testtest

WW2 Gun Inplacement's

If I lived there much of that stuff would find a new home in my garage! At least until my wife would have made get rid of it. There are not many places one can still find items from American history laying around. Here's an interesting story about Japan's occupation the islands of Attu and Kiska.

One or more of the breach's will eventually find its way to my front yard as a proper ornament! I just need to find a way to lift and move them. They probably weight several tons!

IMG_20220424_185203472_HDR.jpgThis is known as "Ammo Island" It's a man made Island on Chiniak Lake. They constructed a huge concrete munitions bunker on it then buried it and planted the timber. Some of the trees are almost 100 feet tall now and 24" in diameter. I Tried to post a picture of the bunker entrance but it was to large to download.

This is the fortified implacement bunker on top of Bunker Hill. The two 8 inch gun mounts are on both sides of it. Just out of the photo.
IMG_20220424_182601399_HDR.jpgInside Bunker Hill. The bunker is three or four stories deep. Only the two top stories are accessable now. The military sealed off the two bottom stories after the war.
IMG_20220424_183055796.jpgIMG_20220424_183138272.jpgIMG_20220424_183654173.jpgOne of several sealed off shafts going down to the bottom stories of the Bunker Hill. It is rumor that military equipment like Willy's Jeep's, small arms munition's, weapons like M1 Garand's and morter launcher's were left in the many sealed off bunkers around Kodiak Island!

This is the fortified implacement bunker on top of Bunker Hill. The two 8 inch gun mounts are on both sides of it. Just out of the photo.
View attachment 26787Inside Bunker Hill. The bunker is three or four stories deep. Only the two top stories are accessable now. The military sealed off the two bottom stories after the war.
View attachment 26785View attachment 26786View attachment 26784One of several sealed off shafts going down to the bottom stories of the Bunker Hill. It is rumor that military equipment like Willy's Jeep's, small arms munition's, weapons like M1 Garand's and morter launcher's were left in the many sealed off bunkers around Kodiak Island!
I'd be out digging everyday!

Yes! Also, Alaska was a territory during the war, and that's why you hear people say the US has never been invaded, but you are correct sir. The Aleutian Islands of Alaska was invaded by the Japanese! I believe they took Attu and Kiska Islands from us, but I may be wrong. I should know these facts though!
It was a joint operation with the attempted invasion of Midway. I know Japan also attacked Dutch Harbor but I don't know if they actually occupied it

It was a joint operation with the attempted invasion of Midway. I know Japan also attacked Dutch Harbor but I don't know if they actually occupied it
I'm a commercial Fisherman most of the time and a recently retired Crab Fisherman. I'm just getting to old for that particular fishery anymore. Anyway, I crabbed many years out of Dutch Harbor and am pretty familiar with the WW2 history from what I learned at the Dutch Harbor WW2 museum. Yes. The Japanese did attack Dutch! More than once I believe, but your right. They never took it. Several WW2 bunkers and other wwar2 monuments on Unalaska Island Not as heavily fortified as Kodiak though. If a person was rich and good with a metal detector. Kiska and Attu are the places to go WW2 artifact hunting! I've heard of a Zero still about 95% intact with the pilots skeleton still in the cockpit somewhere on one of the Aleutian Islands. It's a pretty well kept secret from what I understand and a big no no to disturb the pilots remains or his airplane tomb! How true the story is I don't know, but I heard it from a federal scientist so who knows?

Back