testtest

Wilderness Survival Rules of 3...

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member

Air, Shelter, Water and Food

Those who venture into the great outdoors should, at a bare minimum, know the survival rules of three.

1703642493936.png

Part of each vehicle kit is a tarp, water, lightfood/snacks and warm bedding/clothing articles.

When hunting I carry a wool blanket tumpline style, learned to use during primitive treks with a small bag of food and candy, water filter straw, fresh socks and fire kit rolled in it. This is in addition to my hunting kit which has canteen and stove along with fire gear and water tabs. Most places I hunt I can easily find water and material for shelter.

Last edited:
Years ago I use to hunt big wooded areas and it seemed back then there was always snow (not any more). I always had a compass with me and would take some road bearings before heading in. It became very useful one day when, on top of the snow already on the ground a huge snow blizzard hit while i was a few miles into the woods. Visually had no idea of which way was north, south, east or west. I couldn't see far enough to recognize any of the mountains or valleys though everything looked different during the snow storm anyway. I just kept peeking at the compass while walking in the blinding snow. In no hurry I eventually came out on the road where my vehicle was about 100 yards away. It was easy walking in but the snow was easily 1.5 feet deep by the time I found the road and still snowing hard.

If I can't see or hear vehicles on the nearest road my compass is with me. Now-a-days it's pretty easy to go any where you want with the phone GPS apps but the old compass is still with me along with food, coffee, water, too many clothes so I can sit without getting cold and multiple of those 10 hour heated hand warmers in a small backpack.

I grew up down by the Texas/Mexico border (Rio Grande Valley) and still have relatives who live in rural parts of border and in Mexico. I moved back to the area in 2021. Where I live is pretty safe but if you drive an hour west or further you better be prepared.

I lived in Arkansas for about 14 years. I lived near Maumelle for most of those years. I have a Marine Corps buddy who lives on 10 acres in Arkansas and is at least an hour from Little Rock. He was always teaching me survival stuff. He's an old country boy who knows how to survive...:)

I like where I live in Texas now. It's not too populated but the town is big enough where there's a Whataburger and Dairy Queen and even a Little Caeser's...:)

Telling someone exactly where you will be (and don’t change your plans) and when you will be back, and having a Personal Locater Beacon are the top things that save lives.

You want to be in a survival situation for the least amount of time and rescue is the first priority. If you get rescued quickly you don’t need to worry about the other stuff. (But still need to carry basic survival gear AND know how to use it).

Years ago I use to hunt big wooded areas and it seemed back then there was always snow (not any more). I always had a compass with me and would take some road bearings before heading in. It became very useful one day when, on top of the snow already on the ground a huge snow blizzard hit while i was a few miles into the woods. Visually had no idea of which way was north, south, east or west. I couldn't see far enough to recognize any of the mountains or valleys though everything looked different during the snow storm anyway. I just kept peeking at the compass while walking in the blinding snow. In no hurry I eventually came out on the road where my vehicle was about 100 yards away. It was easy walking in but the snow was easily 1.5 feet deep by the time I found the road and still snowing hard.

If I can't see or hear vehicles on the nearest road my compass is with me. Now-a-days it's pretty easy to go any where you want with the phone GPS apps but the old compass is still with me along with food, coffee, water, too many clothes so I can sit without getting cold and multiple of those 10 hour heated hand warmers in a small backpack.
+1on the compass. No worries about dead batteries or lost signal😊

Back