testtest

Why are revolvers still used?

Personally I have 2 revolvers I love them both one reason being ive never had a malfunction of any kind. I also believe that a 38 special is a great choice for newer gun owners. The other reason for revolvers is its a lot harder to get the larger rounds like s&w 500 into a semi-auto
Revolvers can fail. Still love them, but beware it can happen and happened to my beloved early 70s square butt S&W Chief's Special Model 36. We were at the range and suddenly the cylinder froze and would not loosen. Sent it back to S&W and they fixed it. Still have it and use it.

Revolvers can fail. Still love them, but beware it can happen and happened to my beloved early 70s square butt S&W Chief's Special Model 36. We were at the range and suddenly the cylinder froze and would not loosen. Sent it back to S&W and they fixed it. Still have it and use it.
Yes I'm aware of malfunctions however they are far less frequent and when they do happen they are usually very bad. All I'm saying is they are less prone to jam

Yes I'm aware of malfunctions however they are far less frequent and when they do happen they are usually very bad. All I'm saying is they are less prone to jam
Yeah, there’s really only two “common” (although, really fairly rare) ammo causes for a revolver “jam”—high primers, and poorly crimped bullets jumping forward...both of which are most common in reloads, not commercial ammunition.

The high primer issue is easy to check for; first visually inspect it, and run your finger over it...you’ll feel it. The other way is to put the rounds in the cylinder, and then bring back the hammer to the point where the cylinder freely rotates—if it spins freely, you’re good to go...if it bins, you know you’ve got a problem...and can fix it immediately.

Crimp jump can only be checked by running a few rounds first...and also being aware it mainly happens with light for caliber bullets in lightweight, heavy recoiling revolvers (this is the reason S&W says not to run .357 Magnum loads with lighter than 125gr bullets in their Airweight PD’s).

Yeah, there’s really only two “common” (although, really fairly rare) ammo causes for a revolver “jam”—high primers, and poorly crimped bullets jumping forward...both of which are most common in reloads, not commercial ammunition.

The high primer issue is easy to check for; first visually inspect it, and run your finger over it...you’ll feel it. The other way is to put the rounds in the cylinder, and then bring back the hammer to the point where the cylinder freely rotates—if it spins freely, you’re good to go...if it bins, you know you’ve got a problem...and can fix it immediately.

Crimp jump can only be checked by running a few rounds first...and also being aware it mainly happens with light for caliber bullets in lightweight, heavy recoiling revolvers (this is the reason S&W says not to run .357 Magnum loads with lighter than 125gr bullets in their Airweight PD’s).
You reminded me of my first experience reloading hot .44 special loads. I failed to adequately crimp them and experienced "bullet creep" which created that issue. Could only load 2 or 3 rounds at a time to use those up.

We keep our revolvers for the same reason most of us stick with our wives. For the most part dependable, you think you understand them and find they are cheaper to maintain than going out and getting a "new" model.
Unfortunately, I never learned that lesson. I am gun whore!

Back