testtest

WWHGD (what would hans gruber do)

In .45?

P7M7
USP Match/Tactical/Expert/Elite
P9S
HK45 Tactical
USP Compact Tactical

Now…the P7M7 is a literal unobtanium unicorn—less than 10 made, none were ever released to the public, and only exist in the HK “Grey Rooms”.

The P9S is no longer made, but being a roller-locking design, is quite an unusual find (as well as having a fairly unusual manual of arms when it comes to decocking)…but are pretty neat. A buddy has one with a threaded barrel, fun gun to shoot supressed.

The rest? All modern polymer .45’s; the USP “special” series pistols come with Match triggers which, to be honest, they kind of need.

I’ve got Tacticals & Experts, and a couple of my USP’s that I carry from time to time have all been upgraded to Match triggers.

Personally, I prefer the USP45 over the HK45; partly because a USP45 was my first pistol, but also because the USP has 12rd mags vs the HK45’s 10…

I greatly prefer the USP45 Compact over the HK45 Compact…never cared for the HK45C’s P2000 style grip texture.

They are just possibly the best pistol ever made, and yes i am a 1911 guy, so I would start...

1st. P7 9mm
2nd. P7 .40
3rd. P7 32 acp, 380 never seen either but read somewhere they were made.

The 9mm’s come in 3 flavors (technically 4)—the P7 & PSP, the P7M8, and the P7M13. The PSP is a fairly rare bird, basically identical to a P7 except with a narrower heel mag release & “PSP” engraved on the slide. The M8 & M13 both have paddle mag releases.

The .40 P7 is the P7M10. Used to be the red headed stepchild, now highly desirable…I wish I’d bought one when the were stupid cheap (for a P7).

The number after M (M7, M8, M10, M13) is the capacity.

The .380/.32/.22 convertible P7 is the P7K3. A different design, it’s a straight blowback instead of the gas-retarded blowback of the other P7’s. Quite a rare find, I’ve only seen one copy in person. The K3 is means it’s konvertible to 3 calibers.

And…you may wonder why I passed over the Mk23 in my original list…

Basically, though they are neat, and utter tack drivers (they will hold with a custom 1911 all day long)…they’re HUGE, and damn expensive. With the USP45 Tactical out there, I’m not convinced the juice is worth the squeeze.

Add in the odd right hand threading (every other HK is left hand thread) and the fact that if you run it suppressed, HK will only warranty it with 2 suppressors—one by KAC, and one by B&T.

Don’t get me wrong, though…I’ll own one someday…but it’s not high on my list.

I believe Hans' weapon of choice was the P7M13.

HKs are very well made, but at the end of the day, that's about all the credit I can give them. For a company that was once considered quite 'cutting edge' and willing to think out of the box, HK really hasn't done anything new in a decade or more, and many of their existing designs are in bad need of updates in order to stay relevant, imo. But the cult following is certainly undeniable and will continue. I sold the last of HKs earlier this year. They're good guns, if that's what you're into, just not for me.

The 9mm’s come in 3 flavors (technically 4)—the P7 & PSP, the P7M8, and the P7M13. The PSP is a fairly rare bird, basically identical to a P7 except with a narrower heel mag release & “PSP” engraved on the slide. The M8 & M13 both have paddle mag releases.

The .40 P7 is the P7M10. Used to be the red headed stepchild, now highly desirable…I wish I’d bought one when the were stupid cheap (for a P7).

The number after M (M7, M8, M10, M13) is the capacity.

The .380/.32/.22 convertible P7 is the P7K3. A different design, it’s a straight blowback instead of the gas-retarded blowback of the other P7’s. Quite a rare find, I’ve only seen one copy in person. The K3 is means it’s konvertible to 3 calibers.
Then there is a whole world of variants to collect.

I believe Hans' weapon of choice was the P7M13.

HKs are very well made, but at the end of the day, that's about all the credit I can give them. For a company that was once considered quite 'cutting edge' and willing to think out of the box, HK really hasn't done anything new in a decade or more, and many of their existing designs are in bad need of updates in order to stay relevant, imo. But the cult following is certainly undeniable and will continue. I sold the last of HKs earlier this year. They're good guns, if that's what you're into, just not for me.

I can say, having run pretty much every striker 9mm out there, that the latest iteration of the VP9 is probably the best one available right now when viewed as a total package. There may be others with better triggers (Walther PPQ) or other single features…but with the modularity of the grip panels, optics ready, etc, the VP9 is pretty bleeding edge.

Then there is a whole world of variants to collect.
In the P7’s…that’s about it. Sure, there’s some factory nickel finishes out there (see “my” pistol in Die Hard—that’s a factory nickel P7M13), and a few factory SD (“SchallDampfer” or suppressed—ie, threaded barrel) copies, but…there weren’t a whole lot of variants in the P7’s.

USP’s, though…there’s tons of odd versions out there. With 10 different trigger/safety variants in the basic versions, plus the special versions, and then a few others (the difference between a USP9 Tactical vs a USP9 SD, for example…they’re damn near identical if you don’t know what to look for)…several limited versions, like the Custom Sport…stainless slide (and then “bright” vs “dull”) & colored frames…the USP variants are quite the rabbit hole.

I can say, having run pretty much every striker 9mm out there, that the latest iteration of the VP9 is probably the best one available right now when viewed as a total package. There may be others with better triggers (Walther PPQ) or other single features…but with the modularity of the grip panels, optics ready, etc, the VP9 is pretty bleeding edge.
Agreed (I used to own one). As far as polymer strikers go, they are a very good option. Trigger is pretty good (not great), but the ergos are excellent.

And while this is not just aimed at HK by any means, I have to say that it's super annoying when a company lists a model as "optics ready" and it comes with standard height sights. Any "optics ready" gun that is intended to be anything other than a range toy should have appropriate optics-height BUIS sights on it, out of the box. Otherwise it's not truly "optics ready" imo. But again, HK is far from the only one who continues to do this.

Ok, rant off. :)

Agreed (I used to own one). As far as polymer strikers go, they are a very good option. Trigger is pretty good (not great), but the ergos are excellent.

And while this is not just aimed at HK by any means, I have to say that it's super annoying when a company lists a model as "optics ready" and it comes with standard height sights. Any "optics ready" gun that is intended to be anything other than a range toy should have appropriate optics-height BUIS sights on it, out of the box. Otherwise it's not truly "optics ready" imo. But again, HK is far from the only one who continues to do this.

Ok, rant off. :)
Fair and accurate point…but now with the Holosun SCS coming out, it might be moot…;)

So your a glock fan 🤭
FE1D9E9B-5309-4931-9358-755D8CB5DDDE.jpeg

Back