testtest

XD-M 3.8 10mm for bear defense

I am heading to Montana in the summer into the back country. I am looking to pick up a pistol for bear defense and am seriously considering the 3.8 elite 10mm. Any issues with running hot heavy round (buffalo bore) ammo through that? To much kick for a small compact gun? Thanks for the help
Although I own the Compact 3.8 10mm
I don’t have enough knowledge in what you want to shoot in it, that being said I’m positive there are forum members who can help with that or my suggestion would be to call Springfield Armory and ask them. My only concern is taking a short barreled handgun where a longer barrel would offer greater longer distance accuracy.
My choice would be that gun as well as my XDM 4.5 barrel 45ACP or a longer barreled 10mm.

Although I own the Compact 3.8 10mm
I don’t have enough knowledge in what you want to shoot in it, that being said I’m positive there are forum members who can help with that or my suggestion would be to call Springfield Armory and ask them. My only concern is taking a short barreled handgun where a longer barrel would offer greater longer distance accuracy.
My choice would be that gun as well as my XDM 4.5 barrel 45ACP or a longer barreled 10mm.
That’s a really good point. Thanks for the advice

Nope, been in a bear situation and they move way too fast, and that's even if you see them prior at a decent distance. If you get surprised they can be on you before you know it. I want a revolver. Preferably a short barreled 44 magnum loaded with heavy Buffalo Bores.

A pistol can jam with fur making it one and done or be pushed out of battery making it none and done.

Just an opinion from someone who had a Blackie decide to take shelter in the same tree I was in. They are like greased lightning when they need to be.

And the worst part is your brain is saying no way in heck they can be that fast.

Last edited:
We’ll to answer your question, yes the XDm elite 10 will handle heavy buffalo bore and underwood’s hard cast loads just fine. Is recoil stout? Yes but not unmanageable.

Nope, been in a bear situation and they move way too fast, and that's even if you see them prior at a decent distance. If you get surprised they can be on you before you know it. I want a revolver. Preferably a short barreled 44 magnum loaded with heavy Buffalo Bores.

A pistol can jam with fur making it one and done or be pushed out of battery making it none and done.

Just an opinion from someone who had a Blackie decide to take shelter in the same tree I was in. They are like greased lightning when they need to be.

And the worst part is your brain is saying no way in heck they can be that fast.
Understood and a great point. I was never good with a revolver and like the capacity of the mdx. I have a 44 6” barrel and couldn’t hit the side of a barn at 10 yards with it. I have the XD-M 9mm and love it.

I'm with Sld1959 on this one, big bore revolver, 44 mag or bigger, 4" barrel in a chest rig. Revolvers can be fast and acurate, with practice. Single action has a much lighter trigger pull if thats whats been pulling your shots in the past. Learn where the big bear kill shots are. Make time to be ready. Same as any other life or death self defence drill. Right tool, stop the fight.

Altough I did carry my Glock 20 10 MM on my last trip to Alaska, I had normally carried my Dan Wesson .445 Supermag. Asked a guide about carrying big bore. He advised I would probably do okay because of my law enforcement background t and training. He said he was not sure of a lot of clients because the bears can move so fast.

I run Buffalo Bore in my 3.8 10mm with no issues.

Regarding semi-auto vs revolvers in my area (N. Rockies with grizzlies) semi-auto 10mm's are very popular for carry.

If your close enough to get fur in your handgun a revolver can get fur in it also, and you're likely only going to get one shot off with a revolver if that close.

Last edited:
Lately the Grizzlies have not been confined to "The Back Country" in Montana as they once were. They are spreading out and being seen in places that had no Grizzlies. Central and South Central Montana come to mind, well east of the Rockies.

I have read of, or known, very experienced Montana and Wyoming hunters, natives all, that have had their dance tickets punched by Grizzlies, even when they did everything "right". None died, but man were they torn up.

I have found myself in "close encounter" situations a few times, and it gets your senses on full klaxon. A sow with cubs or any bear on an animal carcass is something you want to avoid at all times. Be very aware of your surroundings and stay as much to open country as you can. Bears have a disturbing body odor. If you smell something foul and out of place, get away from that area. If you see evidence of "rooting" (looks like an excavator was tearing up the ground), get away from there.

I'm not telling you not to go and enjoy yourself, just be savvy about the country. Talk to Forest Service folks, game wardens or locals before you go on a hike. I'm a Montana native, and I carry a Glock 20 when I'm about in the back country. I haven't had to use it, and that's the way I want it to stay. As for me, if I have to use it to defend myself, I've stepped in it big time. It doesn't hurt to carry bear spray as well.

I've read too many accounts of man vs brown bear to go any distance out into their turf with a pistol of any sort.
I'm comfortable with a high capacity Mossberg stuffed with the hottest slugs I can find at the time.
Even then I'd hate to run onto a grizzly. The pump is a minimum for me to sleep in a tent. A back up .44 would be along for the trip, too. And a buddy I can easily outrun. Dang bears.

Back