testtest

Do earbuds work in an indoor range?

I bought a pair of Ghost Stryke Extreme ear buds about three months ago. the first set I received had a faulty right ear bud. It crackled very badly and seemed to make the whole system not work very well. Customer service was actually very good, after I called them, they shipped out a new pair and I was able to ship the defective ones back at no cost. The new pair I received have performed pretty well. I tried out the new pair for the first time last weekend while breaking in my Beretta APX. There were a couple of other shooters right beside me at an indoor range. I turned the sound settings down to setting one and was able to shoot relatively comfortably. When I turned off the sound completely, the noise suppression was pretty good. They're supposed to cut out at a certain sound level and I think the delay may be a bit too slow. On the lowest setting you can still talk to someone beside you and the noise cancellation works, but at any higher setting than 1, I think there are four settings, they seem to start enhancing the sound of the gun shots, which is exactly the opposite of what you want. The memory foam that comes with the ear buds is very comfortable and once you get the ear buds shaped like you want them, they stay on your ears very well without having to constantly adjust them. It was nice not having the oversized ear muffs to deal with, the Ghost Stryke ones are very comfortable. I didn't really buy them for the Bluetooth feature but it's nominal. Not too loud, not too soft, they seemed to stay connected when I connected them to my phone.

One thing I have not tried them out on yet is the indoor rifle range at my local gun store that I use. I would most likely not even bother using the noise cancellation feature on the indoor rifle range, I think even at setting 1 the loud report of an AR15 would not be comfortable using the Ghost Stryke ear buds, but for indoor pistol use, they are acceptable and do the job they were intended to do. I was expecting a bit more noise suppression for how expensive they are, but I do think these were meant to be used primarily outdoors. I have not had a chance to shoot outdoors with them, but I did wear them outside and they amplified ambient noises very well, crickets, dogs barking, etc.

All in all, I think I'll keep using them. I want to try and take my rifle next time and see if I can tolerate using just the ear buds for a couple of shots but I have a feeling I'll need to double up or use my electronic ear muffs when shooting my AR. Anyway, that's my two cents.

I would not trust my hearing to those tiny earbuds on an indoor range. The concrete walls reflect and amplifies the shot sound so much!
IMO those small ones are meant for outdoor use. Their specs are about:
  • 22 dB NRR with Silicone Tips
  • 29 dB NRR with Foam Tips
Of course if you insisting using them, in time the ear will become deaf so they will be seem to be "working" too.

Inside the range I use electronic earmufs, with fast reaction time and min 30dB NRR.
I even add a pair of normal plugs and turn the electronic volume a bit higher, this way I can still hear people talking but attenuate the shots even more.

Last edited:
Thanks for your quick response. The range that I use allows rifles, shotguns, etc., so I'm beginning to think that my quest for relatively inexpensive earbuds that will do the trick. is both naive and futile.
I'll keep trying, but it looks like my earmuffs are here to stay.
Thanks, again.
~ JB

IF someone is using something really loud I will use the foam plugs under ear muffs.
I used these from Amazon but the center came out and stuck in my ear.

Titan Tactical 29NRR Reusable Shooting Ear Plugs w/Removable Noise Filter + Heavy Duty Aluminum Case (for Normal + Small Ear Canals) (Orange)

These would not stay in:
SureFire EP4 Sonic Defenders Plus

I wanted to be able to listen to music when I was alone so I tried earbuds and they didnt do well.
I use the: Sound Amplification Electronic Shooting Earmuff, Green
https://smile.amazon.com/stores/page/BFF5A13B-1E31-48FB-B413-2D2F69D8765F they pick up the music playing from my phone while I shoot.

I would not trust my hearing to those tiny earbuds on an indoor range. The concrete walls reflect and amplifies the shot sound so much!
IMO those small ones are meant for outdoor use. Their specs are about:
  • 22 dB NRR with Silicone Tips
  • 29 dB NRR with Foam Tips
Of course if you insisting using them, in time the ear will become deaf so they will be seem to be "working" too.

Inside the range I use electronic earmufs, with fast reaction time and min 30dB NRR.
I even add a pair of normal plugs and turn the electronic volume a bit higher, this way I can still hear people talking but attenuate the shots even more.
Which ones do you use SoNic? I'm in the market (as usual).

I’ve looked into this myself and I don’t believe that there is a single set of earbuds that will give you the protection you need in an indoor range setting. The important thing to remember is that hearing damage is cumulative and irreversible. It’s not worth the risk.
I wear electronic earmuffs with molded ear plugs under them.

