testtest

Working with kydex?

Peglegjoe

Professional
Founding Member
So, since I have made my Hellcat "un-holster-able" from any mainstream company by adding a laser to it...I ordered some kydex sheets online this weekend and plan to try my hand at a DIY holster shell, to fit my Alien Gear backing pieces. I currently have 2 Alien IWB holsters for my XD-s, and I plan to use one of them for my "new" Hellcat shell once I get it made. Form to the gun, cut the edges with enough space to use the four Alien Gear attaching bolts...and attach it to my existing backers.

Has anyone here worked with kydex before? It looks like it should be relatively easy to work with - heat it up, lay it on top of the pistol (wrapped with a towel to give some space), shape it before it cools...? I plan to make a half-depth support tray for the Hellcat, so I can make my flat flanges that will bolt to the holster backer, but other than that...

(I bought six pieces of kydex - I figure by the sixth try I might have something useful?)

No, but I know people that have. And they ain’t all that smart and they figured it out. You’ll have no problems.

Most holster makers do custom jobs. I’m not sure where you’re located but there’s like 5 or 6 in my state. Surely there’s some in yours. But then once you get good at it and get the materials you need you’ll never have to buy another holster so I say go for it.

Yep, I just found this

...looks pretty dirt-simple...and since I'm a bachelor, I won't get yelled at for using the toaster oven! (I also use my dishwasher to clean auto and motorcycle parts....works extremely well! Greasy food...greasy parts...Dawn pods work just as well on either one!)

I'll get myself some foam from JoAnn Fabrics or WallyWorld and make myself a press...my only concern will be heating the polymer too much, I'll make sure there's an empty mag in the well and maybe put the pistol in the fridge while the kydex is heating, just to start out at a cooler temp. If I were going to make a habit of this, I'd make a mold of the gun so I'm not risking overheating the polymer, but for one or three tries (depends how well it works out for me!) I think the polymer will be OK?

Everything is doable just go slow and have fun. I would just be careful of fast temperature changes with the polymer, cold to hot or hot to cold, that would be my only concern.

So, since I have made my Hellcat "un-holster-able" from any mainstream company by adding a laser to it...I ordered some kydex sheets online this weekend and plan to try my hand at a DIY holster shell, to fit my Alien Gear backing pieces. I currently have 2 Alien IWB holsters for my XD-s, and I plan to use one of them for my "new" Hellcat shell once I get it made. Form to the gun, cut the edges with enough space to use the four Alien Gear attaching bolts...and attach it to my existing backers.

Has anyone here worked with kydex before? It looks like it should be relatively easy to work with - heat it up, lay it on top of the pistol (wrapped with a towel to give some space), shape it before it cools...? I plan to make a half-depth support tray for the Hellcat, so I can make my flat flanges that will bolt to the holster backer, but other than that...

(I bought six pieces of kydex - I figure by the sixth try I might have something useful?)
Perhaps you should give Gunfighters Inc a call or send them a message.
I have been using their Ronin OWB Kydex holster for almost three years (real everyday use) and it still performs like new.
Retention is excellent. The trigger is protected.
My pistol has the Crimson Trace laser mounted on the dustcover rail.

Slightly off-topic, but I just saw where We The People holsters have added kydex IWB and OWB (paddle) holsters for Hellcat OSP models to their inventory: $39.00

Last edited:
I want to learn how to do my own, since - although I like the laser I got for the Hellcat (an O-light tac light with green laser https://olightworld.com/tactical/olight-baldr-mini-desert-tan ) - I'm not married to it and will likely change it once Viridian releases an R5 for it. I have no indication they will...but I hope so, since they make it for my XD-s and for similar subcompacts like the P365. Hopefully the Hellcat is just a matter of time. But, if I change lasers, it'll be nice to just pop out a new shell for whatever I have on it at the time. Six sheets of Kydex ran me about $16 and I have scrap plywood and foam around the house from other projects...if its as easy as it looks like it could be, I'm fine with making my own when I need to.

Sounds like a fun project. Are you planning to use Corby bolts for fasteners or what?
How will you separate the pieces to install the new cover?

The shell attaches to the Alien backer with four torx-head screws, that have rubber spacers so you can set rentention preference. I plan to mold my new shell, cut it to match the existing screw holes, drill four holes, and simply screw it to the backer just like the Alien shell.

I’ve done some mods to Kydex holsters and it’s fairly simple. You have to be careful because the Kydex gets soft very quickly and can get a little too flexible. The other thing is be careful how you heat it because the Kydex gives off fumes. In other words, don’t heat it in your oven unless you want your dinners to taste like Kydex for the foreseeable future!

Success!

1010202055a.jpg

Third try and I got it right. I was messing with foam densities to get the right "wrap" - and my toaster oven DEFINITELY stinks now - but I have an EDC holster for a Hellcat with an o-light BALDR rechargeable tac light with green laser.

I had to file some hard corners on the leading edge of the o-light so it didn't hang up on reholstering, but it works and retention is excellent. I'll hit the light with some touch up paint tomorrow.

1010202056.jpg

And as an added, unexpected bonus...every time I draw, the holster activates the light! I don't know how I lucked into that...but I'll take it! One less thing to think about if I have to draw under duress.

Success!

View attachment 10901

Third try and I got it right. I was messing with foam densities to get the right "wrap" - and my toaster oven DEFINITELY stinks now - but I have an EDC holster for a Hellcat with an o-light BALDR rechargeable tac light with green laser.

I had to file some hard corners on the leading edge of the o-light so it didn't hang up on reholstering, but it works and retention is excellent. I'll hit the light with some touch up paint tomorrow.

View attachment 10903

And as an added, unexpected bonus...every time I draw, the holster activates the light! I don't know how I lucked into that...but I'll take it! One less thing to think about if I have to draw under duress.
Sweet. Good job.

Back