testtest

XDM .45

Richdd

Alpha
Hello. I'm new here and would like some guidance on an issue I'm having.

Went to the range today with my XDM .45 ACP.
I a little confused with my sight picture. The forward sight had to be way above the rear sight dots. (See photos).
I've never had this issue before, and have been dead accurate since I've purchased it.
What could have changed?

Attachments

• 20220513_165737.jpg
    20220513_165737.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 85
  • 20220513_165750.jpg
    20220513_165750.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 81
  • 20220513_170153.jpg
    20220513_170153.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 84
Lots of questions to answer before accurate advice can be given by the experts here (I am not one of them...I just read their stuff)...age of pistol? rounds through it? Did it perform well prior and for how long? ammo today vs. past when it was accurate (brand, bullet weight, factory loads or re-loads, etc.), what is your handgun experience...is this another problem with technique? Have you had another "good" shooter try it? Shoot it from a rest to verify? Got a bore-laser to verify? Those bore lasers are handier than I originally thought before I got one...I am referring to a fake cartridge with a laser in the nose that points out the muzzle....shows the initial POA from the chamber.

Sights on that pistol are not adjustable for elevation...do you have OEM sights?

Have someone else verify the pattern first. Process of elimination.....

Lots of questions to answer before accurate advice can be given by the experts here (I am not one of them...I just read their stuff)...age of pistol? rounds through it? Did it perform well prior and for how long? ammo today vs. past when it was accurate (brand, bullet weight, factory loads or re-loads, etc.), what is your handgun experience...is this another problem with technique? Have you had another "good" shooter try it? Shoot it from a rest to verify? Got a bore-laser to verify? Those bore lasers are handier than I originally thought before I got one...I am referring to a fake cartridge with a laser in the nose that points out the muzzle....shows the initial POA from the chamber.

Sights on that pistol are not adjustable for elevation...do you have OEM sights?

Have someone else verify the pattern first. Process of elimination.....
1) I bought it new March 2012.
2) Rounds through it...... ahh..... over 3K
3) Yes, it performed well prior to this event.
4) All bullets are factory loads. PMC, Hornady Lawman +p, and Speer Gold HP. No issues with these rounds.
5) Experience. Medic on a SWAT team in a large NJ city. (Just retired)
6) Technique? Maybe..... I don't think I have that issue, but I could be wrong. After all, I do have a ex. wife.
7) Yes, I had another shooter shoot it in the same session, and he got the same results.
8) I did not shoot it from a rest.... unless you consider my massive muscle bound hunk of a body a type of rest????
9) My Site-Lite SL 500 is being repaired, so I did not have that option at the range. I can do it when I get it back.
and 10) Yes OEM sights.

Last edited:
Hello. I'm new here and would like some guidance on an issue I'm having.

Went to the range today with my XDM .45 ACP.
I a little confused with my sight picture. The forward sight had to be way above the rear sight dots. (See photos).
I've never had this issue before, and have been dead accurate since I've purchased it.
What could have changed?
If you aligned the sights like they should be was your impact high or low?

Has the gun been cleaned and oiled completely in awhile?

Was it just a high/low issue or was left/right affected as well?

Have you ever replaced the recoil spring assembly?

Last edited:
If you aligned the sights like they should be was your impact high or low?

Has the gun been cleaned and oiled completely in awhile?

Was it just a high/low issue or was left/right affected as well?

Have you ever replaced the recoil assembly?
If I align my sights correctly, the shots are VERY low.
Yes. The last time I went to the range, (3 weeks ago with this gun), It was cleaned and oiled afterward.
It was a high low issue only. If my windage is off it is because it was intentional.
No, I have not replaced the recoil assembly. Would that cause it???

I'm not an expert, but I have a good amount of experience with the XDM 45. My first question is, did you use a different type of ammo for this session as you did in previous sessions? Different brands, loads, projectile weights, and bullet types can all print very differently through the same gun. It is not uncommon for a gun that was sighted-in for a 185 gr. JHP defensive loads to have different results with 230 gr. ball ammo.

If I align my sights correctly, the shots are VERY low.
Yes. The last time I went to the range, (3 weeks ago with this gun), It was cleaned and oiled afterward.
It was a high low issue only. If my windage is off it is because it was intentional.
No, I have not replaced the recoil assembly. Would that cause it???
It’s ten years old and you said 3K rounds through it, it’s close to being due.
How often do you shoot +P through it?

Did you buy it new and register it with Springfield A. For warranty purposes?

Did you take it apart and inspect the barrel?

I'm not an expert, but I have a good amount of experience with the XDM 45. My first question is, did you use a different type of ammo for this session as you did in previous sessions? Different brands, loads, projectile weights, and bullet types can all print very differently through the same gun. It is not uncommon for a gun that was sighted-in for a 185 gr. JHP defensive loads to have different results with 230 gr. ball ammo.
Good point.

It’s ten years old and you said 3K rounds through it, it’s close to being due.
How often do you shoot +P through it?

Did you buy it new and register it with Springfield A. For warranty purposes?

Did you take it apart and inspect the barrel?
I do not shoot +p through it often, as it is my carry ammo. And I do not want to use expensive ammo. when I can use ball ammo. And I have never noticed a difference from one ammo. type to another with this gun. My rifles are different story.
Yes. I bought it new. And yes, I did register it..... but that's a long time ago.
I will take it apart in a little while to clean it, but I do an inspection every time it clean it, and have found no issues.

I try to use different ammos every time I shoot it. But the ammo. I used today was typical of what I normally shoot. And no different than usual.

I try to use different ammos every time I shoot it. But the ammo. I used today was typical of what I normally shoot. And no different than usual.
I would contact Springfield Armory and explain your situation, tell them you would like to have the gun inspected.
The Springfield warranty is lifetime.

(800) 680-6866
Call Them on a weekday around 9:30am
When I call them around that time I’m on hold for maybe 3 minutes.

I loved your reply Rich....that was funny.

I concur with Keystone...call SA. They are as good as it gets taking care of their customers...looking at your targets and the POI's, something is definitely off. Changing ammo might move you an inch at 5 yards...not 6" inches like your picture(s) illustrate. A pistol wearing over time will change the POI slowly. Since yours changed so quickly, I'm a tad stumped.

Are the groups you get now the same size as the groups it shot prior to the problem? Just that they are in the wrong place? It looks like they might be all over the place...

Wonder if the recoil spring is worn out. I would think it would cause you to shoot high but by the looks of those targets, it’s all over the damn place. If the recoil spring is worn enough, could cause the barrel to drop and the slide to move before it’s supposed to.

Update.
I tore the gun apart. checked the barrel, and seer for wear, as well as all other parts. They appear to be in good condition.
I will take Keystone's advice and call Springfield Firearms Monday.

Thank you everyone!!!!

I loved your reply Rich....that was funny.

I concur with Keystone...call SA. They are as good as it gets taking care of their customers...looking at your targets and the POI's, something is definitely off. Changing ammo might move you an inch at 5 yards...not 6" inches like your picture(s) illustrate. A pistol wearing over time will change the POI slowly. Since yours changed so quickly, I'm a tad stumped.

Are the groups you get now the same size as the groups it shot prior to the problem? Just that they are in the wrong place? It looks like they might be all over the place...
If you look at the corrected picture I am able to get good grouping, but I am forced to use that modified sight picture. I'm way stumped myself.

Back