testtest

Electronic Muffs

Ahh, OK, found this in another article for reason of cutoff at 85 dbs:

"How much noise is too much?85 Decibels (dB) - the "Action Level" where hearing protection is required. 90 dB - the OSHA, 8 hour average exposure limit. 100 dB - exposures longer than 15 minutes are not recommended. 110 dB - regular exposure of more than 1 minute risks permanent hearing loss."

I recall from my days in Navy industrial environments (metal-working shops, enginerooms, etc) that double hearing protection (foam plugs and muffs) was req'd at 96db. I heeded the earpro req's my entire career, and at 66 yrs old, still have good hearing. :)

I run a set of the Howards and a set of the Walkers.

walkers are better for outdoor in my experience and the howards are better indoor.
Many times I started indoor with the Walker slim profile and switched to my Howards due to better noise reduction.

My Walkers have been better suited outdoors

I have 2 kinds. I have the Walker Razor Patriot electronic ear muffs and the 3M Peltor ProTac III set. I wear the Walkers and loan my 3M Peltors to people I am teaching how to shoot. I wear the Walkers because they are slim. However the 3M Peltors are just as effective. Just more of a traditional earmuff style cosmetically.
You can get either pair fairly cheap. I found my Walkers on Walmarts website for $45.00 then went to Academy and showed them Walmarts price and they not only matched it, they beat it by 5%.
If you want the slim design go Walker, if you want more of a traditional style look go 3M. There are many good ones as mentioned above. But you can't go wrong with either of them.

Attachments

• IMG_20200228_184706451.jpg
    IMG_20200228_184706451.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 457
So I need some help with what is a popular and best rated electronic muffs used for shooting. Awhile back I went to the indoor range and forgot my muffs and used plugs. Well I ended with a guy on my right that brought his WW2 canon and my right ear has never been the same. 🤦‍♂️ Currently I’m using both 32 NRR Plugs and muffs and I’m wondering if electronic muffs would be my best option.
Thanks in advance for any information available.

No, nothing will completely take that kind of boom away.

Your best recourse there is to simply get out. No joke.

In-ear "plugs" - properly worn - offer an impressive level of noise reduction and is a great way to get MORE protection (by "doubling-up," just as you did, with in-ear-plugs worn under over-the-ear muffs) in the most difficult circumstances, such as indoor ranges with lots of sound-reflective surfaces.

But "properly worn" is the key here. Be sure you have properly installed your plugs to begin with, and further, realize that your jaw/facial movements (be it talking or even just swallowing - or chewing gum) can cause the plugs to displace to the point where they are less protective or even not protective at all. Take breaks to re-install the plugs as-necessary. Similarly, while some types of plugs can be re-used (even those cheap "foamies" can, to an extent), they all have finite lifespans.

[ Note that the "lifespan" comment is only intended to be reflective of various disposable single-use or multi-use plugs. This does not apply to various custom-in-ear devices. ]

Same with over-the-ear devices. You absolutely have to be sure that you're wearing them properly: gaps due to your head size/shape, ear size/shape, jawline, hair, and even the temples of your eye-protection can drastically lower the protective capabilities of even the best over-the-ear muffs.

The noise-reduction rating numbers (NRR) might seem like the way to work at this problem, but it's not, and it's because of this "properly worn" issue.

It's not quite as objective as it should be, and quite a bit of the blame for this actually rests on us, the end-users. Much of how well any particular over-the-ear muffs works is related to the simple fit of the ear cups over your ears, and that can be affected by everything from how well the cups' padding conforms to your ear/head, to how well the headband(s) adjust to fit your head, to how the cups' seal may be affected by your eye-protection.

And for those who shoot more dynamically than just at a stand-still-in-the-stall range environment, there's also how well the muffs stay on your head/ears as you start doing more crazy stuff. Yawning, talking and chewing will each displace those in-ear plug little-by-little, and over-the-ear protection may be immune to that: but quickly drop your head to one side, and those over-the-ear muffs are much more likely to come flying off or simply become displaced, versus in-ear plugs. ;)

Generally, the larger the ear cups, the more sound insulation can be stuffed in there, and the higher the noise reduction rating. The problem with the bigger cups come with unique shooter's anatomy/shooting style - some may find that their rolled-up/in shoulders during pistol shooting to cause interference with the larger cups; some may not be able to properly cheek their long-guns. This is why some cups may be relieved towards the bottom outer edges (i.e. certain ProEar Gold models) and is also a reason why some shooters choose slimmer-profile cups (such as those of the Howard Leight Impact Sport units cited by several members above, or cool-guy gear like the Sordin/MSR).

