testtest

Why Springfield Armory Discontinued the XD-E

BET7

Ronin
Founding Member
Chris Baker from Lucky Gunner, explains his theory on why the XD-e was discontinued (video/article). I have the XD-e 3.3" in .45 (along with their XDs and XD Mod.2, both 3.3" in .45). It's a shame it's discontinued, as I like mine.

I considered one for a while…but it just wasn’t that much smaller in .45 than my USP Compact .45, or my P30SK on 9mm…and the HK’s both had better capacity.

Reintroduce it as a 9mm that takes Hellcat mags? Call it the…Hellstorm? They would have something.
Excellent suggestion, Hans!

I also considered one, but it seemed just a tad too big for CC given the capacity. If and until Springfield would reintroduce it, what would you suggest for a hammer-fired compact CC preferably in 9mm?

Excellent suggestion, Hans!

I also considered one, but it seemed just a tad too big for CC given the capacity. If and until Springfield would reintroduce it, what would you suggest for a hammer-fired compact CC preferably in 9mm?
You know…the S&W CSX comes really close to pulling it off, but is SAO instead of DA/SA.

But…

Make a DA/SA version of the RDP? I’d look at it.

Ok, reading comprehension is important, and I’ve had a few liquid lunch desserts…bear with me…

Currently available options (you may have to go used:)
Look for a Sig 224, HK P30SK or P2000SK, CZ RAMI…

Last edited:
Brother used to have a Rami, nice shooting pistol but a little bulky for me
Yeah, and heavy. I use to carry it in a Crossbreed Freedom holster (one belt clip), and I eventually didn't feel comfortable carrying it in that rig. I now carry the Hellcat in a Crossbreed Reckoning holster (slimmer with two clips), and it's much lighter and a comfortable EDC.

You know…the S&W CSX comes really close to pulling it off, but is SAO instead of DA/SA.

But…

Make a DA/SA version of the RDP? I’d look at it.

Ok, reading comprehension is important, and I’ve had a few liquid lunch desserts…bear with me…

Currently available options (you may have to go used:)
Look for a Sig 224, HK P30SK or P2000SK, CZ RAMI…
Looks like both HKs are still available. Definitely worth a look.
BTW, Are you familiar with the difference between their LEM trigger vs the conventional DA/SA version? Pros/cons?

It was a mistake to link it to XD’s.

That’s why, when HK brought out their first new striker design in 30+ years, they didn’t call it a “P30S(türmer)”, they called it a VP9…even though it shared several common features of the P30’s.
Well they did link it to the original VP'er, I so disliked the original. That trigger was ridiculous.

I think with the HKs ( hammered) it's kind of a given that you need to have the trigger done. The VP9 is very good right out of the box, other than the "Night sights". Swap those out for some tritium.

Looks like both HKs are still available. Definitely worth a look.
BTW, Are you familiar with the difference between their LEM trigger vs the conventional DA/SA version? Pros/cons?
LEM is a very light DAO trigger with an optional, shorter reset, and the option to let the trigger go all the way forward for a restrike capability.

So, it’s got a long, light initial stroke, which can be repeated for every shot (think revolver), or the reset can be ridden for a shorter follow up.

It’s a nice trigger—REALLY nice if you can upgrade it to LEM Match.

Chris Baker from Lucky Gunner, explains his theory on why the XD-e was discontinued (video/article). I have the XD-e 3.3" in .45 (along with their XDs and XD Mod.2, both 3.3" in .45). It's a shame it's discontinued, as I like mine.

I am a DA/SA person also, and I like the XDe. Honestly, it had never occurred to me the safety might be accidentally engaged. I also think it is a shame Springfield stopped production.

I think Hans had just the right idea -- a DA/SA version of the RDP would work. (I personally could live without the comp.) There must be room for a hammer-fired polymer pistol with hellcat-like size and capacity somewhere in SA'a lineup.

Back