testtest

XDM Elite in NY

BR3040

Alpha
I have some questions on the XDM 3.8 Elite. I love my XDs and am looking at the 3.8 in 9mm. I stayed away from the 9 for years but now am coming back to revisit. A local dealer said he could not get this piece in because there was no 10 round mag made for it. Will another XD 10 round mag fit the XD Elite 3.8 or can my gunsmith plug the mags like he has on some of my other larger mags?

I have some questions on the XDM 3.8 Elite. I love my XDs and am looking at the 3.8 in 9mm. I stayed away from the 9 for years but now am coming back to revisit. A local dealer said he could not get this piece in because there was no 10 round mag made for it. Will another XD 10 round mag fit the XD Elite 3.8 or can my gunsmith plug the mags like he has on some of my other larger mags?
One of the Elites selling points is the added capacity. With it being a brand new gun I think your best bet would be to have a smith plug the mags. Also consider the brand new Elite 3.8 Compact. It’s a 14rd mag vs the full size 20rd makes more sense for a plug job and my large hands still fit the compact quite well with the pinky extension (gen 1, the elite’s flared well replaces the need for a pinky ext)

Thanks. I was thinking the compact anyway but didn't state it. My hands are fairly large but as you say with the extension it's fine. I have an XDS .45. The local FFL dealer said he flat out couldn't get them in his store which confused me. I'll probably do the usual and get one on Broker then when it goes to my FFL who is also a smith he can take care of it. I don't think the local FFL I was speaking with was up to speed on everything. He could have assumed I meant the full size as he was talking 20 round mags and said they couldn't be plugged. To him the M meant military. He thinks he can't get any XDMs because of what he thinks. I just got a Glock 19 Gen 5 and love too but I just adore the look of the Springfields and those I have function perfectly.

I did find a 10rd mag for the XDM line but it looks like the size is the 19rd body. Makes sense for the Elite 3.8 but not so much for the Compact as you would have to pull the mag well and use a sleeve, making it a “full-size”.

I did find a 10rd mag for the XDM line but it looks like the size is the 19rd body. Makes sense for the Elite 3.8 but not so much for the Compact as you would have to pull the mag well and use a sleeve, making it a “full-size”.
This is my first post so I hope I am doing it correctly. As a 73 y/o in Connecticut (10 round state) waiting for my permit to go through I have wondered about this too. This is the pistol I am hoping to somehow purchase. I too have found a mag on a SA web site that shows what looks like to me would fit. If it does, the local gun shops still can NOT order the standard version as it offers no option to ship with the 10 round mag. Does anyone think SA will at some point consider offering an option to purchase this (the new XDM 3.8 Elite) with the 10 round mags? There are already quite a few 10 round states and I could see that number increasing at some point in todays environment. Also has anyone had any experience (legal of course) in getting around this subject so that they could in fact get this gun with the 10 rd mag? This is the link (https://store.springfield-armory.com/Shop/pc/XD-M-Compact-10-Round-Magazine-9mm-p1777.htm) to the mag I came across, does anyone know if it will fit the new XDM 3.8 Elite? That you all for any suggestions or comments on this. If this has been posted incorrectly, I apologize, it seems I can't post a new question on my own, says I don't have the right to that yet, ??. Thanks again.

Bill

This is my first post so I hope I am doing it correctly. As a 73 y/o in Connecticut (10 round state) waiting for my permit to go through I have wondered about this too. This is the pistol I am hoping to somehow purchase. I too have found a mag on a SA web site that shows what looks like to me would fit. If it does, the local gun shops still can NOT order the standard version as it offers no option to ship with the 10 round mag. Does anyone think SA will at some point consider offering an option to purchase this (the new XDM 3.8 Elite) with the 10 round mags? There are already quite a few 10 round states and I could see that number increasing at some point in todays environment. Also has anyone had any experience (legal of course) in getting around this subject so that they could in fact get this gun with the 10 rd mag? This is the link (https://store.springfield-armory.com/Shop/pc/XD-M-Compact-10-Round-Magazine-9mm-p1777.htm) to the mag I came across, does anyone know if it will fit the new XDM 3.8 Elite? That you all for any suggestions or comments on this. If this has been posted incorrectly, I apologize, it seems I can't post a new question on my own, says I don't have the right to that yet, ??. Thanks again.

