And in support of that assertion, be aware that in some articles/conventions of war, maybe Geneva Conventions, FMJ's are designated for military use for reason. That's why you don't often hear of any military using HP's.

As Snake45 said earlier, FMJ are often illegal for hunting in many areas/states. In some of those where they are illegal, it is applicable to game animals only ..... but are legal for some/most non-native/invasive species.

Know your area as applies to types of ammo allowed and number of rounds in the gun for various types of hunting.

And just as an aside, I've not seen many, if any, FMJ's being advertised as 'Hunting' ammunition. And in support of that assertion, be aware that in some articles/conventions of war, maybe Geneva Conventions, FMJ's are designated for military use for reason. That's why you don't often hear of any military using HP's.
The hp use is for special purpose like for Bin Laden (black hills 77gr).

I load FMJ in practice and banger rounds. All my hunting or other purpose-built rounds are something else. Often a good ballistic tip or HP monolith, occasionally a leadcore for hunting rounds, Matchkings for anything target related, and hardcast or Lehigh bullets for wilderness defense.

Attachments

• E6362081-D519-4B92-9906-BDD2D9C10ECC.jpeg
    E6362081-D519-4B92-9906-BDD2D9C10ECC.jpeg
    904.3 KB · Views: 151
Back