testtest

Will Steel Cased Ammo Hurt Your Gun

I shoot it, not frequently. I think with having extractors on hand and the savings in cost compared to what extractors cost you would come out just fine. It does seem dirty in comparison to shooting brass.

Lucky Gunner had a article on running 10k rounds through an AR...the steel jacketed bullets used ended up shooting the barrel out in that time, but you could replace the barrel twice for the money you saved.

I have some steel cased ammo in a few calibers—556, 762x39, 9mm, .45–because it's got incredibly long shelf life under adverse conditions.

And for quite some time, it was my main go-to ammo, because it was so cheap...cases of 9mm for under $100, delivered, .45 for a little more.

Had a G21 that I torture tested with nothing but steel, several cases went through it with no maintenance (including cleaning)...never broke the extractor, didnt even get sluggish until more than 2500 rounds through it (if memory serves)...just knocked some carbon buildup out, dropped in some lube, and it kept chugging along.

I have some steel cased ammo in a few calibers—556, 762x39, 9mm, .45–because it's got incredibly long shelf life under adverse conditions.

And for quite some time, it was my main go-to ammo, because it was so cheap...cases of 9mm for under $100, delivered, .45 for a little more.

Had a G21 that I torture tested with nothing but steel, several cases went through it with no maintenance (including cleaning)...never broke the extractor, didnt even get sluggish until more than 2500 rounds through it (if memory serves)...just knocked some carbon buildup out, dropped in some lube, and it kept chugging along.
I think my Gen 3 G21 is unbreakable...lol. It's a tank of a handgun. I'm sure there's some types of ammo I haven't ran thru it but it's been thru the ringer as far as types of ammo, not one malfunction in 21 years of shooting it. It's in quiet retirement at the moment in my gun closet, but I have no doubt of it's reliability.

I’ve shot steel only out of my Mod2’s and have a few rounds left in 45ACP
From Sig, Winchester and Federal.
I won’t put it through my AR’s

Unless it’s 5.45 surplus, or OLD 7.62x39 (like, close to 20 year old) surplus, even the Berdan primed steel is NC.

Your absolutely right. And it is old old stocked up ammo. This new(er) ammo is not.
bde51a5c366686b4fe11674444183ac8.jpg

0276fd875eb9f64daf4c7088151769e6.jpg

9011dc300335543e65d50e1bd21f1e47.jpg

agree 100% My HKs I don't play around on the ammo. The HK911 and Hk93 gets no reloads or metal case, they just dont make them any more. Now the Select fire MP5 is on a diet of 124gr NATO ammo with crimped case.

Back