testtest

XDS-9 chamber round issue

I have a 2013 XDS-9 3.3" barrel that since new has a pretty consistent malfunction. When inserting a mag and racking the slide to chamber the first round, the tip round gets wedged into the ramp entry to the barrel.

Anyone else experience this issue?

Attachments

• IMG_4409.jpg
    IMG_4409.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_4411.jpg
    IMG_4411.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 179
Does it do this with all rounds or just the ones like are in the picture? I may be wrong but it looks like you are trying to chamber the Hornady round with polemer tip. Some guns just don't get along with certain ammo.

My second question is , if you have had this firearm since 2013 and had this kind of trouble out of it , why haven't you contacted SA about it?

By the way , not trying to be mean , just trying to understand.

Yes sir you are correct its a Hornaday round with polymer tip. I've had the same issue occur at the range with Federal or PMC FMJ training rounds.

No excuses, it's all on me. Other carry options, 42 irons in the fire with work, projects, don't watch TV or movies always doing something with a car restoration or a house. Once and a blue moon I remember the issue then fail to follow getting distracted by something else. I'll take this as incentive to contact SA for help.

Thanks for taking the time to respond and bring a renewed focus to priorities.

It is unusual for FMJ to cause a problem but not unheard of. After loading a mag do you smack the back of the mag against your palm or your shoe to make sure the shell is sitting in the lip of the magazine where it should be and all shells are seated?
I have been fortunate in my almost 60 years of firearm ownership that I have never had this problem except once. I decided I wanted to run Remington Golden Sabre in my PF9 which had never caused me any trouble with any other ammo. Went to the range and it would fire two rounds then go click. Pull the mag and the first two rounds would be nose down in the mag. I'd pop the mag against my boot sole , the shells would pop back into place and again I would fire two rounds and have a click. Pull mag and have the same thing.

I thought something was wrong with the pistol so I put my regular carry ammo in it and it went bang every time. It just would not feed the Golden Sabre.

I get concerned when I hear about this type of issue with a new gun, even if it's now seven years later. I understand trying to find ways around a jam, like loading fewer rounds in the clip, trying different ammo, smacking the clip in, and so on. I'll give any gun the benefit of not tolerating one brand/type of ammo. Beyond that, it's a call/complaint to the manufacturer's customer service.

Every manufactured gun should/must be quality checked before it's sent out to the public. There is no excuse for poor quality control. I suspect your XDS-9 is likely made in Croatia. Curiously, it's the Springfield Croatian made guns that have had the better quality.

When it comes to guns, each should have been flawlessly designed, tested and made to perfection. When one is not, no matter how old it is, and as long as it's not related to usage, it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to make it right.

Get hold on Springfield's customer service and DEMAND that they make it right!

I get concerned when I hear about this type of issue with a new gun, even if it's now seven years later. I understand trying to find ways around a jam, like loading fewer rounds in the clip, trying different ammo, smacking the clip in, and so on. I'll give any gun the benefit of not tolerating one brand/type of ammo. Beyond that, it's a call/complaint to the manufacturer's customer service.

Every manufactured gun should/must be quality checked before it's sent out to the public. There is no excuse for poor quality control. I suspect your XDS-9 is likely made in Croatia. Curiously, it's the Springfield Croatian made guns that have had the better quality.

When it comes to guns, each should have been flawlessly designed, tested and made to perfection. When one is not, no matter how old it is, and as long as it's not related to usage, it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to make it right.

User error should be eliminated first before blaming the hardware...it’s the most common cause of issues.

You make a lot a valid points however that firearm uses a magazine to hold rounds not a “clip” the use of proper terminology would make your point more valid.

Well, excuse me. I guess maybe the word "clip" has become part of the "cancel" culture or maybe using it is not politically correct anymore. I picked up the habit from being in the army back in the Vietnam era, something most here have no clue about. Yeah, we used the term "CLIP" back then, so too bad.

When someone has a problem with a WEAPON ("gun" is NOT the "proper technology"), I tend to look first at the manufacturer, especially as the problem started since the weapon was first used. I have had the curious experience to know people (here in Geneseo) who actually do the machining on some of your Springfield's. That experience tells me to look at the weapon, FIRST, for the problem.

Talk about a group of nit-picking, know-it-alls. Now, one of you "moderators" can delete this because just like the left, you don't like words and opinions that differ from yours.

To borrow from Davey Crocket; you can all go to hell because I'm out of here. Bye ladies!

Well, excuse me. I guess maybe the word "clip" has become part of the "cancel" culture or maybe using it is not politically correct anymore. I picked up the habit from being in the army back in the Vietnam era, something most here have no clue about. Yeah, we used the term "CLIP" back then, so too bad.

When someone has a problem with a WEAPON ("gun" is NOT the "proper technology"), I tend to look first at the manufacturer, especially as the problem started since the weapon was first used. I have had the curious experience to know people (here in Geneseo) who actually do the machining on some of your Springfield's. That experience tells me to look at the weapon, FIRST, for the problem.