Bill
There have been some forum modifications to prevent recent spam issues. I’m not sure what the time limit is before you can post but it will come. As for if Springfield will ever offer a 10rd compliant Elite model I just don’t know. There do seem to be a few XD models with 10rd mags but I don’t know if those are still being produced or just leftover SKU’s from old product lines. My best guess is if they do offer the Elite Compact in 10rd versions it will be a while before it happens. The XDM 10rd compact mag will fit the Elite Compact but only after removing the flared magwell.

There have been some forum modifications to prevent recent spam issues. I’m not sure what the time limit is before you can post but it will come. As for if Springfield will ever offer a 10rd compliant Elite model I just don’t know. There do seem to be a few XD models with 10rd mags but I don’t know if those are still being produced or just leftover SKU’s from old product lines. My best guess is if they do offer the Elite Compact in 10rd versions it will be a while before it happens. The XDM 10rd compact mag will fit the Elite Compact but only after removing the flared magwell.
Thanks Okie for the very prompt and helpful response. As I mentioned if I could only find a way for my gun shop to order the standard setup, then I could buy the 10 round mags. He told me they just won't ship the 14 rd mag version to Connecticut. Removing the magwell wouldn't be a problem and with a 10 rd mag it would be so nice and small....and so easy to conceal!! Also thank you for the posting info, I sincerely appreciate it.
Bill

Thanks Okie for the very prompt and helpful response. As I mentioned if I could only find a way for my gun shop to order the standard setup, then I could buy the 10 round mags. He told me they just won't ship the 14 rd mag version to Connecticut. Removing the magwell wouldn't be a problem and with a 10 rd mag it would be so nice and small....and so easy to conceal!! Also thank you for the posting info, I sincerely appreciate it.
Bill

It’s my understanding that a company will not ship a magazine that has a capacity larger than 10rnds even if you or a gunsmith are going to modify it. It will have to be a factory 10rnd magazine to be shipped in order for it to come from a company that produces them. I’m not so sure on “plugging” a high capacity magazine would work or be considered legal, I thought it had to be a 10rnd magazine not a magazine that has or had the capability hold more than 10 but plugged for 10 rounds.

It’s my understanding that a company will not ship a magazine that has a capacity larger than 10rnds even if you or a gunsmith are going to modify it. It will have to be a factory 10rnd magazine to be shipped in order for it to come from a company that produces them. I’m not so sure on “plugging” a high capacity magazine would work or be considered legal, I thought it had to be a 10rnd magazine not a magazine that has or had the capability hold more than 10 but plugged for 10 rounds.
That's absolutely true. What I would want to try would be having it ordered without any mags as long as the ones I mentioned in the link above will definitely fit this gun. In that case I don't believe removing the mag well would be in any violation if all I ended up with were just SA stock 10 round mags. In fact if possible I could ask to see if it could be ordered without any magazines or the mag well. Of course in that case I might as well ask if it could be special ordered with just 2, 10 rd mags but I'm sure all of my wishes here are just that, wishful thinking, or plain out desperation, lol. Then again my gun store has no problem with me ordering a used gun, who knows what's out there. Guess it didn't hurt to ask and get others opinions. Thanks guys for all your responses and help.

Bill

Not sure about CT specifically but for me I recently purchased a piece that came with 15 rd mags. The whole package had to go through my FFL who is also a smith. He professionally plugged the mags for me before I could take it. It’s legal for him to receive the large mags as he can sell them to law enforcement personnel. When I do get my XDM I’m hoping to go that same route just doing more research hoping to get the compact with 10 round mags closest to OEM fit and function.

