testtest

Academy Sports

I quit buying anything gun related from WalMart when they decided to quit selling handgun and rifle ammo. I wouldn't buy anything from them ever but I can't seem to get my wife to quit grocery shopping there. And she gets a lot of our basic clothing there. Every time I bring it up she says something along the lines of " Fine, you do the shopping and drive to 4 different places to get what we need while paying 20% more for it all". She doesn't go in much for my personal boycotts. I had to threaten to have my direct deposit rerouted to get her to finally agree to tell BOA to F off. She's a kayaker and she wanted to go see what they had at Dicks. I told her if she ever bought anything from Dicks I was leaving her.

I am a shotgun junkie though and I am 100% out of range fodder. Might run up to WalMart I guess. Effin' WalMart. They're going to take over the world with their Chinese crap.
"She's a kayaker and she wanted to go see what they had at Dicks."

If I ever break my kayak paddle, and Dick's was the last place on earth to have one available, I'd try whittling myself a new one from a warped 2x4 before I'd go to Dick's. Online accessories/parts available through YakAttack, YakGear or Austin Kayak. I've ord'd from all of them with no problems.

Last edited:
Prices are coming down again in most areas but are still overpriced in my opinion.

I wonder what the new normal will be.

We saw a reset after the last shortage in the early-teens, with prices coming down to near-pre-craze. This time, with it being so pervasive and now with so many more gun-owners (whether these new owners turns-out a significant enough portion of true shooters is a question that I've pondered) - and with so many of us well-stocked (given the lessons of the last craze) shooters saving our money to make large purchases once supplies have normalized (not just price, as the QA/QC dip of these shortage periods is something that's worth taking note of)...I wonder if that return-to-norm may actually see significant increases in pricing.

I wonder what the new normal will be.

We saw a reset after the last shortage in the early-teens, with prices coming down to near-pre-craze. This time, with it being so pervasive and now with so many more gun-owners (whether these new owners turns-out a significant enough portion of true shooters is a question that I've pondered) - and with so many of us well-stocked (given the lessons of the last craze) shooters saving our money to make large purchases once supplies have normalized (not just price, as the QA/QC dip of these shortage periods is something that's worth taking note of)...I wonder if that return-to-norm may actually see significant increases in pricing.
Could easily go a few different ways right now. The way you mentioned of pre covid days and a few others. The one scenario am hoping for is where there's many more people appreciating, enjoying and reasoning behind our 2nd Amendment Rights, where it, proper education and firearms becomes much more common place and not such a rarity. On ammo availability, there's at least one new ammo plant have heard of being constructed so far, so ammo availability should continue to increase unless something more dramatic happens.

Mrs Tinyman and I hit our local Academy -- limit 4 boxes per customer per day. She got 4 (200 round) boxes of range .380 and I got 4 (200 round) boxes of .45 -- left the rest for others. We simply hate horders -- shoot and get more -- it's hard to keep track of expiration dates anyway.

Have you shot any of the Monarch ? I thought about trying it, but the recent proliferation of all these crappy shells like Estate and Rio and a bunch of other **** I never heard of has me pretty much not trusting any of them.
I did a sad reply, because the monarch I bought had a coating on it similar to the 5.7 cases. I've never had so many fte/ftf problems before (s&w 9core 5") and that gun runs great. It gave me more problems than the amt hardballer 45acp. Those came from academy via ups (I think it was a 900 round case). Maybe these other monarch aren't that way?

Have you shot any of the Monarch ? I thought about trying it, but the recent proliferation of all these crappy shells like Estate and Rio and a bunch of other **** I never heard of has me pretty much not trusting any of them.
I ran a few 00 Buck shells through my HD shotgun to teach my boys how to use a pumpgun. They ran flawlessly, but we only fired one 25-round box, so my opinion is based on a small sample size.

While I haven't fired too many of the Monarch shotgun shells, I have fired a good amount of their brass pistol rounds and steel 7.62x39. The brass pistol rounds run great, especially in .380 ACP. A few of my .380's tend to be ammo-picky, but the Monarch FMJ runs without issue. The big surprise was that the .380 Monarch JHP rounds, which come in boxes of 50 and sell for just $3 more than an FMJ box, run more reliably than the high-end stuff that costs twice as much.

7.62x39 is the only steel-cased rifle ammo I feed any of my guns. The Monarch Steel 7.62 is reliable and runs a bit cleaner than the Red Army Standard/Century Arms stuff. I did a little digging, and learned that Academy buys the majority of their 7.62 ammo from Barnaul, making this one of the few times when the store brand is actually better than a lot of name-brand stuff.

