testtest

XDS Mod2 Apex trigger.

MATT071791

Operator
So I love Apex triggers. I have one In my hellcat and just put one in my wife’s XDS Mod2 9mm. I thought I would share my experience with this one. First thing I learned is the design of the XDS grip safety is much different than a full size XD/XDM. Instead of having a small shelf to block the sear, it uses a small metal arm. I assume this had to be because the XDS is much smaller. Anyway, got everything installed in about 15 minutes, function checked, all was good. Until… when the gun was laid and it’s left side and you picked it up and engaged the grip safety. Pulling the trigger would push the grip safety back into your hand and the gun would not fire. If you compare the grip safety springs between Apex and OEM, you see they are different. The Apex spring has a shorter leg and I think because of that when the gun is oriented on the left side that metal leg on the grip safety slides over and binds. Since the new spring has a shorter leg it doesn’t keep it from sliding over. Now you kinda had to purposely drop the gun on its left side or engage the safety while holding sideways to the left, but I got it to happen over a dozen times, and that didn’t sit well with me. So my fix? I did not want to put the old spring back in since the new one dropped my trigger weight from 6 to 5 pounds consistently. I simply removed the metal leg from the grip safety and it solved the problem. The grip safety is still under spring tension it’s just simply deactivated. Pretty much operates just like my hellcat now and of course still has the trigger safety. I saw on Apex’s install video in the comments someone said they had the same issue, and they installed the OEM spring and it went away, however it returned to the heavier trigger pull. I found it interesting in the design of the grip safety of the XDS that it uses that metal arm. But all the parts are smaller, the sear is smaller and therefore one could not be designed like the ones in the XD/XDM’s. And since the hellcat is even smaller and a little more narrow that hindered Springfield from trying to add a grip safety at all. But it performs flawlessly and breaks at 5 pounds. I guess its just the design of the Apex spring doesn’t want to cooperate sometimes with that safety leg, but it is an aftermarket part I’m putting, but my solution worked out great.

That’s really interesting. Have you contacted APEX to see what they would say? I know they really like feedback from their customers.

Back