Talk about a group of nit-picking, know-it-alls. Now, one of you "moderators" can delete this because just like the left, you don't like words and opinions that differ from yours.

To borrow from Davey Crocket; you can all go to hell because I'm out of here. Bye ladies!
Before you go:

I doubt you know many folks who machine the XD’s...

They’re built in Croatia.

Buh-bye.

Well Hans, maybe you missed three little words on the weapon; "Springfield Armory" and "Geneseo". Yeah, it's made in Croatia. Even so, if you learned to read before you write I said "some of your Springfield's". Again, you prove my point. Of course, I defer to you because, after all, you're the "expert"!

I haven't tried anything special to get the rounds seated in the mag. I've paid particular attention to how the last exposed round sits in the neck of the mag before inserting. There are a couple items that seem unique to this firearm. If I insert a mag, load a round and then release the mag, the next round to be loaded is positioned 3 to 4 mm forward from its standard installed spot in the neck of the mag and it also at times seems the tip of the round makes contact on the mag channel as it comes out. Haven't had that experience with any other handgun.

After exhausting a mag or loading an empty weapon I've tried both the slide release to load, and hand actuated popping the slide back and releasing. The symptom doesn't seem to change.

The last two rounds in these mags are more difficult to load and position than other firearms. Hard to objectively tell if the mags are higher sprung than my other manufacturers hand guns. I need to do a better job on narrowing the issue as I believe but not entirely certain I've noted the issue on both the standard 7 round and larger 9 round mag. I'll also do some testing on a half loaded mag and see if I can repeat the issue.

I did disassemble, clean and lube the slider and the slider rails including the barrel ramp where the tip is getting stuck. Full mag load, using slide release to load, no issue currently. I've done this seven times now without issue. At the range it was about a 35% the load or get stuck. Mind you previous I've never lubed the barrel ramp.

I have called SA and left a VM asking for a return call to see if this is a previously reported issue or if they have any suggestions.

The responses have given me good ideas on how to narrow the issue, I'm appreciative of the help.

I haven't tried anything special to get the rounds seated in the mag. I've paid particular attention to how the last exposed round sits in the neck of the mag before inserting. There are a couple items that seem unique to this firearm. If I insert a mag, load a round and then release the mag, the next round to be loaded is positioned 3 to 4 mm forward from its standard installed spot in the neck of the mag and it also at times seems the tip of the round makes contact on the mag channel as it comes out. Haven't had that experience with any other handgun.

After exhausting a mag or loading an empty weapon I've tried both the slide release to load, and hand actuated popping the slide back and releasing. The symptom doesn't seem to change.

The last two rounds in these mags are more difficult to load and position than other firearms. Hard to objectively tell if the mags are higher sprung than my other manufacturers hand guns. I need to do a better job on narrowing the issue as I believe but not entirely certain I've noted the issue on both the standard 7 round and larger 9 round mag. I'll also do some testing on a half loaded mag and see if I can repeat the issue.

I did disassemble, clean and lube the slider and the slider rails including the barrel ramp where the tip is getting stuck. Full mag load, using slide release to load, no issue currently. I've done this seven times now without issue. At the range it was about a 35% the load or get stuck. Mind you previous I've never lubed the barrel ramp.

I have called SA and left a VM asking for a return call to see if this is a previously reported issue or if they have any suggestions.

The responses have given me good ideas on how to narrow the issue, I'm appreciative of the help.
Joe, try loading a magazine and let it set for a few days to help relax the mags spring, hopefully this may help some, I know on my S&W shield, I had to to the same thing I posted here cause the spring was way to firm, anyway, hope you and SA can get this figured out.

Are you using a wet lube/oil inside the mag? If so, that can cause issues...the oil gums up from residue quite quickly.

Get a dry film lube for magazines.

My XDs mags load exceedingly easily, last round goes in just as easily as the first, and that's on both the 7 and 8 rounders (9mm). I did stop using the polymer-tip Critical Duty ammo because of an occasional feed issue. I've been using Federal Guard Dog JHPs and have no issues with them, nor with my standard FMJ range ammo, no matter how fast I run a mag through the gun.

I would - as noted above - try some different ammo and perhaps give your feed ramp a good clean and polish. Also, next time you disassemble, place just the barrel (no slide) onto the frame and see how the feed ramp on the barrel, lines up with the one on the frame. It should be a seamless ramp, with no lip or notch.

giphy.gif

On my pistols once I chamber a round and drop my mag the next round will be out of position from how I/you loaded the mag. It’s normal. As the folks above posted good points try those. You said you are a type of handy man, it wouldn’t hurt to polish the feed ramp. It’s has been somewhat of an issue with the Hornady “Flex Tip” a synthetic insert. Try polishing the feed ramp. As Hans said he sure you don’t “ride the slide” when chambering a round. Rack it and let it go on its own power. Like Annihilator said, with new mags load em up and let em sit for a few days. I know you said you shot PMC through it with similar issues? If you do all that and still have issues I’d call SA customer service. YouTube polishing feed ramp.

Back