testtest

Why a Revolver is Still Worth Considering for Home Defense

"Again, the tiniest possible gun is not the goal here because it is not meant for concealed carry."

Agreed. Revolvers are seriously out of date as a concealed carry weapon.

While I own more than one revolver their purpose with me is hunting, not self defense. The .38 is not enough and the .357 magnum is too much for a house gun in most circumstances. A .44 special would be fine in most circumstances but usually with Glasers or frangible ammo. Penetration is a serious concern when walls between apartments or single family homes are so thin.

. . . I use the 45lc Judge for home defense. Have been wanting a pistol and impressed with the 10mm that Bridget with her. The 10mm Range Officer Elite Operator
0 Heading For The Yellowstone ..  by John Peterson..jpg

"Again, the tiniest possible gun is not the goal here because it is not meant for concealed carry."

Agreed. Revolvers are seriously out of date as a concealed carry weapon.

While I own more than one revolver their purpose with me is hunting, not self defense. The .38 is not enough and the .357 magnum is too much for a house gun in most circumstances. A .44 special would be fine in most circumstances but usually with Glasers or frangible ammo. Penetration is a serious concern when walls between apartments or single family homes are so thin.

.38 is still more than enough for self defense, and .357 is even better.

A revolver is often a lot more comfortable to carry concealed, and easier to conceal, due to the fact that it is rounded, not angular.

In addition, the only drawback to .357 in the home defense role is noise; it has a very sharp and loud report, and if you don’t have some type of hearing protection...the result is going to be permanent damage.

I like .44 special, as well...but frangibles are probably one of the worst choice one can make; gimmick loads, at best. My close-at-hand, 3” 629 is loaded with 200gr SWC HP's...the FBI load on steroids.

I don’t worry about rounds over penetrating an assailant's body in the case of defense in the house; and for the possibility of misses, I’ve figured angles of fire prior, and placed backstops (bookshelves work great) at likely avenues of fire.

No, I feel well served by an 8-shot .357 by the bed...and I did a lot of researching as to why it works best for me before deciding on it.

.38 is still more than enough for self defense, and .357 is even better.

A revolver is often a lot more comfortable to carry concealed, and easier to conceal, due to the fact that it is rounded, not angular.

In addition, the only drawback to .357 in the home defense role is noise; it has a very sharp and loud report, and if you don’t have some type of hearing protection...the result is going to be permanent damage.

I like .44 special, as well...but frangibles are probably one of the worst choice one can make; gimmick loads, at best. My close-at-hand, 3” 629 is loaded with 200gr SWC HP's...the FBI load on steroids.

I don’t worry about rounds over penetrating an assailant's body in the case of defense in the house; and for the possibility of misses, I’ve figured angles of fire prior, and placed backstops (bookshelves work great) at likely avenues of fire.

No, I feel well served by an 8-shot .357 by the bed...and I did a lot of researching as to why it works best for me before deciding on it.

The point, to me at least, to forums is to read and consider and hopefully learn from other opinions. I do agree about the "gimmick rounds" being gimmicks and less effective than proper bullets. I would also offer that each person's situation is different. People who live on acreage have different needs and lesser danger regarding over penetration than someone living in a doublewide in a mobile home park where homes are 10 feet apart. People living in single family homes today often have the same problem. In even upscale housing (recently built) the interior drywall is thin and the plastic siding that most of them sport is not much of a barrier.

Someone who is legally shooting at someone inside their home becomes a criminal if one of the rounds they fire either over penetrates or misses and penetrates their walls and strikes someone outside or in the next dwelling. Even law enforcement today has those concerns. That is why so many departments have switched to number 4 buckshot over 00 buckshot and why hollow points make even more sense beyond stopping power.

Regarding your strategies, I commend you, but also remind you, "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." (Mike Tyson) Having been part of a federal law enforcement agency and engaged in too many serious social situations, that is something I know only too well. When guns are going off, everything changes. Most discharges in these situations are misses on both sides. I also know that 38 specials are not very good immediate stoppers having seen a number of shooting where they did not stop the action. At the time I was on the job, all but a very few FBI agents were required to carry issued 3" 38 specials. Many other federal, state, and local agencies were the same. A few state agencies allowed .357s for their patrol officers, but very few. The after action reports were rife with failure to stop incidents. A few of us were given permission to carry some version of a 1911 provided we qualified with it, which is what I carried as soon as I received my field assignment.

So, I cannot agree with your assessment of the 38 special as a chosen primary self defense round. I also cannot agree that any revolver other than the tiny North American Arms is more concealable or more comfortable than many of the current semi automatics. I can carry the new Hellcat outside my pants on my belt under a t shirt without printing. I can come close with my S&W Model 60 but now we are talking more weight and only 5 rounds. Why would someone make that choice other than just a love of revolvers?

The way I look at this is, what makes you happy and secure, be it semi-auto or revolver, as Adam said in his post I agree. I carried a revolver for years, never regretted it ever, felt very secure with it, but it’s a personal preference on what you carry, either a revolver or semi-auto, any gun is better then no gun when it’s needed.

For home invasion scenarios it’s a high cap auto loader for my house. The reason is simple, that is most likely what the bad guys are going to be carrying and there’s no good reason to go into the ordeal under gunned.

Back