testtest

Why the Shotgun is One of the Best Options for Personal Defense

The Sheriff said:
"And, because of its historic reputation, the shotgun will often stop fights before they even start. Just about any veteran lawman can relate stories about how the mere appearance of the shotgun caused things to get very, very peaceful in a hurry."

If the sight of it doesn't get your attention rack shell should...

I absolutely love the gauge - I love my boom-stick.

I30o0H4.png

I love it mainly for the fact that it's a fight-stopper. It's versatility is not lost on me academically, but in-practice, for what I need it for -for home-defense- it's more the absolutely devastating terminal effects of 12-gauge double-ought at closer ranges (that said, @Talyn , don't forget that a quick slug-select can make the gauge into an effective rifle at well over 100 yards - mine is a run-of-the-mill 870 with a red-dot on top, and even a cheapo Brennake K.O. has me ringin' my Tac-Strike quarter-scales all-day at the 100 yard line, standing unsupported ;)) that makes it a mainstay in for my safe-room.

That said, I think that it's worth remembering that there are significant trade-offs that the gauge demands.

Weight, recoil, limited ammo capacity and a more complicated set of manipulations and oftentimes unique manual-of-arms all makes the gauge a tool that requires both familiarity and practice, in order to employ successfully.

Shotguns are my favorite weapon. For long term sustainability, NOTHING beats a 12 gauge single shot break barrel. Stupid simple to maintain, can kill everything from big game to small game, can use it as a muzzleloader, inserts are available where you can shoot multiple calibers such as .45, 357 mag, 22LR, .410, 20 gauge, slug or shot capable.

Then there's another aspect such as gardening. You can buy shells (or make them I imagine) to scatter seed for your garden for veggies such as kale.

What if you get lost or hurt? Flare shells exist too. Spider scare the holy hell out of you? Dragon's breath will get him runnin!

What about tactical uses? Well flares can be used for that too though that's more battlefield and old school night warfare. You'll have a portable master key if you ever need to get into a building if the SHTF. Then there's non lethal capabilities followed by immediately lethal rounds such as hard rubber balls, bean bags, salt rock. Select one of those and if the problem is still present have a lethal option ready right behind it such as slugs or shot.

Throwing a party or a gender reveal? Load some shells with confetti or colored powder of your choice!

Hiking in the Utah Rockies along the Wasatch front (way back when) I always took along a Winchester 1200 riot gun I got for Christmas. Some of the guys were happy with their .44s and .357s, but when the moose are in the rut and grizzer bears are loading up for winter, I just loaded up that pump and felt pretty safe. I never needed it, but had I left it home I knew I would regret it. That's how my luck goes. It had a sling and I had a Frito Bandito bandolier full of 00 and slugs.
I kept it til a friend traded me out of it in 1997, IIRC.
It stood between the bed and dresser draped with an old jacket ready for home defendin' most the time.
Guns have come and gone but I've never been without a 12 ga pump.
I have a big heavy Mossberg M590A1 filling in for the old Winchester now.
This one. With a light, a sling and a bayonet. No one should be without an apple peeler.

Attachments

• IMG_0633.JPG
    IMG_0633.JPG
    456.1 KB · Views: 121
Hiking in the Utah Rockies along the Wasatch front (way back when) I always took along a Winchester 1200 riot gun I got for Christmas. Some of the guys were happy with their .44s and .357s, but when the moose are in the rut and grizzer bears are loading up for winter, I just loaded up that pump and felt pretty safe. I never needed it, but had I left it home I knew I would regret it. That's how my luck goes. It had a sling and I had a Frito Bandito bandolier full of 00 and slugs.
I kept it til a friend traded me out of it in 1997, IIRC.
It stood between the bed and dresser draped with an old jacket ready for home defendin' most the time.
Guns have come and gone but I've never been without a 12 ga pump.
I have a big heavy Mossberg M590A1 filling in for the old Winchester now.
This one. With a light, a sling and a bayonet. No one should be without an apple peeler.
Never was a fan of the M9 bayonet.
I always carry a belt knife and tomahawk or light axe in the woods.

Back