testtest

Coolest Movie Guns of the ’80s

Awesome article! :) As a child of the 80s, I really enjoyed the read. (y)

I'd also like to nominate the Knight's MasterKey -

billy-predator.jpg

As well as the Ingram Mac-10 -

1632238604977.jpeg

And, of-course, the many iterations of the UZI -

images

I grew up in the 80's, but somehow missed most of these movies. I saw Commando, Rambo and Terminator 2 multiple times. Commando was my favorite. The M16's were my favorite of Arnold's guns, but I was young enough to believe that they could be accurately fired while dual-wielding from the hip.

^ My dad took me to see Predator ( https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093773/) when it first came out.

English was still quite new to my parents at the time, and my dad thought it was gonna be "a Rambo movie." Even though I was fluent in English by that time, I certainly didn't know any better as a 12-year-old, so I just followed my dad into the theater. OMG I was so scared - I thought Predator was a ghost or something..... :ROFLMAO: My dad and I loved it, and it was really our first introduction to Arnold. I *really* loved Commando, even with all its cheesy lines.

Back in 2018, the studios reprised the original with The Predator ( https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3829266/ ). My daughter -who even as a young child preferred live-action movies to cartoons- had by-then be raised on the canon, and it was with more than a bit of nostalgia that I took her to see this one, particularly as she was the same age as I was, when my dad took me to the original. We both agreed that the ending could have been a lot better, but thought it was still a fun enough ride. :) My dad got a kick out of the snapshot I sent to him of our ticket stub.

We still watch Predator whenever it comes on cable or streaming, and Alien vs. Predator is probably her favorite, likely due to the main protagonist.

Lethal Weapon and the beretta 92

^ Agreed - although I know that Shane Black wrote Lethal Weapon before the "Heroic Bloodshed" genre really took off in HK cinema, I really think that where the Beretta 92 made its impression on me as a kid was with the often dual-wielding protagonists in those Asian films:

26d9cb7fa6ea3c4d37520a04d9d8407a.jpg

^ John Woo's breakthrough 1986 A Better Tomorrow, which influenced so many films worldwide.

I am thinking the Winchester 1887 shotgun from, I think, the second Terminator movie.

Not sure of the year but the modified m1901 lever action magazine fed shotgun from Jumangi was cool.

Last edited:
^ Agreed - although I know that Shane Black wrote Lethal Weapon before the "Heroic Bloodshed" genre really took off in HK cinema, I really think that where the Beretta 92 made its impression on me as a kid was with the often dual-wielding protagonists in those Asian films:

26d9cb7fa6ea3c4d37520a04d9d8407a.jpg

^ John Woo's breakthrough 1986 A Better Tomorrow, which influenced so many films worldwide.
Man…that just makes me wanna binge a bunch of John Woo.

I have to admit, his JCVD movie “Hard Target” is one of my guilty pleasures…

(And, yeah, I know HT came out in the ‘90’s…but Wilford Brimley as a badass Cajun just makes it all worthwhile…)

^ Did you watch Jean Claude Van Johnson on Amazon Prime?

It's pretty funny, I though, and pretty well-done. :)

I thought it was cool how Woo reprised that through-the-glass shoot-out in Hard Boiled, in Hard Target.

-----

At my age those years kinda blend together, I sorta lump them all into post college preteen and teenage daughter years years lol.

I thinknit was 70s but I liked the Diamondback and Magazine fed Mauser broomhandle from Brannigan too.

No kidding.

I used to talk about my favorite movies with my undergrads. They were, like, "Oh yeah! My dad showed that to me," or "Cool! I watched that with my older brother!"

Then it became "Wow, that movie came out the year I was born!"

Now it's, "Whut? old man?"

:ROFLMAO:

^ Did you watch Jean Claude Van Johnson on Amazon Prime?

It's pretty funny, I though, and pretty well-done. :)

I thought it was cool how Woo reprised that through-the-glass shoot-out in Hard Boiled, in Hard Target.

-----

No kidding.

I used to talk about my favorite movies with my undergrads. They were, like, "Oh yeah! My dad showed that to me," or "Cool! I watched that with my older brother!"

Then it became "Wow, that movie came out the year I was born!"

Now it's, "Whut? old man?"

:ROFLMAO:
Yeah, the jump through the windows scene, the bad guy running a T/C Contender…he lifted a LOT from Hard Boiled…

To quote The Onion: “John Woo is the s**t.”…

On 2nd thought, looked more like a 30/30 than 45/70 Gov't and a 16" bbl. Me, I love those old Contenders. Still have mine from back in the early 80's. Even had a 10"bbl in 45cal/410ga combo once. Shot it once from a loose Creedmore position on a concrete sidewalk .... decided I didn't really have a need for that one. Traded it for a 10" 30 Herret IIRC in the early 90's.

Edit: to change description of caliber after a brief thought
Nope: went back and looked again ... it's got no shoulder so it almost has to be a 45/70gov't

OK, what do y'all think?

Last edited:
Wanted a Beretta 92FS ever since Mel Gibson made them cool in Lethal weapon. Only took me 30yrs..lol Got a good deal on this one used at a local gun shop. It has some minor cosmetic issues, but runs great. Plus being US Military issue for a long time i think kinda adds to the cool factor too. It's a fun range toy..being such a big heavy gun in 9mm..it has no recoil really..and slick/smooth as butter...

Wanted a Beretta 92FS ever since Mel Gibson made them cool in Lethal weapon. Only took me 30yrs..lol Got a good deal on this one used at a local gun shop. It has some minor cosmetic issues, but runs great. Plus being US Military issue for a long time i think kinda adds to the cool factor too. It's a fun range toy..being such a big heavy gun in 9mm..it has no recoil really..and slick/smooth as butter...
Couldnt get pic to load..:(

Back