With the slimmer cups typically come less insulation material and lower NRRs. So what do you do, if you feel that the gunshots come through too much? simple - "double up" with a pair of earplugs under the muffs.

Many of us will use an overlying set of electronic muffs with the volume turned all the way up so that regular conversation can get through our earplugs or will use earplugs that are designed to allow for normal volume conversation/noises to pass through relatively unabated (like the Surefire EarPro plugs).

But there's more:

With the electronic muffs, they work in one of two ways:

They simply turn off or "clip" when they detect harmful noise or, alternatively, they use "compression" technology to render the incoming dangerous levels of noise into safe levels (i.e. that gunshot will still sound like a gunshot, only at a safe level).

The former, unfortunately, has the habit of simply blocking out all sound at a busy range, particularly if there are other shooters on the line with you or otherwise close to you. This sadly isn't great for allowing you to converse with your lane-mate or training partner when you're at a public range or when you're in a training class and on a hot firing line.

The latter - typically not insignificantly more expensive - allow for much better capability to actually converse with someone else under such conditions.

But not all "compression" works the same. The more expensive units typically will have both quicker "attack time" (how fast they switch on to "attack" that noise once they sense it) as well as quicker "release time" (how quickly they'll allow ambient sound back into the equation again - this makes it easier to carry on conversations).

Finally, not all protection are designed to protect in the same manner.

As I wrote previously (https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/teaching-your-kids-to-shoot.711/#post-13837) my daughter doesn't like shooting the AR with her ProEars ProTac SC-Gold, with an NRR of, but has no complaints when I switch her over to my Sordin Supreme Pro X, which has a significantly lower NRR at 19.

Remember that different earpro can attenuate different noises differently.

Want a deeper dive into the "whys" here? :) These two resources from M4Carbine.net should provide some fun:

So I need some help with what is a popular and best rated electronic muffs used for shooting. Awhile back I went to the indoor range and forgot my muffs and used plugs. Well I ended with a guy on my right that brought his WW2 canon and my right ear has never been the same. 🤦‍♂️ Currently I’m using both 32 NRR Plugs and muffs and I’m wondering if electronic muffs would be my best option.
Thanks in advance for any information available.

In reading my post above, Keystone19250, I think I went off the deep end a little too fast. 😊 For that, I apologize, but I wanted to give you a bit more information than what you'd asked for - I guess I got carried away! :) Sorry!

So, stepping back a bit, let's start off by actually answering your question above:

"Will you be better off with electronic muffs?"

The answer is still a "no," but allow me to dissect this a bit for you.

The answer is "no" mainly because electronic over-the-ear protection - or in-ear protection, for that matter - is mainly designed to help you hear thing that are not as loud as the gunshot (or whatever other loud noise you're trying to protect yourself from). The microphones and electronics in these systems allow them to not only protect you from loud noises, but will also amplify lower-level noises, too, to both maintain and even enhance situational awareness. And it's also in this vein that electronic ear protection help you maintain the ability to communicate effectively with your shooting partners.

This said, most electronic hearing protection actually have *lesser* NRRs versus their passive counterparts.

So if noise is really what bothers you, pairing those in-ear plugs with a set of larger, more sound-isolating passive muffs (NRRs typically between 32 to 34) will usually do a better job.

-----

And to expand a bit more on what I wrote about electronic earpros above, here's a copy-paste of an old post of mine (from November, 2017) on XDTalk:

As for answering your specific question, JWA, the high-end models by ProEars, MSA/Sordin (including OE for TCI), and 3M/Peltor all offer extremely good over-the-ear protection and are designed with both firearms use and comfort in-mind, for anything ranging from hobby/recreational to competition/duty use. Any of these are well worth the spend.

