testtest

The Ultimate Hog Hammer?

It is a capable cartridge, but it's like the 22 caliber and those trying too build a better one. It is more a rage or fad. I have killed more than a 100 with a 556 @ 55fmj, so I don't see what the big deal other than advertising! Since the late '70s the hog numbers have increased. My dad had a helicopter that we hunted coyotes and hogs by. Hogs can destroy fence like no other. For those that say a 556 won't or can't kill a hog I can say otherwise!

It is a capable cartridge, but it's like the 22 caliber and those trying too build a better one. It is more a rage or fad. I have killed more than a 100 with a 556 @ 55fmj, so I don't see what the big deal other than advertising! Since the late '70s the hog numbers have increased. My dad had a helicopter that we hunted coyotes and hogs by. Hogs can destroy fence like no other. For those that say a 556 won't or can't kill a hog I can say otherwise!
I wouldnt say its a fad, its here to stay. At 200yd a subsonic 220gr has the energy a 9mm has from the muzzle. Coming from a 9 inch barrel I would say that justifies it. Like you said, its all about placement.
Im sure an Aguilla SSS 22LR would also do the trick.

I wish I could remember the writer was hunting deer with a Ruger Pocket Rifle. He was explaining how the shots had to be placed in or near the ear. The 60 gr projectile would deform and tumble. I wish I could remember where i saw it, but this was quite a while back now.

Last edited:
I wouldnt say its a fad, its here to stay. At 200yd a subsonic 220gr has the energy a 9mm has from the muzzle. Coming from a 9 inch barrel I would say that justifies it. Like you said, its all about placement.
Im sure an Aguilla SSS 22LR would also do the trick.
That would be tough, but 22 mag, preferably fmj as they are thick! A 22lr hp I don't thnk it would do the trick!

That would be tough, but 22 mag, preferably fmj as they are thick! A 22lr hp I don't thnk it would do the trick!
Absolutley, ear shots. Would not recommend it unless a life depended on it, and if one missed it would probably become a life or death situation. 20200203_004142.jpg

Last edited:
Great article Mike and what a good looking gun! I've really come to appreciate the .300Blk for it's hard hitting, soft recoil, mag capacity, & suppressor potential.
Glad you all enjoyed it. Working on prepping the next few articles for the site right now. Got a little behind while I was out at SHOT, but catching up now.

How does the .300 Blackout compare to a .308? I've always been of the understanding that a .45/70 would be a good choice for a big pig but I've never hunted them. Am I mistaken?

How does the .300 Blackout compare to a .308? I've always been of the understanding that a .45/70 would be a good choice for a big pig but I've never hunted them. Am I mistaken?
It's all good as I have killed several with a lesser caliber!

Back