testtest

What Is the Maximum Effective Range of .308?

I don't necessarily agree with the author
A friend of mine has routinely made one shot kills on whitetails at 400 to 500 yds for years. Mu own Remington 700 308 although it is a target rifle will consistently print 3 shot 3 inch groups at 500 meters (550 yds) if I do my part using Black Hills 168 gr BTHPT

I don’t think the author is claiming YOU can’t make a kill shot at 500 yards. I think he’s saying for most people who deer hunt a 500 yard shot with a .308 is unethical because most people shoot their deer rifle once or twice a year when checking their zero and when hunting.

I don’t think the author is claiming YOU can’t make a kill shot at 500 yards. I think he’s saying for most people who deer hunt a 500 yard shot with a .308 is unethical because most people shoot their deer rifle once or twice a year when checking their zero and when hunting.
This !
.308 can do it easily.

My LEO hunting buddy can hit dime size patterns at 400 -500 yards. He has the scope and the skill. He routinely takes hogs at long, long range with a .308

I on the other hand am not that proficient, like the author notes in the article, and I personally stay under 250 yards.

its knowing your skillset

+1.

Thnx Mike. The .308 effective range well out distances my abilities.
This !
.308 can do it easily.

My LEO hunting buddy can hit dime size patterns at 400 -500 yards. He has the scope and the skill. He routinely takes hogs at long, long range with a .308

I on the other hand am not that proficient, like the author notes in the article, and I personally stay under 250 yards.

its knowing your skillset
That's saying it like it really is! My skill set is the same as yours.

I think im gonna stay away from the AR Platform for my next .308.

Either gonna go standard or Loaded M1A in Walnut.

That's fine.

I have M1As also. They're fine as a DMR and for CMP Match shooting, but the AR-10 configuration is superior in several ways as a battle rifle.

While you've had a bad experience with the Victor, other manufacturers of AR-10 platforms have been designed and put together their interpretations better than what SA has done.

That's fine.

I have M1As also. They're fine as a DMR and for CMP Match shooting, but the AR-10 configuration is superior in several ways as a battle rifle.

While you've had a bad experience with the Victor, other manufacturers of AR-10 platforms have been designed and put together their interpretations better than what SA has done.

I will keep that in mind. While I was strongly thinking M1A, nothing is set in stone. Gonna do alot of research before buying the next one.

I have one AR10 and two M1As. One can extrapolate my preference based on those numbers.

Attachments

• 0D944881-0549-4B6C-BCF0-F5EF4550136F.jpeg
    0D944881-0549-4B6C-BCF0-F5EF4550136F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 225
Back