testtest

Wrong Gun for Home Defense?

^ Well.....

and

What I love about the man in the first story, the one with the battle axe, is that he literally called the axe his "baby." :)

^ Well.....

and

What I love about the man in the first story, the one with the battle axe, is that he literally called the axe his "baby." :)
That is amazing!

Depends on th room I am in. 9mm in the kitchen. .357 and a 20 gauge coach gun in the living room. 9mm carbine in the She Shed. AR 15 and a 20 gauge SA in the Man Cave. 9mm and my wife's trusty .22 in the bedroom. All with copious reloads at hand. Oh, and my XDe .45 on my belt at all times, with 2 extra 7 rd mags.

I have a baseball bat for that need. ;)
Assault Bat!
tumblr_mg53xo3WCR1rw5dlyo1_500.jpg

My current home defense weapon is my 10mm Hi-Point carbine, I have 4 pistols and a 12 ga. stashed at various places throughout the house if the need arises. Being that my house is very small, i believe the 10mm covers any issues I have with things that go bump in the night.
I have always been told that a shotgun was the best home defense weapon. I used to have a Remington Model 1100 12 gauge. It was my daddy's and it was passed on to me when he died. I hand it down to my son so he could use it to hunt since I am disabled and can't hunt.

I have always been told that a shotgun was the best home defense weapon.

If nothing else, the terminal performance of 00 and #1 buck are just absolutely devastating, at typical CQB (home-defense, inside the home) distances.

I thought that Greg Ellifritz's writeup was excellent: https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/choosing-a-buckshot-load-for-home-defense

The bane of shotguns is patterning - actually, it's incorrect of me to say that this is the downfall of the shotgun: rather, it's typically the downfall that WE as the shooter/operator of the shotgun suffers from. 😅

Taking the time to pattern one's shotgun, using one's chosen defensive load(s), is absolutely critical.

This was a great analysis of an OIS where the officer utilized his shotgun to end a hostage situation. I don't know if there is a full AAR for this shooting somewhere, but the distances would suggest that the officer perhaps did not slug-select, and likely utilized a duty 00-buck load to end the threat.

Even today, we'll find many folks who insist that aiming with the shotgun is not necessary or that a shotgun's spread makes it unsuitable for defensive use at-distance. Both of these myths are not only wrong, but outright dangerous.

On the other hand, when the user knows how his/her shotgun will perform given its load, the shotgun is an undeniably devastating weapon.

I don't think you can go wrong with a shotgun. We had an intruder invade the family home and I woke to the sound of my Dad's 870 slide action a round into the chamber. I saw the guy with his hands up slowly backing out the doorway while the barrel was pointing at his face. There's something unmistakable about that sound that gets your attention.

I don't think you can go wrong with a shotgun. We had an intruder invade the family home and I woke to the sound of my Dad's 870 slide action a round into the chamber. I saw the guy with his hands up slowly backing out the doorway while the barrel was pointing at his face. There's something unmistakable about that sound that gets your attention.
A winner can be anything with an action you can rack..... can change minds in a hurry!

I perfer
My current home defense weapon is my 10mm Hi-Point carbine, I have 4 pistols and a 12 ga. stashed at various places throughout the house if the need arises. Being that my house is very small, i believe the 10mm covers any issues I have with things that go bump in the night.
I agree I perfer keeping many close at hand throughout my home with a shockwave in basement and bedroom with rounds like these

Attachments

• 5CA6CCF1-DB2E-4E5F-A2C4-861C26C4EA6E.jpeg
    5CA6CCF1-DB2E-4E5F-A2C4-861C26C4EA6E.jpeg
    362.8 KB · Views: 243
Back