Ask them to ship it without mags and buy the 10 rounders. They’ll just sell them where they can. Our 10 round mag states make it difficult. It’s senseless but there has to be a legal work around

Ask them to ship it without mags and buy the 10 rounders. They’ll just sell them where they can. Our 10 round mag states make it difficult. It’s senseless but there has to be a legal work around
I'm still waiting for my permit, but that is one of the thoughts I had. I'd call the store and tell them I would pay the full price if they'd be willing to just ship the gun minus any mags. I could then remove the mag well and buy the SA 10 rd mags they have that fit this gun according to the link I posted above. Maybe I'll call one of the stores that have it and ask this week just to get a feeling how they would feel about doing this. Thank you for responding, I'm just hoping at some point they don't make things even more difficult.

Believe it or not SA makes them also ( https://store.springfield-armory.com/Shop/pc/XD-M-Compact-10-Round-Magazine-9mm-p1777.htm). The problem is I can't have the gun ordered because they won't ship a gun with 13-14 round mags to Connecticut. I'd imagine by your name you have the same issue. Any idea how to get around that ?

It wasn't an issue at all in NJ. Gun shops can have those super-duper spooky "HiGH cApAcItY" magazines but they cannot sell them. They ordered the gun with 20 round magazines and blocked them in accordance with state law before selling them to me.

You could try to find a shop on gunbroker that has one new, call them and ask them if they would either block them for you or just keep the magazines before shipping the gun to your FFL.

It wasn't an issue at all in NJ. Gun shops can have those super-duper spooky "HiGH cApAcItY" magazines but they cannot sell them. They ordered the gun with 20 round magazines and blocked them in accordance with state law before selling them to me.

You could try to find a shop on gunbroker that has one new, call them and ask them if they would either block them for you or just keep the magazines before shipping the gun to your FFL.
That's exactly what I'd like to do, if "and that for some reason may be a big if" my local gun shop will do it. In fact I'd take it with no mags and just order the 10 rd magazines on my own. It's such a perfect grip size for conceal carry. I'm sure I'm missing something, but I don't understand why they don't offer the 10 rds as an option especially with all the states here with their senseless 10 rd limits, and that number of states could grow.

After reading all the replies I'm surprised Springfield does not ship with a 10 round option. H&K, not the most customer friendly manufacturer has 10 round options for many of their handguns. In fact having trouble finding the 17 round VP9 here in SC I had to order the 10 round version and buy 17 round mags the opposite of your problem.

After reading all the replies I'm surprised Springfield does not ship with a 10 round option. H&K, not the most customer friendly manufacturer has 10 round options for many of their handguns. In fact having trouble finding the 17 round VP9 here in SC I had to order the 10 round version and buy 17 round mags the opposite of your problem.
The part that really gets to me is that this is all Unconstitutional and it doesn't seem like there's anything the average (majority) people can do to correct it...........After seeing your name, we almost moved to NC form Ct back in 2007 when I was first getting ready to retire. Had a down payment on a new home to be built then the financial market collapsed along with the stock market and the housing market here and then the eventual collapse of our move, so discouraging. So glad you made it !!

Last edited:
That's exactly what I'd like to do, if "and that for some reason may be a big if" my local gun shop will do it. In fact I'd take it with no mags and just order the 10 rd magazines on my own. It's such a perfect grip size for conceal carry. I'm sure I'm missing something, but I don't understand why they don't offer the 10 rds as an option especially with all the states here with their senseless 10 rd limits, and that number of states could grow.

A few months back I called springfield armory customer service to ask about this and I was told that it's being discussed but things are moving slower than usual with the whole covid thing.

A few months back I called springfield armory customer service to ask about this and I was told that it's being discussed but things are moving slower than usual with the whole covid thing.
WOW, at least you got to speak with someone who was informed of the issue, that alone impresses me. The companies and their customer service reps I deal with these days sometimes make me wonder if I called the right company. I'll ask a question and get a minute of dead silence to the point where I have to say "hello" just to make sure there're still there. I think when I get my license and ready to buy, I'll also call so they're aware it's a more wide spread issue then they might have thought. Thanks NJ for the information, I appreciate it.

Back