At the range or in training classes, you'll see the cool kids in their MSA/Sordins. The main reason is because they are just damned comfortable, with the higher-end models offering "gel" earcups that are often referred to as "angel vaginas"
:lol:
(note that lower-line models can be retrofitted with gel-cups, as they are sold separately as user-serviceable components). The Supreme Pro X also boasts excellent weathersealing, which may be important for those who live in wetter climates and/or for those who tend to train year-round. Using two AAA batteries, this makes the unit economical to fuel, and yes they are typically battery misers. Their earcups are very low-profile and thus unobtrusive to even the most tactical-turtled shooter, but this would lead one to suspect that they're not the best at muffling gunshots - however their design proves otherwise as they specifically target noise in those frequencies. There is also a model with an integrated LED lamp, which is useful for all sorts of low-light use. Similarly, models with upgraded headbands also can offer better comfort, and their headbands offer just the right amount of tension to help keep the muffs in-place, even if the shooter is performing dynamic activities (which, for me, was a big issue with the Howard Leight Impact Sports as well as my Brownell's [OE by Altus/ProEars, the same as their "Pro-series," more on ProEars, below]) .

The bad? Their battery-case design is a known weakness, and a good percentage of the units either suffer defects out-of-the-box or manifest with this problem soon thereafter. With their country-of-manufacture being Sweden, out-of-pocket individual buyers are out-of-luck in terms of paying for the unit's trip to that country for warranty service (which is, however, excellent; and for warranty service, they cover the return postage). A stateside company,SRS Tactical out of Florida, offers a diagnostic-and-repair service of approx. $80 (plus shipping to their location) to diagnose and replace the battery box, which is about the same cost as shipping to Sweden, and this repair is also open to out-of-warranty units as well. Some of the luckier owners who see this issue - like myself - see it to a lesser extent, and are able to shim the batteries with conductive copper/aluminum tape to offer a tight enough fit inside the battery box to work around this issue (my headset would cut out when it got warm, when the battery box expanded and the battery post would lose contact with the terminal). Subjectively, some folks feel that sound rendition isn't as good in this unit as it could be, and others, like myself, complain of wind-noise speaker shutdown.

This has been my main stand-alone set as of the last 2 years.

An USA-made alternative to the Sordins are the 3M/Peltor Comtac units, which also use AAAs and are also highly weather-resistant. Higher-end units here also offer the optional gel-cups (which means that you can also retrofit lower-line models with the same, after-the-fact). These are also often offered with comms capabilities, and are furthermore designed with integration into modern "high cut" tactical helmets in-mind. While a bit bulkier in appearance than the Sordins, their overall shape and size actually allow them to easily clear tactical-turtle shoulders and/or various gun-stocks. I'm actually an embarrassingly good example for this, as my ears of combatives/martial-arts have made me a turtler
:oops:
:p
:D
- but as you can see in the images here: https://www.xdtalk.com/posts/6835817/ , it clears my shoulders and my AR's stock just fine, and yes, that's what I run when I have my make-belief-ninja-operator gear on: those OD Comtac IIIs (without comms) are slaved to my Team Wendy Ballistic Helmet via Unity Tactical's MARKs.

Subjectively, I find their sound reproduction to be only OK (maybe a little bit better than the Sordins, but not by much), but I'd like for them to be able to be bumped up a little louder, in terms of amplification.

When my daughter started shooting about 3 years ago (when she was 8 and 1/2), I decided to upgrade my earpros as well as to invest in hers. At the time, my primary set was a pair of Howard Leight Impact Sports, and I wanted something that offered noise compression instead of clipping, to better facilitate my communication with her during our range sessions. I went with the ProEars Gold Series (the "SC" model, at that time) for her, due to the higher NNR and a trial-fit that suggested it would work very well with her head size/shape (as well as the previously mentioned rebranded Pro-Series units for me).

American made, using long-lasting N-batteries, these units offer truly exceptional sound reproduction (the Gold Series, in-particular, has outstanding attack/release time), but I find that they are nowhere near as comfortable in the long haul versus the above two units using gel-cups. Also, while their headbands are generously sized, they don't offer enough "squeeze," and can displace from vigorous physical activity much more easily than the Sordins (unfortunately, I've never used the Comtac IIIs as stand-alones), despite the unit feeling as if though it's squeezing your head more...likely as a byproduct of the less comfortable ear-cups.

[ Please also recall from my previous post above that my daughter thought the ProEars did not perform as well as the Sordins where it comes to the AR. ]

In addition to the Impact Pros, I also own a set of Caldwell E-Max Low Profile and a 3M/Peltor Tactical 100.

