testtest

Electronic Muffs

So I need some help with what is a popular and best rated electronic muffs used for shooting. Awhile back I went to the indoor range and forgot my muffs and used plugs. Well I ended with a guy on my right that brought his WW2 canon and my right ear has never been the same. 🤦‍♂️ Currently I’m using both 32 NRR Plugs and muffs and I’m wondering if electronic muffs would be my best option.
Thanks in advance for any information available.

So I need some help with what is a popular and best rated electronic muffs used for shooting. Awhile back I went to the indoor range and forgot my muffs and used plugs. Well I ended with a guy on my right that brought his WW2 canon and my right ear has never been the same. 🤦‍♂️ Currently I’m using both 32 NRR Plugs and muffs and I’m wondering if electronic muffs would be my best option.
Thanks in advance for any information available.
I run walkers they are awesome

I use Howard Leight impact & also Walker Razor. I typically double up on earplugs depending on what or where I'm shooting. Another thing I do is keep the arms of my safety glasses tilted above my muffs because sound will transfer through the plastic.

Yeah I guess I understand nothing will eliminate the sound but the ones I saw at Cabela’s ranging in price from
$80 to $120 were only rated between
27 and 30 dB reduction one as low as 21
I have industrial manufacturing foam plugs rated at 33.
Amazon runs some good deals on the electronic ear protection. Just stick with a known brand and you can't go wrong.

Yeah I guess I understand nothing will eliminate the sound but the ones I saw at Cabela’s ranging in price from
$80 to $120 were only rated between
27 and 30 dB reduction one as low as 21
I have industrial manufacturing foam plugs rated at 33.
The walkers and Impact ear muffs are low profile so they aren't terrible when shouldering a rifle and trying to look down the sights

I have Walker electronic Muffs and Ear Buds. I haven't yet tried the Ear Buds, But I use the Muffs with silicon ear plugs to boot. Together they work fine and I can hear conversations. From reading articles on the subject, noise-cancelling Muffs/Ear buds, cancel sounds over 85 decibels or so, This leaves conversations (at about 80dbs) alone while eliminating noise over this amount such as gunshots. The article posted below shows the different caliber dbs and other interesting facts. I've extracted an excerpt below on just the section on electronic noise cancelling hearing protection for your perusal. :)

"Electronic Noise-Cancelling Hearing Protection – This design incorporates an ear **** style and integrates it with electronic technology that reduces the noise down to a level that isn’t harmful to the human ear. The entire sound dampening process takes place faster than the blink of an eye as the suppressed sound is transmitted to the wearer almost instantly. The best feature of electronic hearing protection is the ability to hear everything that is going on around you while you are shooting. In many situations, such as on the range, during training, or while hunting; this can be a great benefit. Of course, due to the technology needed, electronic hearing protection tends to be the most expensive of all the hearing protection devices. A number of the higher end electronic models may have other enhancements such as a separate volume control for each side of the ear muffs, enhanced adjustability, a battery saver feature to conserve battery use, and ambient sound magnification. The ambient sound magnification is a great benefit for hunters as it amplifies noise to a degree that is far greater than the naked ear can hear. At the same time, the augmented sound is instantly dampened when a shot is fired."

I have Walker electronic Muffs and Ear Buds. I haven't yet tried the Ear Buds, But I use the Muffs with silicon ear plugs to boot. Together they work fine and I can hear conversations. From reading articles on the subject, noise-cancelling Muffs/Ear buds, cancel sounds over 85 decibels or so, This leaves conversations (at about 80dbs) alone while eliminating noise over this amount such as gunshots. The article posted below shows the different caliber dbs and other interesting facts. I've extracted an excerpt below on just the section on electronic noise cancelling hearing protection for your perusal. :)

"Electronic Noise-Cancelling Hearing Protection – This design incorporates an ear **** style and integrates it with electronic technology that reduces the noise down to a level that isn’t harmful to the human ear. The entire sound dampening process takes place faster than the blink of an eye as the suppressed sound is transmitted to the wearer almost instantly. The best feature of electronic hearing protection is the ability to hear everything that is going on around you while you are shooting. In many situations, such as on the range, during training, or while hunting; this can be a great benefit. Of course, due to the technology needed, electronic hearing protection tends to be the most expensive of all the hearing protection devices. A number of the higher end electronic models may have other enhancements such as a separate volume control for each side of the ear muffs, enhanced adjustability, a battery saver feature to conserve battery use, and ambient sound magnification. The ambient sound magnification is a great benefit for hunters as it amplifies noise to a degree that is far greater than the naked ear can hear. At the same time, the augmented sound is instantly dampened when a shot is fired."

Very informative thank you I’ve been looking for a good caliber dB chart or reference guide.

I run walkers they are awesome
I have several sets of electronic muffs. I use a set of Walkers the most. Picked them up shortly after I started teaching firearms at the local police academy in early 2000s. I love them and it allowed me to coach recruits and still protect my hearing. When in the indoor range we recommended the recruits use both ear buds and muffs.

Conversation at 80dB? Use your inside voice, man....

I have a sound company. I do live concerts. Small to mid-scale stuff - county fairs, bar gigs, wineries, weddings. 80dB is a quiet section of a concert song, not conversation. Typical full-bore rock show for me in a bar is about 90-96 so people can still shout at the bartender to order a drink ;) Straight up conversation should be in the 50s-60s...if that.

I have several sets of electronic muffs. I use a set of Walkers the most. Picked them up shortly after I started teaching firearms at the local police academy in early 2000s. I love them and it allowed me to coach recruits and still protect my hearing. When in the indoor range we recommended the recruits use both ear buds and muffs.
Even with the new muffs I’ll continue to use foam plugs also.

My wife and I are using the Howard-Leight Impact Sport model. No problems with them whatsoever so far. I'm at the range alone a lot of times, and I can turn the volume knob up and hear any vehicles coming up the gravel entrance road to the range. The road is basically behind me, so the earpro works well to alert me to anyone coming up the road, even before I can see them.

$49.93 per pr from Amazon at the moment. 7 colors to choose from.

I have a sound company. I do live concerts. Small to mid-scale stuff - county fairs, bar gigs, wineries, weddings. 80dB is a quiet section of a concert song, not conversation. Typical full-bore rock show for me in a bar is about 90-96 so people can still shout at the bartender to order a drink ;) Straight up conversation should be in the 50s-60s...if that.
Well it is an outdoor range to my defense lmao 😂

Well, I guess I remembered wrong when I read it, but it was stated that noise cancellation took place at about 85 dbs. In this case, why allow between 60-80 dbs? Do they want you to be able to listen to a quiet section of a concert song when shooting :) ? maybe shouting can get to that level? I'm not really sure, but I'm guessing that the cut off of 85 was for a legitimate reason :unsure:

I also use Howard Leight Impacts. I will say that they are great to talk with but I think they are a bit loud with gunshots. I guess this is from many years with mounting 2 trashcan size cans on my ears. I will say that even though I think they are loud, my ears are never ringing after. I always bring extra batteries just in case. (that happened once that I needed them)

Back