testtest

XDM Tactical OSP Plate Removal

Question, please:

I'm trying to remove the cover plate to install Plate 1 for my Vortex Venom sight.
The screws holding the plate are on there really tight. I don't want to damage the screws, or otherwise damage the gun and void my warranty. I'm guessing the screws are to be re-used for the new plate.
Oddly, there's no instructions or screw specificications on this, either in the manual, or with the plate I received from the factory.
Any suggestions are welcome!

Question, please:

I'm trying to remove the cover plate to install Plate 1 for my Vortex Venom sight.
The screws holding the plate are on there really tight. I don't want to damage the screws, or otherwise damage the gun and void my warranty. I'm guessing the screws are to be re-used for the new plate.
Oddly, there's no instructions or screw specificications on this, either in the manual, or with the plate I received from the factory.
Any suggestions are welcome!
Hi, welcome to the forum!
There's usually a bit of difference in OSP mounting procedures. But, many procedures are generalized or about the same.
Tools and fasteners used may vary. IMPORTANT: Be sure to use appropriate and correct tool for fastener used.

This video from XDMan may help:

Correct oversized tool is very important to get leverage.
Great video! My plate has three screws. Im not sure that it's because my gun is black and not FDE?
I bought a torque driver but none of the included hex bits is the correct size. I'm not sure it's not practical to take the slide to home depot to determine the correct bit or T handle driver : -).
Springfield Armory is a great company; I'm a tad confused that there's nothing in the XD-M manual that provides specs or part numbers for these tiny screws.
If you could provide more information I'll use what I've learned in the video to remove the plate and install my red dot sight (Vortex Venom).

Great video! My plate has three screws. Im not sure that it's because my gun is black and not FDE?
I bought a torque driver but none of the included hex bits is the correct size. I'm not sure it's not practical to take the slide to home depot to determine the correct bit or T handle driver : -).
Springfield Armory is a great company; I'm a tad confused that there's nothing in the XD-M manual that provides specs or part numbers for these tiny screws.
If you could provide more information I'll use what I've learned in the video to remove the plate and install my red dot sight (Vortex Venom).
If unsure of fastener size, you likely could take the lone slide with you in plastic bag discretely to local hardware store or as an alternative pick up a set of commonly used bit sets? Once correct type and size is known pick up a few spare singles? Different size and type bits come in handy for other tasks too. * Please use caution, may become another tool junky like me? :)

Most hex shank bits use same 1/4" size drive.
There are usually "bit kits" containing, covering multiple sized and type bits like this set for example:

I would buy a complete hex set and be done with it. Odds are you will need those tools again. Just make damn sure you are using the correct bit. If it's loose, it's not the right bit. Most likely they are torqued down to specs and possibly with thread locker. When re-installing screws on your new plate, torque to specs and use blue Loc-Tite, just a drop, on the threads of the screws.

Thanks for the reply. According to the video, it looks like blue loktite is used at the factory to hold those screws in place. I'll get my hex shank bits tomorrow, and I bought a torque driver to meet specs for the installation of my RDS.

One other little tip ...... if the old eyes are beginning to go south as many of ours are, be certain that you're working with a hex (Allen) bit if it's a Hex screw ............ and a torx bit if it's a Torx screw. The really little ones can look a lot like the other with poor eyesight.

Using the wrong bit for the screw will almost certainly strip out the socket unless they are a match, both in style and size. (y)(y)(y)

Hi, welcome to the forum!
There's usually a bit of difference in OSP mounting procedures. But, many procedures are generalized or about the same.
Tools and fasteners used may vary. IMPORTANT: Be sure to use appropriate and correct tool for fastener used.

This video from XDMan may help:
I'm pleased to report that I found this on the Vortex website:

Specs on the screws:
"#6-48 1/4" screw. Tighten to 12 in-Lb with loctite or 15 in-lb dry."

Vortex doesn't specify which loctite; I'm going to use blue. If I have trouble I'll report back after I try again with purple loctite.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to help me out! It's why law abiding gun owners are some of the best folk in the world! 🌎 👍👍💪

I'm pleased to report that I found this on the Vortex website:

Specs on the screws:
"#6-48 1/4" screw. Tighten to 12 in-Lb with loctite or 15 in-lb dry."

Vortex doesn't specify which loctite; I'm going to use blue. If I have trouble I'll report back after I try again with purple loctite.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to help me out! It's why law abiding gun owners are some of the best folk in the world! 🌎 👍👍💪
Blue is standard for gun stuff. Anything stronger will be a headache later and the blue will hold. I have 6 red dots ( including a Vortex Venom) held on with it and they're all solid AF. One is on a brutal 25 rd. shotgun that I have hammered it with literally a couple thousand times.

Back