Currently, at the lower end with "clipping" electronic earpros, I think the fight is really between the perennial favorites, the Howard Leight Impact Sports (which can be had for as low as $35 to $40), versus the 3M/Peltor Tactical 100s (around $60, full-retail, with discounts running them into the $45 range, to be competitive with the Impact Sports). While the Tactical 300/500 models offer more features, I feel that those features are neither necessary (Bluetooth integration) nor wanted (the hard headbands): to me, the biggest feature of these lower-line and less expensive 100s is the ability of these units to take the coveted 3m/Peltor gel-cup inserts, which essentially renders top-tier comfort to a much more affordable set of earmuffs that's easy on the pocketbook of most shooters.

Whatever you choose, if you tend to store the headsets between use, I would recommend making the spend for lithium primary batteries (yes, even the lithium AAAs) so as to further minimize the chances of alkaline battery leakage and damage.

Similarly, look for a removable headband cover. This is something that the ProEars do not offer, as their headbands are an integrated plastic arc that can be user-replaced/serviced - but comes with an integrated synthetic leather/foam pad that does not "breathe." Aftermarket covers made by OC Tactical, for-example, use a cordura/Dri-Lex setup that makes long days under the sun considerably more bearable.

Also, please consider giving this old post of mine a read, too: https://www.xdtalk.com/posts/7396777/ :)

Last edited:
In reading my post above, Keystone19250, I think I went off the deep end a little too fast. 😊 For that, I apologize, but I wanted to give you a bit more information than what you'd asked for - I guess I got carried away! :) Sorry!

So, stepping back a bit, let's start off by actually answering your question above:

"Will you be better off with electronic muffs?"

The answer is still a "no," but allow me to dissect this a bit for you.

The answer is "no" mainly because electronic over-the-ear protection - or in-ear protection, for that matter - is mainly designed to help you hear thing that are not as loud as the gunshot (or whatever other loud noise you're trying to protect yourself from). The microphones and electronics in these systems allow them to not only protect you from loud noises, but will also amplify lower-level noises, too, to both maintain and even enhance situational awareness. And it's also in this vein that electronic ear protection help you maintain the ability to communicate effectively with your shooting partners.

This said, most electronic hearing protection actually have *lesser* NRRs versus their passive counterparts.

So if noise is really what bothers you, pairing those in-ear plugs with a set of larger, more sound-isolating passive muffs (NRRs typically between 32 to 34) will usually do a better job.

-----

And to expand a bit more on what I wrote about electronic earpros above, here's a copy-paste of an old post of mine (from November, 2017) on XDTalk:

As for answering your specific question, JWA, the high-end models by ProEars, MSA/Sordin (including OE for TCI), and 3M/Peltor all offer extremely good over-the-ear protection and are designed with both firearms use and comfort in-mind, for anything ranging from hobby/recreational to competition/duty use. Any of these are well worth the spend.

At the range or in training classes, you'll see the cool kids in their MSA/Sordins. The main reason is because they are just damned comfortable, with the higher-end models offering "gel" earcups that are often referred to as "angel vaginas"
:lol:
(note that lower-line models can be retrofitted with gel-cups, as they are sold separately as user-serviceable components). The Supreme Pro X also boasts excellent weathersealing, which may be important for those who live in wetter climates and/or for those who tend to train year-round. Using two AAA batteries, this makes the unit economical to fuel, and yes they are typically battery misers. Their earcups are very low-profile and thus unobtrusive to even the most tactical-turtled shooter, but this would lead one to suspect that they're not the best at muffling gunshots - however their design proves otherwise as they specifically target noise in those frequencies. There is also a model with an integrated LED lamp, which is useful for all sorts of low-light use. Similarly, models with upgraded headbands also can offer better comfort, and their headbands offer just the right amount of tension to help keep the muffs in-place, even if the shooter is performing dynamic activities (which, for me, was a big issue with the Howard Leight Impact Sports as well as my Brownell's [OE by Altus/ProEars, the same as their "Pro-series," more on ProEars, below]) .

The bad? Their battery-case design is a known weakness, and a good percentage of the units either suffer defects out-of-the-box or manifest with this problem soon thereafter. With their country-of-manufacture being Sweden, out-of-pocket individual buyers are out-of-luck in terms of paying for the unit's trip to that country for warranty service (which is, however, excellent; and for warranty service, they cover the return postage). A stateside company,SRS Tactical out of Florida, offers a diagnostic-and-repair service of approx. $80 (plus shipping to their location) to diagnose and replace the battery box, which is about the same cost as shipping to Sweden, and this repair is also open to out-of-warranty units as well. Some of the luckier owners who see this issue - like myself - see it to a lesser extent, and are able to shim the batteries with conductive copper/aluminum tape to offer a tight enough fit inside the battery box to work around this issue (my headset would cut out when it got warm, when the battery box expanded and the battery post would lose contact with the terminal). Subjectively, some folks feel that sound rendition isn't as good in this unit as it could be, and others, like myself, complain of wind-noise speaker shutdown.

