testtest

Your most unusual use of any kind of firearm.

papadan

Master Class
We all do things, sometimes were proud of and sometimes not. Tell us your most unusual gun usage. If you didn't get caught...we wont tell.
I grew up in Louisville, KY. in the city. Every fall I found I could make Christmas money by selling mistletoe. Being in the city the only way to harvest it was my BB gun, Just shot down bunches and then took them door to door. Still can't shoot in the city so when my Son was 10, I took him out mistletoe hunting with my old Red Ryders. He made enough money that first year to buy his own Red Ryder. Starting in 2001, My Son, 2 Grandsons, and myself make the annual trip over to the East side of town and the 4 of us shoot mistletoe out of the trees with our Red Ryders. Only difference now is we all give it away instead of selling it. I started in 1966, my Son shot his first piece down in 1986, here we are in 2021 and I just missed my first time going because of medical problems. My Son and Grandsons brought me a bunch to my Hospital room and passed out pieces to all the Drs and nurses on Christmas Eve. 2020 was a rough year for all and hopefully me and my old RR will be out there in 2021.

-Used a .270 Wby Mag to take out a massive hornets nest about 75 yards from my stand. Nest was high up in a tree and about the size of a basketball. Shot the branch it was on twice and dropped it to the ground. Stayed in my stand varmint hunting for a long time to let them settle down.

- forgot my drill one day. Needed a hole punched in some metal for the deer stand and was a critical hole needed for a part. I was out in the field far away from the house. Used my .45 for the larger hole and my 9mm for the smaller hole. Worked like a champ. Hole was 1/4” off from where I wanted, but good enough for govt work 😉

I haven't been shooting much lately (ammo $$$), but I've been using my Hellcat (with Olight Baldr-mini tac light) as a flashlight quite a bit. I have a separate tactical flashlight, but it's always in the safe when I go to work, I don't want to carry THAT much stuff (in my slacks and office-wear) to my day job! But I'll get home, wander down the 1000' drive to the mailbox, or have to check fencing in the yard...it's easier just to pull the Hellcat out of the holster and use that. 4 acres, nobody's seen me waving a pistol around yet and called it in, so.... ;)

Wife person just reminded me. In 1982 we had a mouse issue in our house. Caught a bunch of them with traps. ONE mouse had a hole in a baseboard in our living room. I surrounded that hole with very touch y traps and waited. Watched him come and go 4 times jumping over the traps. I finally got my BL22, loaded it with a short and layed it across my lap while watching TV. Saw him out of the corner of my eye and got him in mid air jumping the traps. Wife person STILL has not forgiven or forgotten that one, even though I keep telling her it was only a short.

-Used a .270 Wby Mag to take out a massive hornets nest about 75 yards from my stand. Nest was high up in a tree and about the size of a basketball. Shot the branch it was on twice and dropped it to the ground. Stayed in my stand varmint hunting for a long time to let them settle down.

- forgot my drill one day. Needed a hole punched in some metal for the deer stand and was a critical hole needed for a part. I was out in the field far away from the house. Used my .45 for the larger hole and my 9mm for the smaller hole. Worked like a champ. Hole was 1/4” off from where I wanted, but good enough for govt work 😉
I watched a guy shoot a hornet's nest with a 30-06. The hornets followed the report from the rifle and before our ears were done ringing we were under attack. You got very lucky.

Shortly after we got married my ex-wife and I moved into an old farm house. The first winter we had BIG field mice invading us. I put out the old wooden , spring traps but the mice were big enough that they would just drag the traps till they hang the traps on something and get out. The traps didn't kill them. What was even worse was the durn critters would come out in the open in the living room while we were watching TV at night.

I had some plastic practice ammo for use inside. They were fired by a pistol primer. My ex didn't know I had them and I didn't say anything. Just went and got the plastic ammo and my Ruger .357 security-six. She looked at me and said you can't use that in here . About that time one of the mice came out to taunt us and I cut down on him. Made a heck of a mess but we got rid of those mice pretty quick.

I have also used shotgun to get dead limbs out of trees.

Years ago (2003) we (6 guys and two girls) started something by running our boats on the Illinois River and shooting Asian Carp when they jumped out the water using 7 1/2 shot. We did that for an entire weekend and vowed to do it the next year. :)

The next year the Illinois Department of Conservation officers were waiting for us. After a heart to heart, we left our shotguns behind and used baseball bats, dip nets and even tennis rackets. It was still fun, but not as much. :rolleyes:

In 2005 it became an organized event for charity known as the Redneck Fishing Tournament with hundreds of participants and far too many rules over the years. :(

I suffered an injury this summer where I fractured my Sacrum (bottom vertebrae just above the tailbone). Carrying a wallet in one back pocket, with the other back pocket empty, made me sit in an uneven manner and added pressure to the fracture. It turns out that a Ruger LCP II in a Sticky Holster is almost exactly the same width as my wallet. I started carrying my LCP II as a backup gun in my rear pocket, which actually relieved a lot of pain and helped with healing. I wanted to see if I could get my doctor to write me a prescription for a new gun, but I'm fairly certain that insurance won't cover carrying a gun for medicinal purposes.

Years ago (2003) we (6 guys and two girls) started something by running our boats on the Illinois River and shooting Asian Carp when they jumped out the water using 7 1/2 shot. We did that for an entire weekend and vowed to do it the next year. :)

The next year the Illinois Department of Conservation officers were waiting for us. After a heart to heart, we left our shotguns behind and used baseball bats, dip nets and even tennis rackets. It was still fun, but not as much. :rolleyes:

In 2005 it became an organized event for charity known as the Redneck Fishing Tournament with hundreds of participants and far too many rules over the years. :(

Years Ago.....2003! Would loved to have been with you, but 2003? Was that really YEARS ago? Just don't know what to make of todays children. :cool: ;)

Note to wmg1299, been there done......just took the wallet out of my pocket. :D:D:D:D

I suffered an injury this summer where I fractured my Sacrum (bottom vertebrae just above the tailbone). Carrying a wallet in one back pocket, with the other back pocket empty, made me sit in an uneven manner and added pressure to the fracture. It turns out that a Ruger LCP II in a Sticky Holster is almost exactly the same width as my wallet. I started carrying my LCP II as a backup gun in my rear pocket, which actually relieved a lot of pain and helped with healing. I wanted to see if I could get my doctor to write me a prescription for a new gun, but I'm fairly certain that insurance won't cover carrying a gun for medicinal purposes.

I've actually done this exact thing with my Ruger LCP in a Desantis Superfly holster, to even out things when sitting for a long time! ;)

I've actually done this exact thing with my Ruger LCP in a Desantis Superfly holster, to even out things when sitting for a long time! ;)
Just for fun, I'd like to collect the names of everyone who has used this trick. The next time any lawmaker tries to pass another restriction on guns, we can all file a class action suit claiming that it violates our rights under the Americans With Disabilities Act. We might not win, but I bet it would surprise all of the anti-2A crowd. We could really throw them off by asking, "Senator, why exactly do you hate people with disabilities?", every time they call for "Common Sense Gun Regulations".

Your not that young Keystone19250, bound to have done something on a hunting trip or somewhere.
Never hunted and not any type of guns were allowed in the home I grew up in.
Even during my 15 years working at Marlin Firearms never owned a gun. Didn’t buy my first handgun until I moved to Texas while working for Mossberg.

Back