testtest

Can Browning's Masterpiece Be Surpassed?

Dig it! Another excellent carry wheelgun. Wouldn't it be great if Smith would make these with a lightweight frame? AFAIK they never made any 3" Model 12s, and I'm not sure the 12s were rated for +P or +P+.
I personally prefer the weight of a steel frame gun. I'd be happy if S&W would go back to making them like this again. Forged steel frames, high polish blue. No stupid lock.

Technically no gun could/should be rated for +P+ since there is no SAAMI standard for it. SAAMI only recognizes +P.

The Smith and Wesson Model 65 and Model 67 make nice companions.
Mod.65-2.JPG
Model 67.jpg

I personally prefer the weight of a steel frame gun. I'd be happy if S&W would go back to making them like this again. Forged steel frames, high polish blue. No stupid lock.

Technically no gun could/should be rated for +P+ since there is no SAAMI standard for it. SAAMI only recognizes +P.
All S&W frames on revolvers are forged, I hate the MIM internals, they need to go back to either forged or machined internals again. They do make some models now without the lock, just a few models, I think mostly J-frames.

“Military Intelligence” is the age old joke 😉
Unfortunately you lose me with three items:

polymer frame
scandium slide
proprietary trigger

-My personal preference is for all metal frame guns, preferably steel, but I do like my P220.
-Again I prefer a nice steel slide. I look forward to seeing the recoil system you would have to invent to be able to use a scandium slide with a 10mm 200gr slug traveling at 1000fps, in a compact pistol. A challenge indeed.
-Again personal issue but I despise the word proprietary and anything it pertains to. No Apple anything for me.
It has not escaped my mind that a stainless steel slide version of my new operating system may be an option. However, polymer frames are here to stay in regard to EDC.

I believe that firearm innovation has been driven by technical innovation in ammo design. Look how the minnie ball brought about rifled barrels for military arms, and how the advent of brass casing brought about changes in firearms that we still use today. There have been several attempts to use caseless ammo, but the market for such never materialized. But folks continued to use their muzzle loaders well into the 1900's. Just takes time I guess. The question is if one does "invent" a better mouse trap will the gov't allow it to be sold to the general public?
Maybe you have some knowledge with this: I haven't researched yet so I assume that the majority of 10mm ammunition is loaded with powder for use in long barrelled handguns. Short barrelled 9mm handguns have driven ammunition manufacturers to produce 9mm defense loads with faster burning powder for use in those short barrels. With the 10mm cartridge currently used mostly for hunting and firearm manufacturers making long barrel models, my new handgun could persuade ammo manufacturers to develope more 10mm loads for short barrels. I'm looking at a barrel length around 4 inches, which is considered compact. This becomes a consideration because of my intent to expand the 10mm cartridge into the EDC market. Those faster burning powders would improve the ballistic performance of the 10mm from short barrels. I hope the govt will allow, my target market includes civilians.

Military Intelligence is an oxymoron sort of like a mini disaster, an accurate estimate, or as I describe plastic guns: imperfect perfection.
"Diminutive 10mm" - another oxymoron that could describe my new handgun. You've got to have some fun with this stuff!

I'm looking at a barrel length around 4 inches, which is considered compact. This becomes a consideration because of my intent to expand the 10mm cartridge into the EDC market. Those faster burning powders would improve the ballistic performance of the 10mm from short barrels. I hope the govt will allow, my target market includes civilians.
Sounds like maybe your first order of bidness should be to build up a 4" 10mm on an existing platform (Commander-length 1911?) and work up loads of this sort on your own. If these turn out to be feasible, then drive on and develop a suitable sized gun to launch them.

Keep in mind that even if you come up with a new system that substantially reduces recoil, the hideous muzzle blast of such a thing is still going to be a factor. TANSTAAFL! ;)

BTW, I should add that I really like your idea of using the 10mm in a compact, easy-to-shoot shoulder arm. This is in the neighborhood of what Jeff Cooper had in mind with his "Thumper" concept. (In essense, a bigger-bore M1 carbine.)

Sounds like maybe your first order of bidness should be to build up a 4" 10mm on an existing platform (Commander-length 1911?) and work up loads of this sort on your own. If these turn out to be feasible, then drive on and develop a suitable sized gun to launch them.

Keep in mind that even if you come up with a new system that substantially reduces recoil, the hideous muzzle blast of such a thing is still going to be a factor. TANSTAAFL! ;)

BTW, I should add that I really like your idea of using the 10mm in a compact, easy-to-shoot shoulder arm. This is in the neighborhood of what Jeff Cooper had in mind with his "Thumper" concept. (In essense, a bigger-bore M1 carbine.)
It exists.

It’s known as the Glock 29.

I never had problems with near-nuclear handloads (135gr Nosler being pushed north of 1600fps out of the 3.9” barrel, with slight overpressure signs) when I had one, and my wrists could take the beating.

It exists.

I never had problems with near-nuclear handloads (135gr Nosler being pushed north of 1600fps out of the 3.9” barrel, with slight overpressure signs) when I had one, and my wrists could take the beating.
Well, there ya go. I'm not a Glock fan so am not familiar with all their hundreds of soulless, lookalike variations.

So it sounds like an EDC-sized 10mm already exists, for those who want one.

Me, I'm quite happy with .45ACP ballistics. I'm also good with .38+P, and the better 9mm loads, of which there are many these days.

Here is a S & W Model 457 in .45ACP. It's steel-framed utilizes a double-action/single action trigger mechanism. It's out of production and I would think in day's market it would be a good candidate for resurrection after an upgrade. Unless you determine a suitable load for a 200 grain + hard cast bullet the difference in foot pounds between the 10mm and .45 is not that great in terms of commercial ammo. If I was going to shoot hotter loads in my Glock 20 then I'd first need to get heavy duty springs. As Tom McHale points out in this article "it would indeed be a boring world, if we were all limited to the one “best” choice". I guess that's why golfers carry so many different clubs.

S&W 457.jpg

Here is a S & W Model 457 in .45ACP. It's steel-framed utilizes a double-action/single action trigger mechanism. It's out of production and I would think in day's market it would be a good candidate for resurrection after an upgrade. Unless you determine a suitable load for a 200 grain + hard cast bullet the difference in foot pounds between the 10mm and .45 is not that great in terms of commercial ammo. If I was going to shoot hotter loads in my Glock 20 then I'd first need to get heavy duty springs. As Tom McHale points out in this article "it would indeed be a boring world, if we were all limited to the one “best” choice". I guess that's why golfers carry so many different clubs.

View attachment 20756
The HK45C is a pretty good modern version of this. Slightly thicker in the grip, but HK's recoil system makes it super controllable.

Yes, muzzle blast is a factor. Thanks for the Jeff Cooper info!

It exists.

Yeah, the Glock 29 is around. But it has an even bigger "brick" slide compared to it's 9mm siblings. Once again, Glock could only use weight to tame the 10mm's recoil in Browning's recoil operated system. And Glock didn't really tame it. I'm glad your wrists could take the beating. An operating system that doesn't rely upon additional weight to manage recoil is where the industry must go. It opens the doors to even lighter handguns and higher pressure chamberings.

Back