This has been my main stand-alone set as of the last 2 years.

An USA-made alternative to the Sordins are the 3M/Peltor Comtac units, which also use AAAs and are also highly weather-resistant. Higher-end units here also offer the optional gel-cups (which means that you can also retrofit lower-line models with the same, after-the-fact). These are also often offered with comms capabilities, and are furthermore designed with integration into modern "high cut" tactical helmets in-mind. While a bit bulkier in appearance than the Sordins, their overall shape and size actually allow them to easily clear tactical-turtle shoulders and/or various gun-stocks. I'm actually an embarrassingly good example for this, as my ears of combatives/martial-arts have made me a turtler
:oops:
:p
:D
- but as you can see in the images here: https://www.xdtalk.com/posts/6835817/ , it clears my shoulders and my AR's stock just fine, and yes, that's what I run when I have my make-belief-ninja-operator gear on: those OD Comtac IIIs (without comms) are slaved to my Team Wendy Ballistic Helmet via Unity Tactical's MARKs.

Subjectively, I find their sound reproduction to be only OK (maybe a little bit better than the Sordins, but not by much), but I'd like for them to be able to be bumped up a little louder, in terms of amplification.

When my daughter started shooting about 3 years ago (when she was 8 and 1/2), I decided to upgrade my earpros as well as to invest in hers. At the time, my primary set was a pair of Howard Leight Impact Sports, and I wanted something that offered noise compression instead of clipping, to better facilitate my communication with her during our range sessions. I went with the ProEars Gold Series (the "SC" model, at that time) for her, due to the higher NNR and a trial-fit that suggested it would work very well with her head size/shape (as well as the previously mentioned rebranded Pro-Series units for me).

American made, using long-lasting N-batteries, these units offer truly exceptional sound reproduction (the Gold Series, in-particular, has outstanding attack/release time), but I find that they are nowhere near as comfortable in the long haul versus the above two units using gel-cups. Also, while their headbands are generously sized, they don't offer enough "squeeze," and can displace from vigorous physical activity much more easily than the Sordins (unfortunately, I've never used the Comtac IIIs as stand-alones), despite the unit feeling as if though it's squeezing your head more...likely as a byproduct of the less comfortable ear-cups.

[ Please also recall from my previous post above that my daughter thought the ProEars did not perform as well as the Sordins where it comes to the AR. ]

In addition to the Impact Pros, I also own a set of Caldwell E-Max Low Profile and a 3M/Peltor Tactical 100.

Currently, at the lower end with "clipping" electronic earpros, I think the fight is really between the perennial favorites, the Howard Leight Impact Sports (which can be had for as low as $35 to $40), versus the 3M/Peltor Tactical 100s (around $60, full-retail, with discounts running them into the $45 range, to be competitive with the Impact Sports). While the Tactical 300/500 models offer more features, I feel that those features are neither necessary (Bluetooth integration) nor wanted (the hard headbands): to me, the biggest feature of these lower-line and less expensive 100s is the ability of these units to take the coveted 3m/Peltor gel-cup inserts, which essentially renders top-tier comfort to a much more affordable set of earmuffs that's easy on the pocketbook of most shooters.

Whatever you choose, if you tend to store the headsets between use, I would recommend making the spend for lithium primary batteries (yes, even the lithium AAAs) so as to further minimize the chances of alkaline battery leakage and damage.

Similarly, look for a removable headband cover. This is something that the ProEars do not offer, as their headbands are an integrated plastic arc that can be user-replaced/serviced - but comes with an integrated synthetic leather/foam pad that does not "breathe." Aftermarket covers made by OC Tactical, for-example, use a cordura/Dri-Lex setup that makes long days under the sun considerably more bearable.

