testtest

Electronic Muffs

I also have a pair of these. I like them in use outdoors. Wouldn't know how to act at an indoor range.
I don't think I would like an indoor range either, except maybe during inclimate weather. It would be too closed-in for me with the dividers between the lanes, etc. Last time I shot in an indoor range was on a military base (many, many yrs ago), and there were no lane dividing partitions.

I don't think I would like an indoor range either, except maybe during inclimate weather. It would be too closed-in for me with the dividers between the lanes, etc. Last time I shot in an indoor range was on a military base (many, many yrs ago), and there were no lane dividing partitions.
We just got a new indoor range a little over a year ago, I go just to rent guns that I am interested in, but, it’s really loud in there being closed in, plus this range only has 5 lanes, so you are kinda close to each other, this range is about 25 miles from where I live, my gun club is just 1 mile from my house, I did have a set of the electronic muffs from Wheeler Engineering from Midway USA, they work good.

The club I belonged to in MA has 24hr member access so it was nice going anytime I wanted especially late nights. You can shoot anything smaller then .50BMG at the 25yd indoor range including full auto. There was also a separate indoor range dedicated to .22lr I have Walker razors but I primarily wear my Howard Leight Impact muffs with foamie's.

The club I belonged to in MA has 24hr member access so it was nice going anytime I wanted especially late nights. You can shoot anything smaller then .50BMG at the 25yd indoor range including full auto. There was also a separate indoor range dedicated to .22lr I have Walker razors but I primarily wear my Howard Leight Impact muffs with foamie's.
Same with my club but pistol or .22 rifle only for indoors. I always go to the indoor range because people are more in check. (I think) I may have to start using foam as well with my Howard Leights. I do like the quietness of the big cans on your head at the range but cant hear if someone needs to get your attention. They are really great for when the wife is yelling at you. :)

I have Decibel Defense to use while practicing on an acoustic drum kit. Work great, allow me to have ear phones with music on and still protect my hearing. The head strap is cushioned well and the protector section fits well. The sound level reduction is great and its enjoyable to practice for a few hours without having ringing ears

I've posted my thoughts on the "electronic" muffs before and am odd man out unpopular. It is possible that advances in technology has improved these well advertised gadgets but never would I, over the long term, trust there would be no hearing loss. I tried them years ago in shoot school and at the end of the first day my ears were ringing. Never tried them since. I use the highest rating muffs on the market for protection along with foam plugs. When I want to shoot I shoot, when I want conversation I find an environment that is conducive to it. I'm not going to instruct or speak at the same time firing is nearby. I don't mind removing my muffs to either give instruction or receive it. I understand the convenience of being able to fire a round, give verbal feedback without removing muffs. Like nearly everything in life it is personal choice and what you believe is adequate. I also have extensive experience with hearing aids. The VA is the largest consumer, so much so they set the price. New technology for hearing aids is nearly a monthly advance. Still, you can trust me on this, there is no aid yet that will "close out" background noise, allowing for better conversation. While there are many areas where hearing aids are near miraculous, recovering hearing loss in the conversational tones is non existent! My advice is to proceed with caution.

I have howard leight impact sports, walker razor, and an old brownells branded pro ears. IMO, they're all inadequate at indoor ranges, when firing centerfire rifle calibers. That's why I highly prefer outdoor ranges. Being fairly young, and growing up in a big blue city. The past year in particular, I've had a lot of friends visit to learn about and experience firearms. Being able to give instructions, and know they're heard is huge. That's why I tend to carry 4 sets of electronic muffs in my range bag.

May sound funny, but I use these. I use them for everything ( I like things like that). I use them to shoot, when I am riding the mower, when I am playing music. They sound pretty good and eliminate a bunch of noise.

Back