testtest

Zeroing red dot for left eye right handed

Oldlady

Alpha
Hi
I’m left eye dominant but right handed. I’ve been shooting left handed left eyed or right handed right eyed. I’m still working out which is better for me, but then the nice man at the gun store showed me a holosun that was on special and I couldn’t not get it. My question is, since I’m going to start shooting with both eyes open, will it matter if I shoot left or right handed? My left eye will still be dominant but I expect my right hand to be stronger. I don’t have my plate yet so I haven’t installed it. Do I just pick a side and that’s the hand I need to always use?

I used to shoot left handed, but stopped shooting handguns that way due to a bad wrist. I shoot RH with both eyes and nothing changes when shooting this way. Sighting hasn't changed as I shoot with both eyes open and change what I focus on. If you focus on the sights then it will have a slight shift on point of impact (at least what I've observed). Find what works best for you.

My question is, since I’m going to start shooting with both eyes open, will it matter if I shoot left or right handed? My left eye will still be dominant but I expect my right hand to be stronger. I don’t have my plate yet so I haven’t installed it. Do I just pick a side and that’s the hand I need to always use?
No. Zero the dot with both eyes open and then just put the dot where it needs to be when you are shooting.

The red dot essentially negates the issues with cross-dominance. I'm surprised this benefit isn't talked about more. No need to tilt your head, or the gun or any of the other tricks normally used to compensate for cross-dominance. Just look at the target head on and shoot.

Hi
I’m left eye dominant but right handed. I’ve been shooting left handed left eyed or right handed right eyed. I’m still working out which is better for me, but then the nice man at the gun store showed me a holosun that was on special and I couldn’t not get it. My question is, since I’m going to start shooting with both eyes open, will it matter if I shoot left or right handed? My left eye will still be dominant but I expect my right hand to be stronger. I don’t have my plate yet so I haven’t installed it. Do I just pick a side and that’s the hand I need to always use?
Welcome to the forum.

I think your overthinking this, shoot with the strongest hand and use the most comfortable eye for POA
What’s important is if you shoot RH and use your left eye to aim work to build muscle memory as you bring your gun up to aim.

Thanks everyone. I can hardly wait for my plate to get here.
You don't need to worry about cross eye dominance at all with a red dot. Or a scope for that matter. I am cross eye dominant. I shoot handguns right handed but I line the sights up with my left eye and shoot with both eyes open. A rifle with iron sights or a shotgun with bead sights, shoot lefty if you are left eye dominant, righty if you are right eye dominant. Anything with a red dot, shoot both eyes open and shoot with whichever hand you want. Makes no difference since you are zero'ing the optic to your sight picture.

Back