testtest

Why you need a holster with Retention for OWB Carry

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
For multiple reasons, it is important to have a holster with security mechanisms.

1708537090259.png

OWB =/= Open Carry.

My gun is no more concealed if I carry it inside the waistband with a cover garment (AKA a shirt) than it is if I carry it outside the waistband with a cover garment(AKA a shirt).
20220206_120256.jpg

I have never found a truly concealable actual retention holster. Certainly not a Safariland retention holster
20220211_122941.jpg

This is a Safariland GLS 578. It's certainly a good holster for the money but it's no more retention holster then having a thumb break on your holster.

A cop one time told me one of these holsters That want to carry what he called "Detective Concealed".

He said that meant it's a "concealment" holster for people, like cops, who don't really care if their gun is concealed or not.

I carried it at my last assignment because I was required to open carry but even then I "hid" it under my Stylish Yellow Safety Vest.

For multiple reasons, it is important to have a holster with security mechanisms.

View attachment 52762
None of my holsters have this, never cared for it, my OWB is VersaCarry, my opinion, the retention feature could be trouble for you in a situation. This is my holster preference, now this pic has an Sig 365, but now I use the Ruger Max-9 in its place, same holster……
IMG_2354.jpeg

I don't mind retention, but if you are concealing OWB well I think you would be fine. I like my Safariland ALS holster holsters. The one for my 43x is a treat because it works with my light and dot. Not what I would use for EDC though; touch bulky. I tend to carry IWB though off-duty. No retention.

Back