testtest

XDM elite 9MM

Recently purchases XDM elite and the store sold me a dragonfly red dot to go with it. I cannot get the 10mm torx screws loose on the weapon. Tried to heat it with no available luck. Tried two different sockets or Allen wrench. Is there special torx socket for this gun. My dealings with tamper proof torx has a pin in the center and these screws look as if the hole is tapered. Any advice will be helpful

Recently purchases XDM elite and the store sold me a dragonfly red dot to go with it. I cannot get the 10mm torx screws loose on the weapon. Tried to heat it with no available luck. Tried two different sockets or Allen wrench. Is there special torx socket for this gun. My dealings with tamper proof torx has a pin in the center and these screws look as if the hole is tapered. Any advice will be helpful
You most likely need a torx bit, see attached pic

Attachments

• 05561FD8-F8E5-4F89-BE4E-C8FA5D68B556.png
    05561FD8-F8E5-4F89-BE4E-C8FA5D68B556.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 70
My first recommendation would be to invest in a quality set of Torx Bits, low quality bits tend to break off in the Torx head screw or strip out the head of the screw, if still unsuccessful find a gunsmith or contact Springfield Armory for assistance.

Thank you for you input but as a retired auto mechanic I have quality torx bits. I tried the allen torx that came with the red dot and my MAC torx bit, and another one . All just just slipped in the screw. The inside of the screw is very shallow and I though there might be a special bit that I don't have.

Thank you for you input but as a retired auto mechanic I have quality torx bits. I tried the allen torx that came with the red dot and my MAC torx bit, and another one . All just just slipped in the screw. The inside of the screw is very shallow and I though there might be a special bit that I don't have.
Honestly in that case a gunsmith or Springfield Armory is your best bet to avoid a nightmare.

Two things come to mind.

First, I recently bought a Milwaukee 9 in 1 ratcheting screwdriver. Tried to use the included #2 Square drive bit on a #2 trim screw. Too tight, it would not go completely down into into the opening, slipped out under pressure. Tried a different standard 1” Milwaukee driver sq. bit and no problem. Manufacturing tolerances definitely not optimal.

Secondly, I’d put that screw under magnification if you already haven’t.
Once found I was using a Torx on a Triple Square XZN head. Lucky for me the set screw wasn’t under any torque or it would have stripped.

Did they use too much blue loctite, I doubt it was red, did assembler over-torque…who knows.
I’d leave this issue with SA.

Thank you for the information. I just ordered a set of Triple Square sockets. They should come today and I will try again. Talked to Springfield yesterday and they said that if I sent the weapon in that they will loosen the screws. I think that I will give it another try before sending the weapon back.

Back