testtest

Will a red dot improve pistol accuracy?

i have only had my "green dot" for a few weeks, and it is on my carry gun. i have had only some practice thus far, and i of course need much more. what i have found though is that it did help me get back on target a bit quicker than the iron sights.

of course my age factors into this as well, or at least i think it does.

only more time and practice will tell me if i improve with my carry gun..then too let's not forget, in the dark it may be a better choice than iron sights.
 
I am average with them and without them.
Also notices his microphone is a gun. 😂
yeah, and he's holding it pointed at him...........
1790518646256.png
 
of course my age factors into this as well,
Truth 💯! At 18, I could get a clear sight picture at 100 yards with an M16 irons (back when the military actually qualified with 5.56).

50 years later, a much worse astigmatism where I see almost double front iron sights at arms length, trifocals. I’ve learned which of the two front sights I see to hit what I’m shooting at, but it’s combat shooting at best (shoot to stop threat), no real marksmanship where it’s all hits in the 10 ring at 25-50 yards.

The dots help me get back on target much quicker as well, and for me, the dots sight picture is 100% clearer than irons.
 
I was a skeptic at first and struggled with the Dot. Which I now realize was a me thing. I did find them useful shooting at distance 20 yrds and more but not 10 and in, withe the gap between very inconsistent. I then decided to make them work for me by understanding how they work (purpose) and practice. Much quicker follow ups and when I actually try to be pinpoint accurate (much slower than normal speed) with the Dot only I feel I am very accurate. I use the Dot only for a good portion of my practice firing fairly quick or shoot double taps. I feel finding the Dot quickly does help when I shoot irons by putting my form in much better position. I now have a Dot on all Plastic guns except my Plus, HC, PPS M2 Only my TRP 4.25 has a Dot in my 1911's. I feel they are beneficial in general for older eyes and people with eye issues. I am the proud owner of WMD in my Left and DND in my Right ;)
 
I find them to help when shooting beyond 15 yards with my eyes. Sadly, once the target gets much beyond that distance the rings tend to disappear.

A 2 MOA dot does not completely obscure the x ring like the front sight on most of our pistols does at 25 yards. A 6 MOA does the same thing, so it isn't particularly useful in my world.

The size of the sight in relation to the x ring makes it easier to be accurate.
 
I have found that I am much faster getting good hits with the optic, but more precise when using iron sights. Optics force you to make a good presentation which benefits your shooting with irons
A red dot is definitely quicker on target and if I’m shooting at my preferred 4 inch splatterburst targets I find them much more accurate from about 15 yds out because the front sight tends to obscure more if not all of the target. But since I had cataract surgery I now see irons and red dots equally well and am enjoying shooting irons a lot and I find they seem more instinctual from about 7yds in. Now if I’m shooting on a steel IDPA target and just going for hits, not bulls it’s pretty much a wash, but the speed factor with the red dot is noticeable - particularly if you learn to trust the dot and not try and line it up
perfectly.
 
I get to see a ton of folks with and without from when I worked at a large range doing classes to the training world AI’s and classes like Rangemaster, Hearne, Bolke, Haggard and etc.

I see exceptional as well as horrible examples of both at any given range trip.

Here is what I observe. While Optics “can” improve they are an enthusiasts tool and unless the user is going to out in the practice they don’t help, they are not faster and quite honestly can be a hinderance.

Folks that actually do teainjng or attend a couple classes a year will benefit. The casual gun owner will not!

That said so they make enough of a difference for a self defense scenerio with deliberate trigger pulls and less than one magazine (remember only one recorded case of a reload by a private citizen in a shooting) people that like them or others that don’t like them make more of an argument than what real difference one makes with whatever they choose.

Get one or don’t but whatever get to the range and do a few professional level classes a year with whatever hih carry!
 
Back
Top