Also, please consider giving this old post of mine a read, too: https://www.xdtalk.com/posts/7396777/ :)
TSiWRX, First I want say that I found both your post very well written and extremely informative. This is why I enjoy this forum so much since it’s members like you that are a wealth of knowledge. I’m off to the outdoor range today with my Savage AR10 308 to try out my new metal targets. I will continue to use foam plugs and my Howard Leight L3 as my Electronic muffs don’t come till later this afternoon. “Amazon”
I went with Xcell 100’s what I saw as a mid priced unit with great reviews.

I used to use foam ear plugs under 26db passive muffs. They get quite hard on the temples after a while, so, I switched to a set of Walker Razors. Frankly, I wish I’d stayed with the passive setup. Yes, it makes conversation quite challenging, but when I got sandwiched in an indoor range between two clowns shooting 5.56 ARs it was both concussive and hearing impairing. My son and I both quit after the 5th or 6th simultaneous blasts.
I expect that the Walker Razors would be perfect for outdoor shooting, and in fact have tried them for pistol from .22SR to 45ACP, and .300 Blackout supers.
I recently added a set of Decibullz to my kit, and paired them with my Walker Razors in a recent indoor range outing. I believe they did quite an effective job of blocking the majority of harmful sounds, but I’ve suffered from tinnitus ever since the previous disastrous outing. Nonetheless, I’ll stick with the Decibullz/Razors combination, as it reduces the volume significantly, while the Razors amplify speech rather effectively. It’s the best balance I’ve tried thus far.

Purchased a set of Caldwell E-Max Low Profile Behind The Neck and really like them. Actually got two sets because my Dad was looking for something to use when cutting wood. Chose these because I don't like wearing hats or having anything on my head and they were reasonably priced for the first set. Used them for working in the shop, running a Partner saw, chain saw and for shooting. Like the fact that they are comfortable, volume can be adjusted and if you put a sling or something similar over your head they don't get caught if you are a little low. Recommended them to a mechanic and he loves them for the same reason.
Know the two reviews aren't great on the website but other sites that carry them have decent reviews. Runs forever on a couple AAA batteries and my did happen to break because I stored them incorrectly (floor of the vehicle) but when I contacted Caldwell they warrantied them.

Caldwell Shooting

Take care,
Walt

Updating my most recent response, I'm officially taking back my endorsement of Decibullz. Let me explain. These devices are rated for 26db with the silicon ear plus, and 31db with the foam ear plugs (both included in the kit). I've already stated that my previous scenario combined 26db passive muffs, which were effective stand alone, but were significantly more effective combined with foam rollies. When I combined Decibullz with Walkers I had a good experience, and felt I had a good combination.
Last Thursday I took my wife to the range with me, where I quickly discovered that I was not properly equipped for 2 shooters. I had my Decibullz, my Walkers, and a package of foam rollies. Being a chivalrous dude, I gave my wife a pair of rollies and the Walkers, electing to use the Decibullz alone for myself. I was in the range for perhaps 30 seconds before I was forced to leave. I felt that I had put sound amplifiers, rather than sound mufflers in my ears. My ears are still ringing today, though I fear that's never going away (Submarine Sonar tech in the Navy, tinnitus is a job hazard).
I walked out to the range shop, picked up a set of 3M Peltor 30db passive muffs ($31), and reentered the range. To my surprise, I never had AS QUIET A SHOOTING EXPERIENCE, EVER! No added rollies, not expensive Decibullz....just the 30db muffs. I'm sold. They are big and bulky, but too bad. I'm keeping them. Ear protection is becoming a primary focus in shooting (aside from hitting the target).
I would have bet that foam rollies and 26db Walkers would give me a significant level of protection...but it didn't come close to the comfort of those 3Ms. I recall from earlier training that a 3db change represents a doubling or a halving of sound energy, so it shouldn't have been such a surprise that going from 26db sound reduction to 30db sound reduction would represent a dramatic and detectable change. Good thing to remember. It turns that pithy phrase on its ear, so to speak...."less is more" and conversely, "more, is less".
I like the concept of electronic muffs...but I'd rather learn sign language for use in the range, than sign language for everyday communication because I've lost my hearing due to my selected recreation.

Walker also has ear buds that have a lower and higher decibel rating. I’m currently trying to get my hands on a pair. But from the reviews I’ve seen a lot of people are liking them.
My wife and I have muffs and buds. I don't really notice a difference between the two outside, we both use the buds the majority of the time. Indoors or shooting my rifles I usually use my muffs. We also have molded to fit ear plugs. The ability to converse without semi yelling is a great plus with the Walkers Muffs/Buds.

Last edited:
Back