I wear electronic earmuffs with molded ear plugs under them.
Same here. I made the mistake once to try to pull out one of the muffs, to see how loud my shot would sound indoors, and OMG, I though I lost that eardrum!
And I had shot outdoors AK47 and in military 75mm AA guns without any muffs, I felt that nothing was that loud!

I have bought two different sets and both are similar in performance. 30dB NRR.

Last edited:
Same here. I made the mistake once to try to pull out one of the muffs, to see how loud my shot would sound indoors, and OMG, I though I lost that eardrum!
And I had shot outdoors AK47 and in military 75mm AA guns without any muffs, I felt that nothing was that loud!

I have bought two different sets and both are similar in performance. 30dB NRR.
Well, the consensus is pretty much what I feared. Earbuds do not provide sufficient noise protection for an indoor range! Since I'm almost 73 years old, I do want to protect the little hearing that I have left (LOL)!
I actually already have noise cancelling earmuffs that work well, but when I shoot my rifle, the stock tends to push the ear muffs off my ears. I'll have to deal with it.
Thanks for all of your responses.
~ JB

image.jpg
Yea I just got these but I not going to use them alone I am still going to use my walkers ear muffs indoor range is way to loud to trust those little things

I have the same problem with my earmuffs hitting my stock. I fear this has nothing to do with rifle or ear muffs, but rather the circumference of our noggins!

We required police recruits to double up with ear plugs and muffs when they shot on an indoor range. I used just my Walker game ear electronic muffs and they worked very well. That allowed me to hear what was going on and supervise the recruits

The Otto NoizeBarrier Micro, paired with 3M/Peltor's Skull Screw Communication Tips, are currently all the rage with range-rats.

I haven't tried out the pairing, yet, but I do trust the report of those who have. It's not an inexpensive combo, though - enough that I'm debating between these and the $1K-ish custom-molded in-ears for my next set.

I've put forth what little I know about earpro before, but I'll give it another go, here, and try to tailor it a bit more specifically towards the OP. :)

The biggest issues with in-ear protection (i.e. "ear plugs") is that what we insert into our ear canal will displace with normal facial movements. Every once in a while, you will have to readjust those plugs. Plugs that are designed with an outside-the-canal, molded (either custom-to-ear or more generic fitment, like those seen on the Surefire EP-series of in-ear hearing protection) "stay" can help keep the in-canal portion in-place a little better, for some folks.

In-reality, simple -albeit good quality- "foamies" sold for a quarter or 50-cents in those grab-jars on the registration counter of your favorite range actually do a very, very good job at noise-suppression. You'll find that some of the highest NRR numbers are had with in-ear protection, properly worn.

But "properly worn" is the key here. Be sure you have properly installed your plugs to begin with (Honeywell's [makers of the Howard Leight] website has a good guide in .pdf format), and further, realize that your jaw/facial movements (be it talking or even just swallowing - or chewing gum) can cause the plugs to displace to the point where they are less protective or even not protective at all. Take breaks to re-install the plugs as-necessary. Similarly, while some types of plugs can be re-used (even those cheap "foamies" can, to an extent), they all have finite lifespans.

[ Note that the "lifespan" comment is only intended to be reflective of various disposable single-use or multi-use plugs. This does not apply to various custom-in-ear devices. ]

Same with over-the-ear devices. You absolutely have to be sure that you're wearing "earmuffs" properly: gaps due to your head size/shape, ear size/shape, jawline, hair, and even the temples of your eye-protection can all drastically lower the protective capabilities of even the best over-the-ear muffs.

The noise-reduction rating numbers (NRR) might seem like the way to work at this problem, but it's not, and it's because of this "properly worn" issue. Similarly, it's not additive in a straightforward manner.

It's not quite as objective as it should be, and quite a bit of the blame for this actually rests on us, the end-users. Much of how well any particular over-the-ear muffs works is related to the simple fit of the ear cups over your ears, and that can be affected by everything from how well the cups' padding conforms to your ear/head, to how well the headband(s) adjust to fit your head, to how the cups' seal may be affected by your eye-protection.

And for those who shoot more dynamically than just at a stand-still-in-the-stall range environment, there's also how well the muffs stay on your head/ears as you start doing more crazy stuff. Yawning, talking and chewing will each displace those in-ear plug little-by-little, and over-the-ear protection may be immune to that: but quickly drop your head to one side, and those over-the-ear muffs are much more likely to come flying off or simply become displaced, versus in-ear plugs. ;)

Generally, the larger the ear cups, the more sound insulation can be stuffed in there, and the higher the noise reduction rating. The problem with the bigger cups come with unique shooter's anatomy/shooting style - some may find that their rolled-up/in shoulders during pistol shooting to cause interference with the larger cups; some may not be able to properly cheek their long-guns. This is why some cups may be relieved towards the bottom outer edges (i.e. certain ProEar Gold models - and @cico7 , I'll get to this more specifically in just a bit) and is also a reason why some shooters choose slimmer-profile cups (such as those of the ubiquitous Howard Leight Impact Sport or cool-guy gear like the Sordin/MSR).

