testtest

Why Mils Are Superior to MOA For Long Range Precision

It's easier math, (and easier for a new shooter to grasp) but when you've been shooting MOA your entire life, that is a skill set in itself. Either way you scope it, when reading the wind at 1000, you had better have alot of practice at that. A missed call on windspeed is a miss at the target, no matter what adjustments you have on the scope. I'm sure there are the shooters that crutch it and put Kestrels up at the targets to bluetooth the dope to a phone. That's not a skill. I did a great wind read on a 1200 yard target one day, and out of nowhere, here comes a dust devil at 800 yards. Broke the shot, rolled onto the spotting scope, and just said "S&$t". That 190 Gr bullet went off by 5 feet. (Maybe 2 meters. Whatever).o_O

Regards,
Bill

And if I read the article correctly does making this change require a different scope? If I’m wrong I stand corrected.
European scopes are generally in metric adjustments. Swarovski Z8i comes to mind. Remember, if you are shooting a metric adjustable scope at yards, it can get confusing. Metric adjustments on scopes translate to adjustments in range in meters, not yards. MOA is familiar to most of us because we shoot at yards, not meters. One click on a metric adjust scope translates to 10mm at 100 meters. It would be about .36" at 100 yards with the same scope. Conversely, you would have to re-dope shooting an MOA scope at metric distances. Your best bet is to have a range finder that can give distances in yards or meters. The military has been using metric for years now.

Regards,
Bill

European scopes are generally in metric adjustments. Swarovski Z8i comes to mind. Remember, if you are shooting a metric adjustable scope at yards, it can get confusing. Metric adjustments on scopes translate to adjustments in range in meters, not yards. MOA is familiar to most of us because we shoot at yards, not meters. One click on a metric adjust scope translates to 10mm at 100 meters. It would be about .36" at 100 yards with the same scope. Conversely, you would have to re-dope shooting an MOA scope at metric distances. Your best bet is to have a range finder that can give distances in yards or meters. The military has been using metric for years now.

Regards,
Bill
The scope I have is a Sig Sauer Sierra3BDX I have the range finder and app on my phone, I’m guessing I can set it up for MIL or MOA I’ll check.

The scope I have is a Sig Sauer Sierra3BDX I have the range finder and app on my phone, I’m guessing I can set it up for MIL or MOA I’ll check.
I looked up your scope. Your "click adjustments" are in MOA, i.e. one click is .25" adjustment at 100 yards. Standard USA stuff. As I sated, it's not much to get fluffed up about, unless you feel you HAVE to shoot in meters as opposed to yards. When I qualified in the military lo those many years ago, it was meters and iron sights. Never saw optics on an M-16. I'll leave the metric stuff to the younger crowd.

Regards,
Bill

Both are simply systems of measurement. The metric system was invented by the French, so you know something is off there.

300px-Italys.jpg
unnamed.jpg

The Brits/Commonwealth kept the Queen, and the USA kept the measurement system.

surrender-at-yorktown-gettyimages-482796653.jpg

Mils are no more accurate than MOAs, it all depends on what you want to use.

If someone wants to use mils then that's fine.

hyperspace_meme.jpg

I have one Mil scope & it always screws me up when sighting in so it's on a second-tier rifle.

I'll stick with MOAs.

Last edited:
Back