testtest

Why You Should Use a Shotgun Sling for Personal Defense

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Transitioning from slung to a ready-to-fire position requires frequent practice and training. Experiment to find what works best for you.

1611281119809.png

Boooo. I don’t think my shotgun has sling points. It sucks to be me. But... I just got a new red dot for it! That’s a plus right?

Boooo. I don’t think my shotgun has sling points. It sucks to be me. But... I just got a new red dot for it! That’s a plus right?
It’s not difficult to install sling mounts. And it should really be the first order of business.

Transitioning from slung to a ready-to-fire position requires frequent practice and training. Experiment to find what works best for you.

View attachment 14303

I agree with most of what the author writes in this article. Including his preference for 2 point slings. This illustration here though with the 3 pictures of the guy going from slung to shoulder is probably the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen. I suppose if you do it right it could “ look” cool. And you may end up with enough time to successfully shoot a squirrel if your hunting. Anyone slinging a shotgun that way in any tactical or SD situation is an idiot though.

It’s not difficult to install sling mounts. And it should really be the first order of business.

The previous owner apparently didn’t want them... so he got rid of them.

My gun appears to be polymer where the mounts attach. I’m sure I’d fock it up trying to install new mounts. It’s a three barrel so I doubt I’ll be dragging it downstairs anyways. I’d rather take the AR with me and it has a sling.

The previous owner apparently didn’t want them... so he got rid of them.

My gun appears to be polymer where the mounts attach. I’m sure I’d fock it up trying to install new mounts. It’s a three barrel so I doubt I’ll be dragging it downstairs anyways. I’d rather take the AR with me and it has a sling.
A 3 barrel ? What shotgun is it?

I agree with most of what the author writes in this article. Including his preference for 2 point slings. This illustration here though with the 3 pictures of the guy going from slung to shoulder is probably the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen. I suppose if you do it right it could “ look” cool. And you may end up with enough time to successfully shoot a squirrel if your hunting. Anyone slinging a shotgun that way in any tactical or SD situation is an idiot though.
It may have gone out of fashion, but that is one of the ways we were trained to sling our shotguns in the academy and we used it fairly often. The idea was that it kept your barrel pointed in a safe direction while allowing unimpeded access to your sidearm should things unexpectedly ramp up again. It also allowed you to perform tasks with your strong hand without without getting in the way, while allowing you to transition to back to the shotgun if desired.

I do not know the history of the technique, but it may have been intended primarily for shooters who also had a holstered sidearm on their hip. I doubt it's still taught in many academies, because a large number of departments no longer issue shotguns, but it was an accepted technique in the past. All the departments in my area transitioned to AR's about a decade ago, so slinging a shotgun is a lost art, with the exception of certain specific SWAT applications (breaching, less-than-lethal, etc.). I'm too far removed to know exactly what they do these days.

It may have gone out of fashion, but that is one of the ways we were trained to sling our shotguns in the academy and we used it fairly often. The idea was that it kept your barrel pointed in a safe direction while allowing unimpeded access to your sidearm should things unexpectedly ramp up again. It also allowed you to perform tasks with your strong hand without without getting in the way, while allowing you to transition to back to the shotgun if desired.

I do not know the history of the technique, but it may have been intended primarily for shooters who also had a holstered sidearm on their hip. I doubt it's still taught in many academies, because a large number of departments no longer issue shotguns, but it was an accepted technique in the past. All the departments in my area transitioned to AR's about a decade ago, so slinging a shotgun is a lost art, with the exception of certain specific SWAT applications (breaching, less-than-lethal, etc.). I'm too far removed to know exactly what they do these days.
There’s much less convoluted ways to sling a shotgun while carrying a sidearm and still have the barrel pointed in a safe direction and have your hands free.

I should have asked my cop buddies today if they were taught that. I’ll have to remember to ask them tomorrow.

There’s much less convoluted ways to sling a shotgun while carrying a sidearm and still have the barrel pointed in a safe direction and have your hands free.

I should have asked my cop buddies today if they were taught that. I’ll have to remember to ask them tomorrow.
I'll be interested to hear the responses. Even the younger ones from my academy era would be in their 50's now. No cheating by asking 25 year-olds.

I guess it would depend on what your use for that defensive shotgun is.

In my case, in a “bunker up” use, it’s just going to get in the way.

Of you’re going to go clearing with it, then it’s going to be a lot more necessary.

Back