testtest

XDE De-Cock question

Hi Borninthe40s. Welcome to the forum.

As far as the decocker, I like them. I don't agree with the article Bangbang linked where the author said they suck. They don't. And to decock the XDe, just push the safety lever down. I have wondered whether or not it would be a good idea to also let the hammer down easy rather than letting it just snap down. In the past for a semi-auto, at slide lock I just pushed the release and let the slide slam closed. Lately, I have heard from several folks not to release the slide that way because it introduces wear on the slide release. The same kind of thing could apply to the decocker.

Hopefully, some of Springfield's staff will jump in here with some advice. I was wondering about whether or not to use snap caps because a lot of folks say they are unnecessary. I emailed Springfield, and they advised to use snap caps. That was before the Forum was available.

Hi Borninthe40s. Welcome to the forum.

As far as the decocker, I like them. I don't agree with the article Bangbang linked where the author said they suck. They don't. And to decock the XDe, just push the safety lever down. I have wondered whether or not it would be a good idea to also let the hammer down easy rather than letting it just snap down. In the past for a semi-auto, at slide lock I just pushed the release and let the slide slam closed. Lately, I have heard from several folks not to release the slide that way because it introduces wear on the slide release. The same kind of thing could apply to the decocker.

Hopefully, some of Springfield's staff will jump in here with some advice. I was wondering about whether or not to use snap caps because a lot of folks say they are unnecessary. I emailed Springfield, and they advised to use snap caps. That was before the Forum was available.

Yes, they don’t suck. It was showing two different ways/types but not sure why he said it sucks. I love it.

There's nothing wrong with riding the hammer down with your off thumb when you use the decocker, either, if just letting it drop gives you the willies. I do it that way most of the time...not because I’m worried, but because it's a little more quiet.

Not familiar with the XDE but like Hans mentioned just use your off hand thumb to ride/guide the hammer down, letting it it just slam down is kind of scary.
My opinion.

I don't know how the mechanics are in an XDe, but in a P22X sig, the firing pin is blocked until the trigger is all the way to the rear. I would think others are the same. I know some models, when decocked, drop the hammer. Others disconnect the hammer and lower it as you release the lever. Either way, I don't see fault in riding the hammer down gently as long as your finger is not on the trigger itself.

Back