testtest

Why Reload?

SMSgtRod

Professional
Founding Member
I reload because it saves me some bucks to buy other important things like guns!
Maybe an even more important reason is protection. Remember the Obama ammo
shortage era? It was like needing some 9mm and walking in to Walmart now. There
ain't none. Back then every store you went to was out or rationing it.
Reloaders were at home rolling their own.

Let's take a look at what has become the most popular cartridge..... 9mm.....
What does it take to rebuild one after it's been fired and you have the equipment
set up. This will be general costs and measures. Price will vary some due to different
types of components.

You saved the brass so that's one expense cut out. Mind you now that most ranges
will require you to mark your brass if you want to keep it. Spent brass is where they
make some money. I put mine in a 100 round case, bullet down and drag a Sharpie
across the base. I get to keep the brass, they keep the bullets.

Ok, 9mm. Got the brass all cleaned up we'll put in a primer. You'll get a 1000 of them
for $30. Makes it 3¢ each round. Next you need some powder. Another $30 for a
pound of powder that is 7000 grains in the measurement system we use. 9mm is
going to take about 3 grains per round. That pound of powder you bought will load
2000+ rounds. 9mm uses just a pinch of powder as my wife says. Powder cost is
maybe 0.015¢. Lastly we need to stuff a bullet on top to keep the powder from falling out.
1000 jacketed hollow points cost $100. Bullets are a dime per round.
Total cost around 15¢ a round and you can buy them for 17¢ to 20¢. Not a great savings.
Your wage is maybe 25¢ an hour.

But you can try a lot of different loads that you can't buy. A lot of manuals have
accuracy loads that you can work up.
If you are shooting for competition you can weigh each bullet, powder charge and
size the cases. Make each cartridge is exactly the same so they always shoot the same.

Lastly. Should there come another ammo shortage while your neighbor is frantically
going from store to store, you are at the reloading bench filling up your ammo cans.

Did you know that the 9mm round is considered a high pressure round. It's rated at
twice the pressure of a 38 Special and only a little bit shy of a 357 Magnum.

Reloading is safe as long as you pay attention to what your doing. I find it relaxing
doing the piece work.

Guys, you find anything wrong in my comment let me know and I'll edit.

Saving money seems to be the big draw for many people, but it's not the only reason. I load to match my rounds to a given gun, be it a .223 with a 1:8 twist, or a 9mm with a 1:16 using a 5 inch barrel with a comp on the end.

When you find that perfect recipe, it just works.
12482942_10153837314894932_453492571_o.jpg

Saving money seems to be the big draw for many people, but it's not the only reason. I load to match my rounds to a given gun, be it a .223 with a 1:8 twist, or a 9mm with a 1:16 using a 5 inch barrel with a comp on the end.

View attachment 584
Weighing each bullet, case length, exact same powder each time. That's where it's at. 👍

Weighing each bullet, case length, exact same powder each time. That's where it's at. 👍

Without accurate control, the bullets will never be accurate. The longer the range, the closer you need to watch. Heck, even the tail of the bullet changes the internal ballistics, which can cause all sorts of problems for the external ballistics.

View attachment 584
I have noticed that more aftermarket in 9mm are having a 1/10 and reason giving was more accurate. Having both barrels of equal length and using the same ammo I haven't seen enough change. This is using the same handgun also. I load 90 to 124gr both standard and +p for them. None of my testing has been from a rest, all have been standing. and about 50'. 1/8 is good for 55 to 77gr. Most of the handbook loads are good, just finding the right powder and brand of bullets for it.

Ballistics is a science unto it's self. I have had a dickens of a time with poly in auto ammo. All the time shave even with an over sized belling of the case mouth. Went to jacketed fixed the problem. Sometimes the bullet can really fly crazy when shaved. Keyhole.

The twist rate has a huge influence on external ballistics. Getting too much muzzle velocity on a fast spinning barrel will destroy the accuracy. Most twist rates are a happy medium and work OK with the happy medium the ammo manufacturers send out. But OK isn't what everyone wants. This was some 10mm ammo I tested with a Springfield TRP 1911 at 25 yards from a vise.
doubletap 155 with chart small.png

Ballistics is a science unto it's self.
I've taken advanced ballistics, and it's crazy what all goes into designing ammunition. Anyone can make a run of the mill load, put 5gr of accurate #5 and a 115gr bullet and you have a nice 9mm load. But designing something for a competition gun, or a long range rifle round is insane.

I've taken advanced ballistics, and it's crazy what all goes into designing ammunition. Anyone can make a run of the mill load, put 5gr of accurate #5 and a 115gr bullet and you have a nice 9mm load. But designing something for a competition gun, or a long range rifle round is insane.
They make simplicity complex. Whether it's my pistols, ARs, lever or bolt guns I have loaded fmj, target and b-tips and mostly comes down to gun manufactures. Your right factory ammo is average for the average shooter. Whether it's DT, Buffalo or the other higher velocity manufactures they make it about speed and let accuracy on you.

Never taken any formal ballistics but do putter and at that it's easy to see differences. Weigh bullets to find same weight, trim cases to same length, then have ten sets of ten varying by a 1/10gr. Can see the diff in how they fly. Some day may have a chronograph to do further investigation. Barrel length has a lot to do with it. That's why there are pistols and rifles....

Sometimes you just need to get the barrel coated with some brass. Helps stabilize the bullet as it travels down the barrel. I've had a lot of people look at my like my head just fell off when I tell them that. Yep, the ballistics can be all messed us by the tinest of things.

I don't care for the Glock barrel, I prefer lands and grooves. I shoot better with the conversion barrels than the stock 40 S&W. I believe that is true.... film of copper is the trick....

Back