testtest

Witsec Shotguns

Bassbob

Emissary
I thought this was an interesting article. I like Travis Pike, though shotguns is one of the topics I often disagree with him about.

Anyway, I have similar weapons and for me they really are just range toys ( though I do have one staged). My instructor on the other hand is a 20 year combat vet Jarhead and a 20 year LEO ( he actually just retired as a Captain) and he has quite a collection of these things. He runs a training facility and a security company.

A semi auto version is somewhere on my short list.

Thought some would enjoy.

I'd argue you can still get the job done handily with a .357 and a shotgun.
Oh hell yes you can..
probably a little more “shock & awe” to have a .357 or a shotgun staring you down over a Glock 😆

1663896575414.jpeg

Yeah, my instructor, like all the old coppers, loves the 870s. He does have a Mossberg which he couldn't wait to show me last time I was out. I figure he bought it just because I keep screwing with him about all the old men loving the Remys. :)
This started out as a Mossberg. It has the same characteristics as a witness protection shotgun. I like the pistol grip better. I've had this since the late 80s. It is a toy that doesn't get out much. As an "Any Other Weapon" NFA item, the cost of a stamp is only $5. It is a beast to shoot with buck shot.

IMG_1077 a.jpg

This started out as a Mossberg. It has the same characteristics as a witness protection shotgun. I like the pistol grip better. I've had this since the late 80s. It is a toy that doesn't get out much. As an "Any Other Weapon" NFA item, the cost of a stamp is only $5. It is a beast to shoot with buck shot.

View attachment 31014
I haven't tried the bird's head grip ( I have a few of these pistol grips laying around). I hear the recoil is easier with the bird's head. I never had a recoil problem with the pistol grip though, I just found I was much faster and more accurate with a shoulder stock with a shortened LOP.

That is a damn fine looking specimen though Recusant.

I haven't tried the bird's head grip ( I have a few of these pistol grips laying around). I hear the recoil is easier with the bird's head. I never had a recoil problem with the pistol grip though, I just found I was much faster and more accurate with a shoulder stock with a shortened LOP.

That is a damn fine looking specimen though Recusant.
Thank you Bob! Putting a stock on it would be the bee's knees; however, that would make it an illegal sawed off shotgun here in Virginia. I have a vertical grip for the fore end and that really helps with managing recoil. When I got this in the late 80s when there was a belief among those who dealt in NFA items that the short barrel shotguns might be banned. The only problem with this model was that the screw on the front end of the heat shield would break after the barrel band got real hot and expanded. This one hasn't seen any real hard use and is mostly a conversation piece.

Thank you Bob! Putting a stock on it would be the bee's knees; however, that would make it an illegal sawed off shotgun here in Virginia. I have a vertical grip for the fore end and that really helps with managing recoil. When I got this in the late 80s when there was a belief among those who dealt in NFA items that the short barrel shotguns might be banned. The only problem with this model was that the screw on the front end of the heat shield would break after the barrel band got real hot and expanded. This one hasn't seen any real hard use and is mostly a conversation piece.
It’s my understanding that just being capable of accepting a regular stock will make that gun an NFA item. Those new Shockwaves and Tac 13/14s are incapable of having regular stocks mounted to them.

At one point I had my cruiser, which is essentially the same as your gun except with a 21” barrel, set up with that pistol grip and a Magpul Vertical grip. I was paranoid the two little screws holding it on would shear off if I used it to brace against recoil.

Those screws for the front of the heat shield are about $8 for the set. I have spares because they do get F’ed up regularly with hard use. Taking that heat shield on and off sheared the bead off the front of my barrel, but I had to modify the shield itself to fit real tight over the barrel in order to install the MOE forend so to take it on and off you have to slide it off the barrel.

We had 870's with pistol grip that we used on protection details. The concept was to use it to break a close in ambush or repel a close in attack on a limo. Shoot like crazy while the limo driver drives you out of the kill zone. I fired one from the front seat of a limo in training. That was nearly 50 year ago and my ears are still ringing. I prefer a regular stock for area or building clearing as accuracy is problematic.

We had 870's with pistol grip that we used on protection details. The concept was to use it to break a close in ambush or repel a close in attack on a limo. Shoot like crazy while the limo driver drives you out of the kill zone. I fired one from the front seat of a limo in training. That was nearly 50 year ago and my ears are still ringing. I prefer a regular stock for area or building clearing as accuracy is problematic.
If I was running a security detail I would definitely have one in the rotation. Like you I prefer stocked shotguns for everything other than very specific tasks I will never be tasked with. While I do have one staged someplace, it's not even close to being primary. Just an emergency thing.

As a junior agent one year I was assigned to security on a limo outside the Waldorf Astoria during the United Nations General Assembly. I believe we had the Japanese Foreign Minister. I had a shorty 870 in a shoulder sling arrangement under my London Fog topcoat. After a few hours of that I walked around lopsided for a while...
I invented a single point bungee sling many years before they became commercially available just for carrying a shorty under a trench coat.

Back