testtest

Would You Modify an Accurate Gun?

wmg1299

Professional
I am a huge fan of the .22 Magnum round. I finally found a Taurus 942 Ultra-Lite and picked it up from my FFL this afternoon. I quickly swapped the front sight for the Taurus front night sight by Ameriglo.

My preferred grips for small revolvers are the slim after-market wooden grips available for S&W J-Frames (see below). I found a similar set of wood grips for the Taurus on eBay for $55 shipped. I’ve been burned by Taurus quality control in the past, so I figured I would take the 942 to the range for a full function check prior to sinking any money into aftermarket parts that Taurus might not replace if I had to send the gun back for warranty work.

The thing that threw a wrench into my plans was the insane accuracy of the 942 at the range. Right out-of-the-box I was shooting 3-4 inch groups at 25 yards (my indoor range only goes to 25). This may be average for many of you, but it is unusually accurate for me (with a small revolver). I’m not a horrible revolver shooter, but I don’t have nearly as much experience as I do with semi-autos, and it usually takes me a few range sessions to adapt to the heavy trigger pull of a rimfire revolver. I’ll be honest and admit that my accuracy with snub-nose revolvers is fine at typical self-defense distances, but usually starts to suffer past 10-15 yards.

My question is: Would other shooters on this forum change or alter a gun that they shoot accurately in the stock configuration? I prefer the slim grips for concealment, but the 942 is going to be more of a varmint gun to carry while jogging/walking (my neighborhood is next to several thousand undeveloped acres) than an EDC piece. I know that I could just buy the grips to see if I like them, but I am a fairly frugal shooter (you might have already deduced this from the fact that I bought a Taurus). I welcome suggestions and advice from other experienced shooters.

Taurus 942 Ultra-Lite.jpgS&W J-Frame.jpg

Personally that specific Taurus rubber grip is the only rubber grip I have ever liked to shoot with. I left them on my .380 Taurus.

My question would be. Other than the grips and sight you mention. What exactly would be the modifications you are thinking of and why? If you like it, and shoot it well I would personally leave it alone. If the trigger is rough and bothers you, perhaps a spring kit if they make one. Not many aftermarket parts other than that I can think you might need, a nice holster of course.

For me accuracy is a strong combination of the gun and proficiency of the shooter, I’ve recognized that all my guns are different in how they need to be held and presented to achieve passable accurate shot placement.
That being said I don’t change anything on my firearms for any reason.

I am one of those that being mechanically inclined, I usually will make some changes/modifications. I look at a firearm like I look at a car/truck, computer, tool, etc. I like to personalize it or make an improvement for ME. I find that I shoot better with different sights, better grips, etc. S&W grips on their M&Ps are all like sandpaper. This makes them uncomfortable for EDC living in Florida. Talon grips work great for this. I wear progressives, and have trouble picking up regular sights, so I have a pair of HiViz H3s on my EDC. Helps a lot with target acquisition. I think it depends on the individual. If you are comfortable with your firearm the way it is, then use it as is. If the sights are an issue, buy a sight you like and have a gunsmith install it for optimum accuracy. Or see if Taurus will do it for you and ship it to them. Or, you can put some glow paint or neon paint on your sight if it helps. That way, you don't mess with it as it is set up and the accuracy should remain the same. Just my 2 cents. I am a mad modder sometimes, and will make changes to most things I own and use. Except my Springfield 1911 Loaded. That is the exception for me.

WOULD YOU MODIFY AN ACCURATE GUN?​

not really....however, i would change out things if i wanted to "learn" simple gunsmithing..this is why i bought the Tisas 1911, that i have yet to do anything to.

my "plan" was to change out the hammer/strut assembly, with a NHC, "drop in" unit.

as well as replace the trigger.

but to "modify" to make it more accurate?

i don't think so, i am not certain accuracy can improve any more than what it is.

I’d say no. Fit the shoe fits. There’s an enormous accessory market and claims of wondrous results.
I’m an OEM guy and don’t like to mess with how things come from the factory. But what if the factory standard add-ones are not the best fit, then some things need a tweak or two… polish a ramp, change a trigger, add better sights, better grips - or buy something else (not necessarily a bad thing).
The body remains the same but the appearance becomes different, distracting or maybe even awkward.

How many of us cringe when we see a “resto-mod” ‘66 Chevelle SS ?

I would first ask myself which is more important to me ................ accuracy or comfort while carrying/using. Usually for most shooters any modification, whether mechanical or cosmetic is to improve the accuracy. Since it appears you already have adequate accuracy 'out of the box', do you think you can improve on it by making mods to the firearm? If the answer is no, then don't make any mods and just enjoy your gun. If you think you can improve on it, or think of a need for more carrying comfort, etc, etc, then by all means .... with the caveat that any mod you may make can be easily reversed.

I don't know, maybe just me, but if I had an 'out of the box' handgun of most any caliber that I could consistently shoot offhand 3"-4" groups at 25 yds, especially with a 2" bbl, I'd treat that thing like a very, very fine and expensive wine, or a beautiful red headed, fair complexioned woman with a big .... bank account, or a 'cherry' brown/gold 1955 Chevy Bel Air (2 dr/HT) with a well built 572 cu in big block in it, well Me......... I wouldn't change a single thing !!!

Personally that specific Taurus rubber grip is the only rubber grip I have ever liked to shoot with. I left them on my .380 Taurus.

My question would be. Other than the grips and sight you mention. What exactly would be the modifications you are thinking of and why? If you like it, and shoot it well I would personally leave it alone. If the trigger is rough and bothers you, perhaps a spring kit if they make one. Not many aftermarket parts other than that I can think you might need, a nice holster of course.
I already swapped the sight. The only other modification I would consider is the grip. I've traditionally shot J-Frames very accurately with the slim grip, but not as accurately as I am shooting with the stock Taurus grip. I'm not opposed to trigger-jobs in general, but I'm hesitant to make any trigger alterations to a rimfire revolver trigger. I like smooth and light trigger pulls, but I worry that lighter springs lack the power to consistently fire rimfire rounds. I've always preferred to adjust myself to the existing trigger in most guns (except for the horrible stock SD40VE trigger).

Back