testtest

Would or should you use .22LR for personal defense ammo?

I am not going to intentionally formulate a realistic self defense plan around a caliber that is commonly used to bring down a 20 ounce squirrel. The 22LR is great for goofing around on the range, training first time shooters and perhaps a means to deal with small pests or small game. Can the 22LR be used is a self defense role? sure. Is the 22LR something that I would consider adequate for that purpose? Nope. I accept that there can be circumstances where a 22LR may be the best answer when some unique circumstances present themselves. Circumstances which may preclude the use of a larger caliber. As far as the rimfire cartridge being notorious for duds, eh.. I wouldnt say that it happens alot but I will say that in my personal experience it easily happens more often with rimfires than everything else combined. I would consider the "dud" issue to be a fair consideration but simply not a chief one.

I am not going to intentionally formulate a realistic self defense plan around a caliber that is commonly used to bring down a 20 ounce squirrel. The 22LR is great for goofing around on the range, training first time shooters and perhaps a means to deal with small pests or small game. Can the 22LR be used is a self defense role? sure. Is the 22LR something that I would consider adequate for that purpose? Nope. I accept that there can be circumstances where a 22LR may be the best answer when some unique circumstances present themselves. Circumstances which may preclude the use of a larger caliber. As far as the rimfire cartridge being notorious for duds, eh.. I wouldnt say that it happens alot but I will say that in my personal experience it easily happens more often with rimfires than everything else combined. I would consider the "dud" issue to be a fair consideration but simply not a chief one.
I prefer this.

I agree 110%

Someone can argue that you could eliminate a threat with a small rock if it was used correctly, but I'm not going to walk around with a pocket full of rocks.

In a revolver. Absolutely, better than nothing. A 22 magnum even better. A semiautomatic,Nope.
As a Glock fan boy the past 20 years, my 44 had a little to do with that.

Last edited:
I have a loaded tx-22 by the night albeit I have my hellcat too on the nightstand.

I have the tx-22 for somewhat of a home defense gun because my wife can mag dump 16 rounds and shoot as if it’s a laser gun.

I’ve shot 5,000+ rounds with it maybe had 4-5 malfunctions the issue being ammo related.

Back