testtest

Why We Need to Encourage New Shooters to Get Training: The Sheriffs Take

Another good read from the sheriff, why we need to encourage new shooters to seek training.

why-we-need-to-encourage-new-shooters-to-get-training
Good awareness article, thanks Anni.
To me, sounds there was a likely a lot of supposing going on by both the instructor and a likely nervous newbie about what to expect where? - Just like my supposing and possibly others here? If safety 1st is and should be a prerequisite to firearms, student likely was in a darned good place to learn safety rules. Likely was also a good learning experience for both instructor and student? To me, is a good thing. If instructor had screened student better prior to enrollment about previous experience, they may have been able to suggest a more basic class or when and where to find one too?

Besides, who knows all the details? Crap happens? Newbie likely didn't have any or little experience and possibly no where else to safely learn about defensive shooting and handguns in general? Learning from friends and family is one way of learning firearm safety and basics, student may not have had any if new in area and wanted to protect themselves?

And, stranger things happen sometimes in many places especially now days with virus concerns? It also may have been the only firearms training class of any sort available around there that student was aware of? Many classes of any sort are booked solid for months. From what have seen, doing what can, when available is becoming more common place too. - Many things are still up in the air in far too many places. Basically, frustration likely abounds in many places now days? Learning how to deal with it now and keeping head together in different situations can be helpful later on.

I just read an article this morning in last month's "Dreaded" NRA AFF magazine that pointed out the best way to convert the millions of new gun owners into 2A supporters was to get them involved in training and shooting sports. Well, and to be nice to them. It may be beyond my capacity to be "Nice" to anyone. But I will teach them to shoot. Yelling at them every time they screw up, just like when my dad taught me to drive. :)

Another good read from the sheriff, why we need to encourage new shooters to seek training.

why-we-need-to-encourage-new-shooters-to-get-training
Yes we do. On a Colt 1911 forum I used to belong to their was a young man that was asking some questions about concealed carry as his state was changing over to constitutional carry. Somewhere along the thread he made statement that he could hardly wait until he got the chance to shoot somebody!

Yes we do. On a Colt 1911 forum I used to belong to their was a young man that was asking some questions about concealed carry as his state was changing over to constitutional carry. Somewhere along the thread he made statement that he could hardly wait until he got the chance to shoot somebody!

"Somewhere along the thread he made statement that he could hardly wait until he got the chance to shoot somebody!"

- Hopefully meant in jest. "I'm going to shoot someone" used to be a fairly common sarcastic saying at one time. Rarely meant seriously. Younger folks or others not aware of that saying may not realize that? Things like words can sometimes get twisted around in meaning with mixed company?

Ear
"Somewhere along the thread he made statement that he could hardly wait until he got the chance to shoot somebody!"

- Hopefully meant in jest. "I'm going to shoot someone" used to be a fairly common sarcastic saying at one time. Rarely meant seriously. Younger folks or others not aware of that saying may not realize that? Things like words can sometimes get twisted around in meaning with mixed company?
The flip side to that is “if” he was ever involved in a self defense situation and did end up shooting someone the prosecution could, and may look for and find in his social media that statement and that may make him look like the aggressor. What a stupid thing to say.

That dude needs more than training. He needs his azz kicked.

Ear

The flip side to that is “if” he was ever involved in a self defense situation and did end up shooting someone the prosecution could, and may look for and find in his social media that statement and that may make him look like the aggressor. What a stupid thing to say.

In this day and age? I agree. Back then, many more things were understood to be just harmlessly meant sayings, generally meaning something else and taken fairly trivially.

Also back then, many people used to say "Shoot" instead of **** this or that, "Dang" or "Gosh darn it" too. Even "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" used to be a common kids saying too. (Wars have been started over simple, but inappropriate words may come to mind?) Semi-sarcastically, may be the results of having too many dang attorneys in influential leadership positions making a buck and misery out of too many simple things?

Sometimes, depending on the person, time and place, other simple words may take the fun, joy and hilarity out of things? Sometimes, it can also be a sad, sad world just because of words? Thing is, the world can also be a much better one because of them?

The segment of the population of young people that need training are the ones that did not grow up around guns and/or hunting. They only know what they have seen on TV, Facebook, other social media sites. They have no clue that this is not the wild, wild west and there are laws you need to know and follow. They think that during a confrontation, if their carrying their first resort is the weapon when in fact that is the last resort. Case in point: Young man in my city was involved in a confrontation and when the much larger protagonist informed him that he was gonna whoop is ass, he brandished his gun as a deterrent, he did not point it at him just pulled it so that the guy was aware that he was armed and it probably would not be a good idea. The big guy backed away and left him alone, he thought that was that. Hours later he was arrested at home for assault with a deadly weapon. He plead to simple assault and with that plea not only paid a healthy fine, court costs, got put on probation, and also lost his CCW and his ability to obtain another one in this city for at least 10 years as long as his record stays clean. He took the training our state requires and knew the laws, I have no pity for him. He says it was a stupid mistake, the thing is, if you are carrying a weapon, you can not make stupid mistakes. a stupid mistake can get someone killed (as I step down off my soap box).

