testtest

Youtube Torture Tests

wmg1299

Professional
I've been snowed in and have been killing some of my time watching Youtube reviews of guns I'm thinking of buying. It seems like every fourth or fifth video always includes some sort of torture test. While some of these videos are entertaining, I can't ever picture any of my guns ever being exposed to anything close to what is featured in some of these videos.

I'll admit that the videos are kind of fun, but I wonder how many people actually rely on these videos to make buying decisions. I like to know that my gun will work if it somehow gets a little wet or dirty, but some of these tests are insane. Has anyone here ever been convinced to buy a gun, or convinced no to buy a gun, based on the results of a torture test?

Well I’ll preface this by saying I already had two of them and had abused one pretty hard but the torture test on YT for the Romeo 5 was a good indication that buying my 3rd was a good buy. It withstood being thrown high in the air and hitting the ground about ten times, being frozen solid in a block of ice and being shot with a 12 gauge. Still worked and was still zero’d.

Hell...I've never been influenced to buy a firearm by ANY video...a ”torture test” video is just plain stupid.

I get why manufacturers do a “torture test”, particularly for .gov or .mil contracts...but when Bubba Dimwit starts beating on whatever just to prove a point?

You've lost me.

I gotta say—I'm really glad I formed my opinions on firearms before YouTube could tell me I was wrong.

In my way of thinking, my mind, or what's left of it, is already made up before watching YouTube. While doing research or just plain surfing do run across a few half way decent and relevant video's and their possible perspectives. Never really been swayed on original thoughts or choices. But, do pick up some other methods of doing whatever.

Am not really into abuse, much is senseless. Have generally taken care of most things. Have 1st tools from over 50 years ago. Regardless, YouTube can be still informative on what some things can, can't do, take or endure while being somewhat entertained.

Thing really don't care for on YouTube and why wouldn't totally if ever rely on is how they can and do sway your original video choices and search. To avoid that, simply back up or cut and paste original search words into search box. Rinse and repeat as needed.

Yeah, I don’t go to YouTube for torture test. I’m not in the sand or dust. I will watch Hikcok45 on several firearms. I also like Demolition Ranch because he is a trip. I know what my intended purpose is for said firearm and it’s not what these guys on YouTube do.

I've never seen a torture test for a gun. Just accessories. Where I can see they would be at least somewhat informative. I mean it's nice to know my red dots are actually waterproof and will perform frozen solid in a block of ice and will withstand being dropped hard several times and shot with a 12 gauge. It's not like I am going to do any of that, but it's nice to know it will take the abuse.

I've never seen a torture test for a gun. Just accessories. Where I can see they would be at least somewhat informative. I mean it's nice to know my red dots are actually waterproof and will perform frozen solid in a block of ice and will withstand being dropped hard several times and shot with a 12 gauge. It's not like I am going to do any of that, but it's nice to know it will take the abuse.
I can see torture tests being useful when buying optics/scopes, especially tests to see how well they hold zero. The tests I have seen for optics seem more realistic than the ones for guns. There is a legitimate chance that my optic will be exposed to water or dropped, and I like tests that reasonably replicate those scenarios.

I can appreciate tests where they fire 1000 rounds through a gun without cleaning it, because I like to see what kind of wear a gun will show after an amount of rounds that I am likely to fire (not in one session, but eventually). The torture tests where they mag-dump 5000 rounds, leave a gun in a creek overnight, then run over it with a truck are kinda fun, but I can't see ever basing my purchasing decision on one of these tests.

I can see torture tests being useful when buying optics/scopes, especially tests to see how well they hold zero. The tests I have seen for optics seem more realistic than the ones for guns. There is a legitimate chance that my optic will be exposed to water or dropped, and I like tests that reasonably replicate those scenarios.

I can appreciate tests where they fire 1000 rounds through a gun without cleaning it, because I like to see what kind of wear a gun will show after an amount of rounds that I am likely to fire (not in one session, but eventually). The torture tests where they mag-dump 5000 rounds, leave a gun in a creek overnight, then run over it with a truck are kinda fun, but I can't see ever basing my purchasing decision on one of these tests.

I've never seen a gun torture test. Usually I buy guns either based on other people I know's experience, for specific tasks/situations, company reputation and my own internet research. Then I've never bought anything because of a video. It was nice to know the product I had already bought was durable though.

I've been snowed in and have been killing some of my time watching Youtube reviews of guns I'm thinking of buying. It seems like every fourth or fifth video always includes some sort of torture test. While some of these videos are entertaining, I can't ever picture any of my guns ever being exposed to anything close to what is featured in some of these videos.

I'll admit that the videos are kind of fun, but I wonder how many people actually rely on these videos to make buying decisions. I like to know that my gun will work if it somehow gets a little wet or dirty, but some of these tests are insane. Has anyone here ever been convinced to buy a gun, or convinced no to buy a gun, based on the results of a torture test?
Yeah, torture tests are entertaining, but not real world at all.

Allegedly the M&P Sport II upper, with am M4 lower and bolt carrier survived over 800 rounds in full auto before the gas block combusted and quit, entertaining and maybe a sign of a well made gun. But what value did that really give to anyone about the gun? Maybe the peace of mind that a semiautomatic gun that can survive that long in full auto will never burn out from basic use but that's about it.

I was happy to see some A-holes torture tests on the Hi-Point C9. I have one my Son bought for me, it shoots straight and anything I shove in it as ammo types. This YT guy flat out hates Hi-points but doesn't say why, he did everything he could to damage them and prove they are junk. The C9s just kept going. The A-hole finally lined up several of them and shot them with a FMJ 50 caliber, Only the first one had enough damage to prevent operation. A-hole gave up.

Just a note in support of YT videos > as a first time hand gun purchaser I found the 50 or so vid's I watched helpful in learning about different guns and their respective attributes. I agree torture testing is far out on the usage fringe and not relevant to 98% of owners >> IMHO

Back