testtest

XD 9mm

JWM

Alpha
I bought an XD compact 9mm for my daughter for Christmas.
Picked up some night sights for it but have discovered these originals are heated in or something & are tough to remove.
Anyone with ideas? I've removed and installed plenty of handgun sights but these are different than any I have encountered.
Any info would be appreciated greatly.

I bought an XD compact 9mm for my daughter for Christmas.
Picked up some night sights for it but have discovered these originals are heated in or something & are tough to remove.
Anyone with ideas? I've removed and installed plenty of handgun sights but these are different than any I have encountered.
Any info would be appreciated greatly.
I've replaced a bunch of factory sights on xdm pistols with tritium night sights. Yes, they are a bear!!! No mortal sight pusher stands a chance. Super tight tolerance. My proven method is old school, barbaric. Wrap weapon in heavy leather, put it in a gooood bench vise. Pick out a quality punch, a big one. Gently shape the punch on grinder, to obtain as much contact on sight as possible. Grab a 3 pound hammer, and hit it like you mean it.

Thank you!
That was my next thought but before I went mid-evil on it I wanted a little feedback.
I even ground on a punch to fit properly.
Thanks again!

I gave up on the brass punch after one wack, went to the toolbox and found a big steel punch. Ground it to nearly fit the whole sight groove. The new sight went in a bit easier than the old came out.

I've done this a few times with a $40 eBay sight pusher. Hardest part was getting the slide in place with the various aluminum spacers. The sights came out without drama in seconds.

One trick I've heard of and tried a time or two is put the slide in the freezer for a good length of time before you try to push the sights out. I've replaced pretty much all of my factory Springfield sights and haven't really had any issues.

Back