testtest

XD-S Mod2 New Owner

JChattin17

Operator
Hello everyone, first time gun owner and I’ve been a quiet Armory Life member.
I finally got my XDS Mod2 9mm with the instant gear up. Of course there are no ranges open to practice.
Since I am new to gun ownership, I was wondering if I could ask a question about dry firing. Is it ok to do so or could it ruin the gun?
The reason I ask is...
I’d like to get a feel for the “break point” of the trigger. (I’m sure my terminology is wrong).
I have read up on all the gun safety I can find and I’m always checking the gun to make sure it’s unloaded and clear so no worries there when pulling the trigger.
Thanks in advance for all the advice.

Attachments

• 1842FBAE-A00B-4129-9360-F4CFD7801667.jpeg
    1842FBAE-A00B-4129-9360-F4CFD7801667.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 172
Congratulations on the new purchase! I love my XDS mod 2 9mm! I dry fire it (hopefully that’s ok), but mostly I take it to the range. Feed it everything and it spits it out. Have not tried the Ammo with polymer tips, but everything else works like a charm.
Enjoy!

Hello everyone, first time gun owner and I’ve been a quiet Armory Life member.
I finally got my XDS Mod2 9mm with the instant gear up. Of course there are no ranges open to practice.
Since I am new to gun ownership, I was wondering if I could ask a question about dry firing. Is it ok to do so or could it ruin the gun?
The reason I ask is...
I’d like to get a feel for the “break point” of the trigger. (I’m sure my terminology is wrong).
I have read up on all the gun safety I can find and I’m always checking the gun to make sure it’s unloaded and clear so no worries there when pulling the trigger.
Thanks in advance for all the advice.
Dry fire is not only ok (for striker pistols like the XD series), it’s highly encouraged. Just make sure you’re not teaching yourself bad habits. Watch some videos about proper grip (I prefer the thumbs forward as it substantially improved my shooting when i switched), how to draw from a holster and press out, and consider buying a MantisX. It’s an awesome system for dry fire practice that gives you detailed breakdowns of how you’re shooting and how to fix it. Also has a social gaming aspect that is fun since we’re all home bound

Congratulations on your new purchase. I have a XD-S .Mod2 in 9mm as well and I'm very happy with my purchase. I'm sure you're going to love yours like I do. You definitely came to the right place for information and advice. There is a wealth of knowledge here. Welcome!

Last edited:
Very nice. I think that pistol will serve you well and you will be happy with it. As the others have said, absolutely on the dry firing. Great practice. When you are able to get to a range or somewhere to shoot it please give a range report.

You will enjoy that gun as much as I enjoy my XDM Mod2’s I have the 9, 40 and 45
After recently digging into the
re-designed Springfield Armory website I was surprised to find the XDM versions of the Mod2’s no longer offered.
Sad but understandable as I also see S.A.
Going in a great direction with there new long guns.
Welcome to the ArmoryLife Forum. Just ask a question and you will be overwhelmed with a wealth of knowledge.

When I first got my MOD-2 I read an article that dry firing may break a roll pin over time.
I wrote to Springfield customer service about dry firing and was told absolutely not to dry fire even though you have to for disassembly, I am reasonably sure that response is the typical cya lawyers response.
I guess you will have to make that call, I never dry fire any of my firearms except for disassembly.

Welcome to the forum. Love my XDS Mod 2. Also got mine with a gear up package. I dry fire mine all the time with a laser cartridge. This was a huge help in getting the kids to aim and shoot. You can run these with apps to tell you where you are pointing. I never did any of that. The favorite target? The screws holding the outlets or switch plates on from across the room. Quick laser flash of light tells you if you are on target. Remember, these are designed not to extract like a normal cartridge would. I use a pencil eraser to give it a little push out. I think it cost around $40 at the time and it works fantastic. They have plenty of others out there for less. Can't speak for how those brands would work though. I have also used snap caps with the kids.

Hello everyone, just a friendly update.
I went ahead and bought the Pink Rhino laser cartridge for dry firing and downloaded the LaserHIT app in early May. That gave me a couple weeks of “home practice” and now some ranges are open in PA. I got to fire a hundred rounds through my pistol last week keeping the distance at 5, 7 and 10 yards. Mostly 5 to 7.
The gun worked flawlessly and I was very happy with my accuracy. Thanks to everyone for all the advice and tips.

Back