So prior to this morning I had been in an Academy Sports store twice. Both times the ammo shelves were bare, they had a few handguns behind the counter and a bunch of empty slots where AR accessories used to be. Thursday at work a guy tells me he was in there about 1 PM and they had every kind of ammo you could imagine and in large quantities. So this morning I go in there just to see and they have a decent amount of ammo, but it's clear that the most popular stuff had been selling very well as the spots for them were empty. They did have a bunch of Aluminum case 115 gr. Blazer for $14.99/box. I spotted the last 4 boxes of 124 gr. Blazer Brass at $17.99/box and grabbed them. Handgun and rifle ammo is a 4 box limit and shotshells are 10 box limit. Their prices on shotgun shells were higher than I was gonna pay though. $10 for a box of #8. They had plenty of 5 round boxes of slugs and buck around $7 each, but it was almost all off brand stuff. Estate, Rio, some other crap no one ever heard of.

Anyway, this was about 10 AM this morning and I had heard the key to getting ammo from Academy was being there early on Friday and Monday mornings. So while the prices are still too high, the shelves aren't emptying as fast as they had been. I wasn't real happy about paying $18/box for 9mm, but the place I normally get it for $16 only rarely has 124 gr.
Off brand maybe, but maybe maybe not in some ways?
Still, different standard ammo can be made by many companies large or small? By larger or smaller companies subbing out at different standards for other companies too? Explosives are explosives?

Estate:
Is part of huge conglomerate Vista Outdoors that also owns Federal and a few other companies like Eagle. ATK - Alliant Techsystems Inc. is the parent company of Vista Outdoors as well as others. Aerospace companies are also part of their holdings. Reading the article below may help explain other things? Huge is almost an understatement?

Rio:
Is another ammo manufacturer that may lead to some surprises like parent company MAXAM that's been in business for many years?

Monarch:
Not sure, possibly a store brand? Not much info found or known about it's ammo.

Off brand maybe, but maybe maybe not in some ways?
Still, different standard ammo can be made by many companies large or small? By larger or smaller companies subbing out at different standards for other companies too? Explosives are explosives?

Estate:
Is part of huge conglomerate Vista Outdoors that also owns Federal and a few other companies like Eagle. ATK - Alliant Techsystems Inc. is the parent company of Vista Outdoors as well as others. Aerospace companies are also part of their holdings. Reading the article below may help explain other things? Huge is almost an understatement?

Rio:
Is another ammo manufacturer that may lead to some surprises like parent company MAXAM that's been in business for many years?

Monarch:
Not sure, possibly a store brand? Not much info found or known about it's ammo.
Monarch is manufactured in Russia for Academy.

Walmart is a great place to get shotgun shells, when they have them in stock. They are a lot cheaper there than at other places. Also, Walmart has lots of good accessories, such as gun cleaning supplies.
I fully understand what you're saying Jimbo, and this is certainly no knock on your post, but I have a really hard time buying anything from Walmart, must less gun cleaning supplies and accessories since they won't sell me the guns I need to clean. I'll admit the family will occasionally still buy a few things from there, but it's very limited.

I hate these corporate 'sell outs' that will cater to the PC police, the far left progressives, the cancel culture, and so many other idiotic and asinine groups that are ever so slowly killing this great country.

I’ve bought and shot a lot of steel case Monarch from Academy during the shortage. Bought and shot through my Saint Victor pistol, my Hellcat and my Springfield 911 .380. Never had a problem with it in any of those 3 firearms. Seemed to be available more than brass case and less expensive. As long as it shoots and doesn’t jam my guns, I’ll use it for practice.

I quit buying anything gun related from WalMart when they decided to quit selling handgun and rifle ammo. I wouldn't buy anything from them ever but I can't seem to get my wife to quit grocery shopping there. And she gets a lot of our basic clothing there. Every time I bring it up she says something along the lines of " Fine, you do the shopping and drive to 4 different places to get what we need while paying 20% more for it all". She doesn't go in much for my personal boycotts. I had to threaten to have my direct deposit rerouted to get her to finally agree to tell BOA to F off. She's a kayaker and she wanted to go see what they had at Dicks. I told her if she ever bought anything from Dicks I was leaving her.

I am a shotgun junkie though and I am 100% out of range fodder. Might run up to WalMart I guess. Effin' WalMart. They're going to take over the world with their Chinese crap.
You can get a few different rifles at Walmart, as well as some rifle ammo.

I avoid wallyworld as much as can, but sometimes depending on what it is still go if something needed isn't available elsewhere.....and if there's firearms or ammo involved at any place usually at least look while there looking for something else. :)
They generally have a few long guns around where going at average prices, but as far as ammo, usually nothing. A very occasional box of 12 ga. or .22LR at average prices is about it as far as what's seen. Nothing special there.

Yeah I know. What you can't get is any 5.56, 300BLK or any other AR ammo or handgun ammo. When WalMart made the announcement they would no longer be carrying that stuff ( after whatever shooting it was) I decided I wouldn't be buying any other sporting goods or firearms related stuff from them. Frankly I'm shocked anyone does. I'd go to Cheaper Than Dirt first and that's saying something.

I did NOT go to WalMart today and look for shotgun ammo. Instead I went to 2 more LGS, neither of whom had anything I wanted at a price I was willing to pay for it. Then I went back to the Farm and Home and paid $8/box for Winchester Target crap.

Back