testtest

Who sets the standard ?

KillerFord1977

SAINT
Founding Member
Who in your life sets the standard and/or raises the bar?

Was it a family member ?
Co worker?
Friend ?

With whom in your life do you think was always a person who set the standard ? And why ?

For me.. my father .
Kind. Gentle. Intelligent. Hard ass when needed(my college years😉)
Excellent marksman. skilled hunter. Skilled with DYI projects. Outstanding in finances = retired at 45. (First time)
Married 62 yrs to my mother and great husband.
Loving dad to our family and adores his grandchildren.
Gentle giant but will call you out for failure, and then teach you why and how to learn from failure.

Why I bring this up… ?
He showed me a few new cooking tricks and schooled my butt at the range being 30yrs my senior with a 1911 and m1 Garand.
Still has it.
Humble. Kind. Leader. Teacher. Loving. Realist.
And a hell of a shot for 83
He sets my bar high

72573EF1-5C2D-46FB-9D9D-AF2450A1C662.jpeg

Same person who taught me to shoot like a BAMF. Me.

I had a great life growing up, but I’ve always marched to my own drummer and had a great sense of self. No one has ever driven me harder than myself and that is still the case today. Lots of great influences in my life, but I have always had an innate sense for putting myself in the right place at the right time.

Last edited:
My dad was twice the man I am, always said that. He took me hunting with him first time when I was 6 months old, last time when he was 89 and died of cancer less than a month after we returned.

He worked two jobs as long as I can remember, until he retired. But, he had time to help my uncle with my boy scouts and scout trips, be my baseball manager, and shoot bow with me practically every day. He started me in archery at about 3 years old and it was our life long passion.

With all this he cooked dinner on mom's work nights and I never saw mother wash a dish in her life.

He was a a head shorter thsn me and much smaller, but he was the only man I was ever afraid to take a swing at. Did it once when I was about 12 and woke up a while later wondering where I went wrong.

Man knew mechanics, he could fix anything. We worked on cars together for years.

And he put up with mother for better than 50 years, the man was a Saint.

Life, hunting, things are now different without his companionship. Don, my best friend was supposed to help fill his huge void after passing but he is gone now too, life just is not as interesting these days.

Last edited:
My Dad. He always instilled in us a tough work ethic also standing up for yourself and defending others who can't. Only seen him cry a few times, funerals, births and us kids on our wedding days. Survived three heart attacks and both knee replacements. Still rides his Harley and he's 82. One thing I never forgot was on my wedding day he told me his door is always open no matter what anytime day or night for whatever we need or want. He always said he wanted his kids to have an easier life than he had growing up. One tough man just wish I paid attention more when he used to fix cars and other numerous things... Just my two cents

It was my dad up until a point. Then he changed (heavy drinker). I then found someone to look up to in my brother until he changed. I learned early to be careful of putting people on a pedestal (never meet your idol type thing).
Sounds corny in today's age and in some circles I'd be ridiculed for this, but I try to live up to the expectations set by Jesus. It's a tall order that I fall short of but as a Christian that I accept that. I'm not a bible thumping type of guy who wears his faith on his sleeve, but He is the only one I can truly look toward as the standard.

Some of my best memories are of sitting around a camp fire with dad in either boy scouts polar bear or hunting camp, or the wood stove at the cabin with the propane lights white light bathing our faces around the table playing rummy. Looking up from cleaning a deer and him standing there watching proudly.

He taught me to enjoy the simplest of pleasures like staying out hunting the entire day. Eating lunch off the tailgate of the truck with a loaf of bread a couple tins of corned beef and a bottle of mustard while coffee brews over a small fire.

The only thing he could not do was sharpen a knife worth a darn. I remember him giving me his knives to sharpen way back when I was like 10 or 11 lol.

Yep, sure do miss that man.

Last edited:
I try to live up to the expectations set by Jesus. It's a tall order that I fall short of but as a Christian that I accept that. I'm not a bible thumping type of guy who wears his faith on his sleeve, but He is the only one I can truly look toward as the standard.
Hallelujah! Your post closely reads as mine would have if I hadn't been called away this morning. Yes, oftentimes you, I, and fellow travelers are ridiculed, scoffed, rebuked. These days, it bothers me none. I, as you, preach to no one. On the obverse, I will never back down, or take shameful posture for my faith, as we stand strong on the Word. I appreciate you, and your post, more than you know.

Hallelujah! Your post closely reads as mine would have if I hadn't been called away this morning. Yes, oftentimes you, I, and fellow travelers are ridiculed, scoffed, rebuked. These days, it bothers me none. I, as you, preach to no one. On the obverse, I will never back down, or take shameful posture for my faith, as we stand strong on the Word. I appreciate you, and your post, more than you know.
your words are very kind, thank you. it has taken me a long time to come this way of feeling.

Back