testtest

Writting Impliments - Pencils - Get The Lead Out?

BobM

Hellcat
Pencils it seems have been around for ages. They have indeed been around for centuries. Their history seems to be a mixture of many ideas. A very common misconception is pencils contain lead. Most modern pencils "lead" is actually graphite which looks similar in color to lead but is generally harder and darker in color than lead. Some people believe the word pencil was derived from the word lead in other languages. And, some pencils did contain lead at one time although it isn't what many people may think. The lead used in pencils was used in the paint covering the graphite's wood sheath. Depending on the history about pencils read, it can and often does vary. None the less they're usually interesting reading about. Many things have multiple histories, pencils are just one of them. Truth is likely a combination of all or parts of them? Below is a few short articles about the history of pencils. In the last article if scrolling past pencil article is one about ballpoint pens.

I was joking about chewing on pencils that contain lead. It's been graphite for quite some time. I used too have a bar of lead in the '70s. Like a bar of gold it was stamped with a percentage number, not as purity. Still the same perception.
Joking? Figured that! But, raised some thoughts on this end is all. :)
Many people used to chew on pencils at one time. Was common practice.
Haven't used or seen the rectangular Ingots in quite awhile. Only the smaller round ingots around here.
Used to do a lot of poured lead and oakum cast iron pipe joints many moons ago.

You almost never even see pencils anymore these days. Other than various carpentry/construction projects I can't remember the last time I used a pencil.
They're still around, just not like they used to be is all. I still use pencils to do sketches, layouts, mark out lumber and occasional drafting. Am not a fan of CAD. (Computer Aided Drafting or Drawing.) CAD is pretty cool, but used to pencils and easier to use for small work and ideas. To me, ink is a no-no / PITA on lumber.

They're still around, just not like they used to be is all. I still use pencils to do sketches, layouts, mark out lumber and occasional drafting. Am not a fan of CAD. (Computer Aided Drafting or Drawing.) CAD is pretty cool, but used to pencils and easier to use for small work and ideas. To me, ink is a no-no / PITA on lumber.
Which is why I said "various carpentry/construction projects" ;)

Believe me, I know they are still around. I was a journeyman carpenter the majority of my life and a contractor for 25 years. Even though I am now in a completely different field I still do a S ton of remodeling and building. I still can't remember the last time I WROTE with a pencil other than scribbling something down on 2X I just cut or something.

Don't use pencils like I did in programming but still have a bag of my favorite mechanical pencils, the Faber Castil .5mm Colormatic I bought every one I could find when they were discontinued lol.

20210707_091222.jpg

Which is why I said "various carpentry/construction projects" ;)

Believe me, I know they are still around. I was a journeyman carpenter the majority of my life and a contractor for 25 years. Even though I am now in a completely different field I still do a S ton of remodeling and building. I still can't remember the last time I WROTE with a pencil other than scribbling something down on 2X I just cut or something.
Yah, can understand that one.
Can't remember when last wrote much with pen or pencil other than an occasional shopping list. Letters? Whew, been years!

I use pencils more than pens, preferably the 9mm (better in sun light). Bolder lines reduce eye strain :rolleyes: . Mechanical pencils made things easier, so no sharpener had too be lugged around.

Well, all this is very interesting ..... but what I want to know is why the number one selling pencil in the world is a #2?

Uh huh, can you tell me that one? ;)(y)(y)(y)

And if you're a right hander you can look down at the pencil in your hands and read the advertising written on it ............
but if you're a lefty, the writing is upside down and backwards !!! We lefties need advertising too !!!;)(y)(y)(y)

Yeh, y'all ponder on that awhile !!!

Well, all this is very interesting ..... but what I want to know is why the number one selling pencil in the world is a #2?

Uh huh, can you tell me that one? ;)(y)(y)(y)

And if you're a right hander you can look down at the pencil in your hands and read the advertising written on it ............
but if you're a lefty, the writing is upside down and backwards !!! We lefties need advertising too !!!(y)(y)(y)

Yeh, y'all ponder on that awhile !!!
It's all very technical JJ,

In response?

"Well, all this is very interesting ..... but what I want to know is why the number one selling pencil in the world is a #2?"
- A #2 pencil is actually a #1 with a spare and it saves time sharpening. :)

"And if you're a right hander you can look down at the pencil in your hands and read the advertising written on it ............
but if you're a lefty, the writing is upside down and backwards !!! We lefties need advertising too !!!"

- Your glasses may be on inside out again? :)

P.S. Didn't say it was a good one.... :)

Back