testtest

WWII’s Most Bizarre Battle? Blimp vs. U-Boat

Damn, I served in the Navy as an Airman and never heard anything about this... Would make a great movie as it touches all the points from ship of the air and sea with restricted speeds in a duel with all the aftermath.

I had no idea. Thanks for the article. I was lucky enough to find the Goodyear blimp tethered and unattended so I reached under the gondola and lifted it over my head while my girl took the pic. Ha, she thought I was amazing ;^)

Reactions: CEW
I had no idea. Thanks for the article. I was lucky enough to find the Goodyear blimp tethered and unattended so I reached under the gondola and lifted it over my head while my girl took the pic. Ha, she thought I was amazing ;^)
Would you be comfortable to post that pic?

My dad was a blimp crewman stationed in Florida. I remember him talking about this battle. Not for himself but it was part of his blimp stories.

One i remember was how they dead silently glided down over a convertible lite thrm up with the spotlight and the pilot asked over the loud speaker what they were doing and scared the snot out of them. I guess it wrecked the guys night...musta thought God was watching.

Last edited:
He said he enjoyed depth charge practice a lot, and flying them a little when his Captain needed a break. I think he enjoyed his blimp service most of all.

My dad commanded a K-ship during WWII.flew up and down the east coast from his D/S Lakehurst,NJ all the way to Rio and back on antisub patrol. his ship even rescued a army air crew that had to ditch their B 26 on a beach on the nothern shores of South America.got a Air Metal out of that. BTW Thats how he met my mom, she was a Navy Nurse stationed at the KeyWest Navy base

I don't have that pic, she kept all the photos and wouldn't share when we broke up. She had the pics of the two airplanes I learned to fly in also. Darn
Yeah, been there got the t-shirt, but the next one was far better and there was the next plane faster, higher and she arranged the purchase on credit cards no less. That was when you got promos weekly for transferring balances at 0% for six months. Just don't forget or 22% it was and is paid off now, but those were the days...

Back