With the slimmer cups typically come less insulation material and lower NRRs. So what do you do, if you feel that the gunshots come through too much? simple - "double up" with a pair of earplugs under the muffs. :)

Many of us will use an overlying set of electronic muffs with the volume turned all the way up so that regular conversation can get through our earplugs or will use earplugs that are designed to allow for normal volume conversation/noises to pass through relatively unabated (like the Surefire EarPro plugs).

But there's more:

With the electronic muffs, they work in one of two ways:

They simply turn off or "clip" when they detect harmful noise or, alternatively, they use "compression" technology to render the incoming dangerous levels of noise into safe levels (i.e. that gunshot will still sound like a gunshot, only at a safe level).

The former, unfortunately, has the habit of simply blocking out all sound at a busy range, particularly if there are other shooters on the line with you or otherwise close to you. This sadly isn't great for allowing you to converse with your lane-mate or training partner when you're at a public range or when you're in a training class and on a hot firing line.

The latter - typically not insignificantly more expensive - allow for much better capability to actually converse with someone else under such conditions.

But not all "compression" works the same. The more expensive units typically will have both quicker "attack time" (how fast they switch on to "attack" that noise once they sense it) as well as quicker "release time" (how quickly they'll allow ambient sound back into the equation again). The faster "reactions" of the device make it easier to carry on conversations).

Finally, not all protection are designed to protect in the same manner.

As I wrote previously (https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/teaching-your-kids-to-shoot.711/#post-13837) my daughter doesn't like shooting the AR with her ProEars ProTac SC-Gold, with an NRR of 25, but has no complaints when I switch her over to my Sordin Supreme Pro X, which has a significantly lower NRR at 19.

Why is this the case?

Remember that different earpro can attenuate different noises differently.....

Want a deeper dive into the "whys" here? :) These two resources from M4Carbine.net should provide some fun:

Hearing protection,, Which one to buy? - Page 39

and.....

trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com

MSA Sordin Supreme performance: the misleading “NRR=18dB” rating

When you bring up MSA Sordin Supreme ear-pro among folks who are serious about shooting sports, it’s pretty much guaranteed that you’ll hear spec-sheet-based performance objections from…

Yet, does this mean that the Pro Ears are no good? Not at all, @cico7 - as for all but shooting the AR, my daughter clearly prefers these over all of the other pairs that I have.

In-reality, @cico7 , how any one of these devices interplays with your unique physical attributes and your perceptions can make one or the other better or worse. If you can beg/borrow/steal :p some to find out for yourself, if only for a few minutes on the line or for one evolution/drill, that can often provide quite a bit of insight that you wouldn't otherwise have. [I wrote a bit about my experiences with the Sordin versus Comtac III versus the Pro Tac SC Gold - https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/electronic-muffs.885/page-2#post-16572]

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
are these worth the price?
I would not wear those giant tubs while shooting a long gun because they will most definitely interfere with your cheek placement on the stock.

I use Howard Light Impact or Walker Slim electronic earmuffs doubled up with foam ear plugs when I'm shooting, unless I'm outdoors by myself shooting suppressed subsonic ammo.

I would not wear those giant tubs while shooting a long gun because they will most definitely interfere with your cheek placement on the stock.

Not necessarily - I've seen many shooters (from hobbyist to professional to instructional cadre) use those (as well as similarly "Mickey Mouse" sized cups) with various long-guns, including both the AR and AK, as well as numerous sporting shotguns.

It really depends on the end-user's build and shooting style.

Not necessarily - I've seen many shooters (from hobbyist to professional to instructional cadre) use those (as well as similarly "Mickey Mouse" sized cups) with various long-guns, including both the AR and AK, as well as numerous sporting shotguns.

It really depends on the end-user's build and shooting style.
Still a hard pass for me.

^ (y) :giggle: I actually have more trouble shooting handgun with larger/higher-profile muffs than I do long-gun.

Despite trying my best not to, because of years of full-contact martial-arts, I still tend to turtle my head a bit too much when I shoot handguns. 😅 I'm tryin'!

Back