The segment of the population of young people that need training are the ones that did not grow up around guns and/or hunting. They only know what they have seen on TV, Facebook, other social media sites. They have no clue that this is not the wild, wild west and there are laws you need to know and follow. They think that during a confrontation, if their carrying their first resort is the weapon when in fact that is the last resort. Case in point: Young man in my city was involved in a confrontation and when the much larger protagonist informed him that he was gonna whoop is ass, he brandished his gun as a deterrent, he did not point it at him just pulled it so that the guy was aware that he was armed and it probably would not be a good idea. The big guy backed away and left him alone, he thought that was that. Hours later he was arrested at home for assault with a deadly weapon. He plead to simple assault and with that plea not only paid a healthy fine, court costs, got put on probation, and also lost his CCW and his ability to obtain another one in this city for at least 10 years as long as his record stays clean. He took the training our state requires and knew the laws, I have no pity for him. He says it was a stupid mistake, the thing is, if you are carrying a weapon, you can not make stupid mistakes. a stupid mistake can get someone killed (as I step down off my soap box).
BreakingWind,
Soapbox? Hardly, is good observation of many people on your part, young or old in too many instances. Some are possibly trained by watching too many movies?

A likely safer bet with your friend? In a confrontation involving any firearm or deadly weapon, even if not fired or used, usual best bet is to call local police asap and describe confrontation. The situation would've likely gone the other way around for your friend and the instigator / antagonist. I wouldn't be too rough on your buddy either, if at all. Extreme stress can cause all kinds of different scenarios including forgetting what's known to be right sometimes. What you described happens far too often in penalizing the wrong person. Not enough people realize that.

Even those who have grown up with firearms or are otherwise somewhat familiar with firearms can do with good training - both to reinforce proper techniques and to obviate bad habits. Sometimes, the worst offenders are those who insist that "I know what I'm doing."

While my core belief is that training must not be mandated, I just as strongly believe in encouraging everyone to get as much training as they are willing to seek. :) We're all captives to Dunning-Kruger, myself included. 😅 :giggle:

Good article. This may be a case where the new shooter "doesn't know what they don't know." Maybe designing classes so that one has to attend prerequisites to graduate to more intense instruction might be a favorable solution.

Good article. This may be a case where the new shooter "doesn't know what they don't know." Maybe designing classes so that one has to attend prerequisites to graduate to more intense instruction might be a favorable solution.

"This may be a case where the new shooter "doesn't know what they don't know."

- Sure sounds like it.

"Maybe designing classes so that one has to attend prerequisites to graduate to more intense instruction might be a favorable solution."

- Firearm training classes around here are generally set up like that in many centers, separating classes and starting with basics then moving on to more advanced classes at a later date after completion of basics. Like CC, Advanced I, II and III. Some other places are likely different?

A great way to get a new shooter to start training is to introduce them to Action Shooting International shooting competitions, They are geared for new shooters or people that have never competed. as a ASI Range officer I have seen people show up with their new fire arm in the box and have a great day competing. it also builds skills they wont get just punching holes in a paper target, It also teaches them they need on going and more advanced training. As a NRA safety Instructor and range officer it is encouraging to see new shooters advance and take more training.
I believe even experienced shooters take some kind of professional training every year and train throughout the year whether it is drills or some other competition IDPA,IPSC,USPSA ect.

A great way to get a new shooter to start training is to introduce them to Action Shooting International shooting competitions, They are geared for new shooters or people that have never competed. as a ASI Range officer I have seen people show up with their new fire arm in the box and have a great day competing. it also builds skills they wont get just punching holes in a paper target, It also teaches them they need on going and more advanced training. As a NRA safety Instructor and range officer it is encouraging to see new shooters advance and take more training.
I believe even experienced shooters take some kind of professional training every year and train throughout the year whether it is drills or some other competition IDPA,IPSC,USPSA ect.

Agreed BC,
The various firearms training should be more widespread throughout the country, unfortunately for too many people it isn't right now. Is a great thing to watch new people to training taking and learning valuable lessons. Can be a win, win.

Another consideration is that with the huge influx of new gun owners, sufficient training opportunities in some areas may be in short supply.

I missed this article first time around. Thank goodness the Sheriff noticed the newbie and gave them extra attention!

So, he was a democrat

Kidding, just kidding … kind of .. this may get me a slap on the wrist, 😉

So, he was a democrat

Kidding, just kidding … kind of .. this may get me a slap on the wrist, 😉
No political affiliation was stated nor assumed. As you can imagine, he was immediately flamed by all involved on that thread. I'm talking burnt to a crisp. He never responded and shortly after he deleted his profile. Can only hope that he heeded the useful information about what his fate would be if he shot someone when the threat wasn't sufficient for a deadly force response.

Back